Experimenting with mic'ing multiple speakers on the same cab

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com

There are two good speakers on my 1960DM; one is honky but fizzy, the other is scooped but nice and airy. I thought I'd mic them both at the same time for each guitar part, this is the result!

Thoughts?

EDIT: EQ'd it a bit. Cut out the nasties and boosted for some brightness!

Last edited by a moderator:
I dig this tone a lot, my only complaints would be from the playing I think. The muted notes sound alternate picked? Definitely downpick the shit out of whatever you can in this entire thing if possible!

Hell fucking no could I downpick that fucking riff man :lol: There's a note on every kick, there's no way I could downpick that fast! Maybe we're thinking of a different part? The first riff that comes in, and the last one that plays out? Those parts? (different riffs but same speed/feel)

Its a 6534+, one side unboosted, one side with maxon od808.

I mean the dead notes, like those that would appear as X's on a tab sheet. I basically just feel the whole thing could be dug into harder and it would sound better/more alive/punchier.

Ah! That makes more sense. But that IS all downpicked, I just need to dig in harder I guess. I'm re-recording this track another half step down soon anyway (I don't feel its got enough oomph in D standard) so ill make sure to hammer the shit out of it on that part.

Cool thanks man, I really like tones that sound like they're "right in your ear", direct and defined.

Again, nothing impressive in the chain, just patient engineering I guess! This cab is a really picky bastard with position. On the cap is just impossibly harsh, hissy, sibilent and somehow bulbous/honky at the same time. So your best approach is to pick a fairly darker mic position (edge of the cap in this instance, and more on the cone than the cap) but to choose brighter amp settings to bring back some of the brightness you've lost (presence is on 8.5 on this clip and I STILL had to bump a high shelf when processing).

As for the chain; guitar was my Ibanez XPT700 with EMG 81/85, tracked into a Little Labs Redeye, into my Focsurite Saffire Pro40. DI out the Pro40, into Maxon Od808, then the amp. Pre's were just the ones on the Pro40.

It does sound a little this overall, but i also do think it fits the music. something about that kick... i dig it. the guitars sound exemplary, the only thing i would change, like Jeff mentioned, are those "dead notes". I feel like it could be a little tighter. That could just be my own taste, but i like those aggressive, choppy/staccato-like, tight dead notes.

Also, on second listen, i hear some harmonics poking through that sound like they shouldn't be there. If you do not find this an issue, ignore this, but I find this is one of the biggest issues with guitar players, myself included in the past. try picking some dead notes for a couple of minutes, lots of people when they use their fretting hand to mute the string, they end up placing their hand over a fret where a harmonic can be played, (which is nearly every fret, some frets' notes are just more pronounced than others) so when they play a breakdown, everytime there is a mute or rest, you hear harmonics that muddy up the sound and take away from tightness. the best way to fix this is by spreading your fingers apart (say 4 frets apart) that way, when you mute the string(s), too much of the string is muted on either side of where the harmonic would come through, thus making the riff much tighter and tolerable. BUT, like i said, if you do not find yourself with this issue, then forget what i said. (though it is a good thing to keep in mind when you are tracking with shitty guitar players :lol:)

Thanks man, to be honest I wanted that part to be a bit 'I don't give a fuck' sounding, if that makes sense? :lol: And that's not an excuse for sloppy playing, that wouldn't be difficult to get tight at all, but when I tracked it and listened back I kinda liked how it sounded like two different guitarists jamming out. But like I said this isn't a final take anyway, I wanna re-track it another half step down, so I'll try and get it tighter next time around and see how it sounds.

Also, since you mentioned the kick - That's something I'm going for with this; one-shot sample, wet as hell, no dynamics, just pounding and clicky. I might add another one-shot that's got more low mid 'thump' to fill the void and see how that sounds, but I deliberately want a really simplistic old school kick sound with this, like Pantera/Decapitated.