experiences with C3000, AT2050, AT4040, ST59?

sharkfistsound

New Metal Member
Aug 14, 2011
Hey everyone, I'm working on piecing my set up together right now. Will be using a custom built pc w/ windows 7, recording into sonar X1 via M-audio profire 2626. I'm looking for a vocal mic in the $300 range, been doing research on the models i listed in the subject
C 3000, AT2050, AT4040, and the ST59

I will mainly be recording vocals with the condenser but will also use it as a room mic for guitar, maybe even during drum tracking depending on the scenario. If anyone could shed some light on their experiences with any of these mic's
that'd be great. I'm mainly going to be recording heavy music but also some rock, rap and whatever else may come along.

Thanks!

Yeah I'd take the Audio Technica 4040 for sure. 2 if you can afford it.

thats what I was kinda thinkin, i've used it before at the college i attend and it seemed like a great mic for the price. thanks guys

C3000 is bright as hell. Can work on some things but not a great utility mic in my opinion.

AT4040 on the other hand is a great all round mic. Used it on vocals, guitars, room mic's and ride cymbals with good results.

I have an at4040. Unsurprisingly it's the best mic I've owned and I can assure you that you will not be disappointed. Great on everything that requires a microphone with a smooth, flat and extended frequency response, so vocals, cymbals, acoustic instruments etc. Mine is VERY well built as well.

Also owned a own a AT4040 but on vox, I often have trouble with the S-sounds. Anyone confirm? Maybe I should try a different pop-filter.