Extended family and other cultures.

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
So what's the deal? In America anyone living at home (AS IN WITH YOUR PARENTS) past the age of 18 is labelled a loser or a freeloader, but I know of other places in the world that encourage the family to stay together in the same household for a lifetime. Is this changing in today's world, perhaps due to Westernization or just the social evolution of individuality, or do places like China still practice this?

Thoughts?

i've just moved out and it was such a relief getting a place of my own after twenty years in a small room in the midst of a too small house.

the thing with staying with your parents is mostly economical i would think, both in richer and poorer countries but for different reasons obviously. it would be pretty horrible having to live in the same house for the rest of your life, helping with the household and working to support older relatives etc like the poorer countries in asia and africa.

in west i think most people feel an urge to start a life of their own independent of parents and move as soon as they can, the exception beeing my uncle who's lived in the same room in my grandma's house for some 44 years now :D

I moved away from the 'rents at 22 and feel as if I wore out my welcome by a few years, even though most of my friends are now 25 (like myself) and still live at home.

Funny that I started this topic because I'm considering moving back home to save up enough cash to get the fuck out of California (see the genocide thread for a further and very much draconian reason). :dopey:

NicodemiX said:
I live with my parents and I'm 18.

Fuck you, I rule.
Same here. You want me to move out, buy me a flat. I can't afford it, and I don't see why I should make stuff harder on myself when I can have mummy do all my shit for me :loco:

NicodemiX said:
I live with my parents and I'm 18.

Fuck you, I rule.
What he said.

Also, I've been (and still am) very close to moving to live by myself now, but that would mean I'd have to take loans to study some crap I don't care about anyway and I do not want that... Ah, the troubles of my life. I'llprobablyjust wait and when everything goes to hell I'm still at home eating mom's home-cooked meals instead of last week's bacon for the third time.

Hah well this sounds like my life. I moved back home last year. I quit law school and had racked up some serious debt. But the biggest reason I moved back is that I decided to go to Grad school. I got a scholarship, but I was flat out broke and in debt and I had no need to go out and get a crappy real job to satisfy some fantasy notion of being independent. Anyway it took a month or two to get used to being around the parents again, but I actually am preferring it to living alone these days. Plus since I have been saving so much money, I was able to spend the entire summer in Greece- something I never would have been able to do if I had to pay rent and cable etc.

So what's the deal? In America anyone living at home (AS IN WITH YOUR PARENTS) past the age of 18 is labelled a loser or a freeloader, but I know of other places in the world that encourage the family to stay together in the same household for a lifetime. Is this changing in today's world, perhaps due to Westernization or just the social evolution of individuality, or do places like China still practice this?

Thoughts?
Sounds like you are trying to put a positive spin on moving back in with your parents. :loco:

Personally, living on my own has thought me a lot of responsibility. If in financial trouble, moving back in with my folks would mean some type of defeat for me. I would rather figure out a way to make more money and fend for myself to get out of trouble than bum off my parents.

I honestly hate the type of mentality where you put so much mental energy and effort into figuring out how to "save" money ... rather than using the same amount of time / energy / mental effort to figure out how to "make more" money and fend for yourself.

I live alone and have my own business, which sometimes kills me as far as juggling things financially, but the fear of not being able to pay rent / bills ... etc. and being homeless makes me come up with some ingenious ideas to make money (nothing illegal :) )

I love my parents, but they are happy for me ... and I have a feeling, as much as they would love me to move back in (as all parents do) ... they would not be very proud if I laid down and accept defeat.

I'm going to be moving out again soon to go back to college, but there was communication issues so I get to freeload (while working and making money that I can use to buy CDs) for yet another year.

CSOCRE

lurch70 said:
Sounds like you are trying to put a positive spin on moving back in with your parents. :loco:
Yeah pretty much. :loco:

Ironically enough, both my parents and myself are seriously considering moving to Cottonwood, Arizona, so if they leave before I do I'll just use that as an excuse and tag along for awhile until I get resettled.

lets see, I lived with the folks until I left for college (which is the norm in the US). During some summers I'd live at home and get a job to save up some money to spend while at college.

After college, I moved home for about 8-9 months (I was 22 I think) while I searched for a job and saved up enough money to get an apartment with my cousin. haven't lived with the folks since then.

there's nothing wrong with living with the folks if you're trying to get on your feet financially, but simply living there because you're either too lazy to get a job or too scared of having to cook your own meals and do your own laundry is ludicrous. of course, I'm sure other countries have different standards when it comes to this.

and contrary to popular belief, there is nothing wrong wth having your parents help pay for college.

Its really up to you, who cares what others think. I mean you have decide on your own, other peoples morality, independence etc, shouldnt affect your decision. And if as Dreamlord says, my parents would have paid for my college, I wouldnt have been in such a situation. It does suck with women, its a bit embarrasing to say I am living with my parents. I usually have to launch into a explanation of how broke I am, and how i wanted to spend a summer in Greece, and how i wanted to go back to grad school and didnt want to go out into the work force find a real job ( which is increasingly difficult) so i could buy my own house etc. But Ive got 9 more months here, depending on when I get a job offer.

I turned 18, I went to university for 4 years, I went back home to my parents and found a job. Two years later I had saved up enough to buy a house. The end.

The concept of paying 'rent' just seems to be a waste to me since you don't get anything back. I'm sure there are several reasons why rent is more convenient than a mortgage, but sooner or later, I assume everyone would rather own property as opposed to rent it.

Bear in mind, university education in the UK is government subsidised. They pay for ALL tuition fees (regardless of which uni), so you just have to sort out your own living expenses -- and even then, college campus accomodation is fucking minimal. If you want to go into higher education and start living at college campus at age 18, there is really no excuse not to if you're in the UK.

Americans have it the hardest: college fees, loans / debts, private medicare, and eventually a mortgage. By the age of 25, it wouldn't surprise me if the average American is in debt for perhaps $500k (assuming they've bought a house by then).

JayKeeley said:
Americans have it the hardest: college fees, loans / debts, private medicare, and eventually a mortgage. By the age of 25, it wouldn't surprise me if the average American is in debt for perhaps $500k (assuming they've bought a house by then).
Exactly. And the rest of the world thinks we have it easy and are spoiled.

I'm 26 and including my house, cars, credit cards, loans etc, my fiance and I are probably in debt at around $200K.

living and spending>>>>>pseudo-living and saving

J. said:
Exactly. And the rest of the world thinks we have it easy and are spoiled.
I think for those who have seen both sides of the pond, they tend to be more surprised at where the US government spends its funds. For such a rich country, the 'people' really should get better payback for their taxes.

Here is a vicious circle: The average American can't afford to pack up and go travelling overseas just because as soon as they leave university, they're in huge debt and need to find a job asap to pay off the debt. They therefore have little frame of reference when comparing the US to other countries, and obviously can't rely on media outlets or newspapers because it is mostly US focused. The average American is then surprised that other countries offer a National Health System and free college education to ALL their citizens, even when both countries pay an average of 27% income tax per annum. Indeed, most Americans don't even know how bad they have it, but they do know they have a big army.

I'm 26 and including my house, cars, credit cards, loans etc, my fiance and I are probably in debt at around $200K.
That's not so bad to be honest because you've included your mortgage in that sum. If you sell your house, you'll probably make a profit, so you can write off that debt.

Ivy league graduates are typically in debt for around $200K at the age of 21. This is all attributed to college fees and living expenses only.

I moved out when I was 22 after 1 year military service and 3 years at the university. I lived at home then to save money.

JayKeeley said:
I'm about $7k in debt nearly 3 years after graduating college (Moms footed the tuition and books, I handled most living expenses once I moved away my extended senior year). If you count my car I'm probably $34k in debt, and I rent a damn apartment (buy a house next year hopefully *fingers crossed*).
For such a rich country, the 'people' really should get better payback for their taxes.
A-MOTHERFUCKING-MEN. People from the Republican camp bitch about social programs because they have to pay an additional 2% in taxes off their $300k / year salary, BIG FUCKING DEAL. The arts suffer in this country and it's fucking pathetic. Heh, ironic enough we're turning into the Soviet Union, eliminating everything that isn't necessary to basic survival. Music programs in primary education? I've watched them tank over the short years of my own life.
Indeed, most Americans don't even know how bad they have it, but they do know they have a big army.
Sigged. :tickled: