Experimental music

Spungfoo

New Metal Member
Mar 27, 2003
Visit site
Heya all. New guy here...

I'm looking for new experimental bands to check out... stuff that's more akin to soundscapes and performance art and the like. A few examples of what I mean:

Mike Patton - Adult Themes for Voice
Throbbing Gristle
Naked City
John Cage
Merzbow

Hope to hear from ya.

Ooo Im gonna introduce you into some great artists, then.

I highly suggest you check out:

King Crimson - Larks Tongues in Aspic, Discipline, The Power to Believe, STarless and Bible BLack

Slint - Spiderland and Self Titled

Einstürzende Neubauten - Silence is Sexy

Buckethead - Colma, Giant Robot, Monsters and Robots

Mogwai - EP + 2 ( I think its called EP+6 now)

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Radiohead - Kid A

Sigur Ros - ()

Godspeed you BLack EMperor - Lift your Skinny Fists like Antennas to Heaven

The Books - Thought for Food

Don't know about Mogwai or Radiohead, but I'll stear you in the direction of:

Jim Thirwal (Throbbing Gristle, Steroid Maximus). Steriod Maximus being an electronic project he has. Very kool stuff.
Praxis
Bill Laswell
2nd Gen
Ice
Techno Animal
Namanax
Brighter Death Now
Moonraker (Patton, Buckethead, Mix Master Mike)
Ice
Curse Of The Golden Vampire (J.Broadrick, Alec Empire)
Maldoror
Fantomas
When

A couple of sites to chek out:
jesterrecords.com
relapse.com (Relapse have the Release label for all expermental groups)
digitalhardcore.com (i think it's that. digital hardcore records)

union9 said:
Moonraker (Patton, Buckethead, Mix Master Mike)
)

:err:

...moonraker doing only two concerts...and they are:

patton-agata(from melt banana)-dj eddie def

patton-buckethead-dj flare

there are no studio takes...

then i suggest:

-diamanda galas
-coil
-sainkho namtchilak(old improvisations)
-otomo yoshihide
-haino keiji
-harry partch
-buckethead(on his more impro side)
-art ensemble of chicago(before 1980)
-john coltrane(from 1965 to 1967)
-sun ra
-whitehouse
-magma
-magical power mako(hard to find)
-tenko
-ikue mori

and many others...

i am really into experimental music...

:D

King Crimson, especially later period (last 8 years or so). The 4-disc boxset The ProjeKcts is almost entirely improvised, excellent stuff.

Radiohead - Kid A is a MUST.

Ulver - Themes From William Blake and after is all really experimental.

Nuclear Rabbit, their early stuff is pretty weird, I think their later stuff is more "normal."

Anything Mike Patton is part of (Tomahawk, Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, etc.)

Good luck, this kind of music is fun.
smile.gif

Cool, someone besides me likes Lark's Tongues in Aspic the best. :cool:

I think the newer stuff is more experimental though. More ambient textures, as with Robert Fripp's soundscapes.

not mentioned yet:

Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects - Sol Niger Within
Gorguts - Obscura
Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
Allan Holdsworth - Flattire and The 16 Men of Tain, especially.
Disembowelment
Sigh
Solefald

Someone mentioned Merzbow... I downloaded a "song" once and it was unbearable... no instruments, no melody, no groove... just incoherent and unpleasant noise. I doubt that someone in his right mind can enjoy that, but yes...they are experimental...

Thanks a bunch folks, now the trouble will be to see if I can find mp3's of these bands to test em out heh...

I happen to like Merzbow... good source of inspiration for me when I'm creating artwork... they're great for driving unwanted people out of your house too :D

Metal-wise try Neurosis- get their new dvd- they use images etc with their music.

No one has suggested Dodheimsgard- pretty good and interesting. Also Maudlin of the well

I'd say Isis makes interesting and incredibly heavy hardcoresque sound scapes.

Actually ANd Oceans did one interesting Electronica album- I think Symmetry of I- its a two cd affair- its ok nothing mindblowing or anything.

early Aphex twin is good, Coil is excellent, The Future SOund of London is my fave electronica band, the great D Mullholland suggested a interesting band called Nurse with a Wound.

Dodheimsgard is really good. I love Satanic Art EP the best, but 666 international is even more expreimental. Cool stuff indeed!

Neurosis is one of my favorite bands of all time...

...as for the not yet mentioned:

Bogus Blimp (think cartoons, war, avante and mildly abrasive electronics mixed with the music they would play to accompany silent films)

Carnival in Coal ( umm in their own words...."
Imagine what would happen if Frank Zappa, Faith No More and Mr Bungle played or had played extreme metal: black and death metal blended with disco grooves and the most sensual funk...
Hidden in a secret place in Europe, walking against trends and fashions, two men share a single dream since 1995: mixing the absolute brutality of an "avant-garde" deathgrind with the hottest grooves of the black music from the 70's and 80's. These two visionary guys are Axel Wursthorn and Arno Strobl.
The first one is a multi-skilled instrumentalist. He masters almost every musical instrument of the universe: guitar, bass-guitar, keyboards, and also harp, tuba and buzuki.
The second one is an incredibly fickle singer. His scarce friends call him "the vocal swiss army-knife".
They gather under the name of CARNIVAL IN COAL. ")

Autechre

Single Unit

Upland

I can most certainly second SOL NIGER WITHIN. Truly amazing CD, totally unique to its genre. Just hit random and have a new experience every time.

dimensionidol said:
:err:

...moonraker doing only two concerts...and they are:

patton-agata(from melt banana)-dj eddie def

patton-buckethead-dj flare

there are no studio takes...

I was led to believe from apparant reliable sources that Mix Master Mike was involved. But yes, if you look, you might be able to still download these live sets from Kazza or something familiar.