Expand / Gate for cymbals ?

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Just wondering what you guys normally do with cymbals... when using all sample replacement for the rest of the kit. I have a mix right now that is all sample replaced except cymbals and OH. Do you guys try to remove ALL the extraneous noise with eq AND a gate / expander? Especially when some fuck ups on drummer's part can be heard in the cymbals. Can some one possibly post a sample of what just their hi hat or ride sounds like , so I can see how much extra noise should be taken out? I know with overheads it is pretty impossible to get all the excess noise out. But even with heavy EQ you can hear the whole kit in the cymbals ( I didn't record it). Would this noise really make a difference in the final mix? Or do I just say fuck it and leave them how they are ? I do feel like the background noise between the ride , hi hat and OH combined is adding mud to the overall sound.

Edit the highhat and ride channel clean when they're not being played, that should clean it up quite a lot. If you still have trouble with the kit being too loud in the overheads (I hardly ever find that a negative thing) you could try compressing the OH's sidechained by the snare track.

I agree that some spill adds realism , but I'm having some problems where some snare hits that are soo slightly off are poking through the mix and it sounds like two snare hits in parts... maybe I need to EQ a little more to try and remove the snare bleed. (Editing overheads is a BITCH by the way !)

Yeah I edit all my drums together , but you can still barely hear that other damn snare... it was real shitty sounding hence the replacement

I used to have this problem but with slip editing the entire drums together you keep everything alligned and shouldn't be able to hear the OH bleed that much through the sampled kit. If the snare hit sits exactly where it did orignially with the overheads i dont see how there is a problem. Unless there were phase issues?

Cloy , it sounds like your problem is with delay compensation , try printing the sampled drums and cutting the printed track to the first transient , then align it with the original track - should be on time after that. I think my problem is just that the Overheads weren't edited quite well enough

it depends, in your situation not so much since you're just looking to clean up where someone messed up if I'm not mistaken. Ducking is good to get the snare out of the overheads or whatever it is you decide to key, typically the snare though.