Extended family and other cultures.

It's a pity schooling is so expensive in Canada when it comes to University, about $5000-$7000 a year, for tuition alone :ill: ....and the program I'm gonna take is in Montreal(jazz guitar), unless I find something better. I'm actually pissed I have to move out, I get everything for like free here (except for CDs and stuff). But otherwise there is NOTHING wrong with living with your parents, until you're in your late 20's.

In some cultures it is acceptable Dreamlord to stay into the late 20's. I hope to be gone when I graduate- and Ill turn 26 right around when I graduate. Embarrasing, yes, but ive only been back for a year, and I was gone from 18 to 24.

The more I think about this, the more I reminded that the two things that bring me the most problems with the opposite sex are: my present living situation, and my love of heavy metal and other forms of atonal dissonance laden music. I learned a while ago never to mention my musical preferences. Yet this year, I happened to be listening to Dissection in my car, I picked a classmate to go up to school, he hit my cd player, and being a liberal bastard felt the need to brand me a Nazi Satanist, after I descibed to him in a joking manner, the philosophy behind the band. You have no idea how much explaining one has to do to these ultra- liberals (im a moderate democrat here) to convince them you are not a Nazi satanist.

heh, my fiance was exposed to death metal on our first date. She hated it. I also forced an old lady into the shoulder for cutting me off earlier. But I'm such a pimp, I had the fiance worshipping my machismo by the end of the night. :D

Note to self: delete this post before the woman sees it

speed said:
In some cultures it is acceptable Dreamlord to stay into the late 20's.
Yeah, I know. I'm sure Canada isn't too different from the US in that regard. But late 20's just seems kinda...late to me. I will officially be in my late 20's in December, and I can't even fathom living with the folks. Hell man, I hope to have a kid before reaching 30, which makes it even more difficult to comprehend.

@speed: Fuck people like that, that's the main reason I don't bother explaining or even talking about my music. Instead I just pollute my office with Goatsblood blasting far too loud therefore making people scared to make eye contact. :heh:
J. said:
heh, my fiance was exposed to death metal on our first date. She hated it. I also forced an old lady into the shoulder for cutting me off earlier. But I'm such a pimp, I had the fiance worshipping my machismo by the end of the night. :D
:lol: I hope you ran her off the road while growling along to something crazy too.

JayKeeley said:
Bear in mind, university education in the UK is government subsidised. They pay for ALL tuition fees (regardless of which uni), so you just have to sort out your own living expenses -- and even then, college campus accomodation is fucking minimal. If you want to go into higher education and start living at college campus at age 18, there is really no excuse not to if you're in the UK.
Not any more. They introduced top-up fees recently, MASSIVE fuss about it in the newspapers and a very big put-off for me going Uni (I changed my mind last week) for a while. I'm not sure exactly how it works or what your circumstances have to be, or even if I'll have to pay 'em, cos like I say I only started considering Uni last week.

Whatever happens, I'll stay at home.

Ayeka said:
Not any more. They introduced top-up fees recently, MASSIVE fuss about it in the newspapers and a very big put-off for me going Uni (I changed my mind last week) for a while. I'm not sure exactly how it works or what your circumstances have to be, or even if I'll have to pay 'em, cos like I say I only started considering Uni last week.

Whatever happens, I'll stay at home.
I heard about that but from what I understand, aren't you talking about a couple of grand total? Either way, I don't think it will be anywhere near the cost of a US higher education. Put it this way, MIT costs $40K per year. That's more than most people earn in full time jobs. Of course there are cheaper options, but you inevitably get what you pay for.

I'd be curious to see how much someone like Russell is paying for Imperial, which is MIT's equivalent.

And yes NAD, most of them understand my need for blasphemy by now, yet still I am regarded as a bit nuts and extreme. I went out with a 18 year old last year, my god I have never heard the end of that with these liberal moralists. Jesus, I suppose I must only date people my age and listen to happy socially progressive music. Sorry people, I am just venting my frustrations. And of course these things are not taken all to seriously by everyone, asI am rarely serious myself, however, this is what I deal with.

Mine was close to $1k per quarter for books and tuition, it doesn't get any cheaper than that for a 4 year university (at least in Califuckia). When I was applying in 1996 most private universities were $20k a semester just for tuition, and the UC schools were around $1500 / quarter. Holy shit, I just checked my alma mater, their fees have almost doubled since I left there. That's crap!

Oh yeah, and out-of-state students are absolutely FUCKED when it comes to higher education, until you establish residence plan on paying TRIPLE what state residents do.

Two semesters or three quarters per full year (not counting summer school), depending on the system. I never even considered a private university, paying 20 times more than where I went for the same piece of paper was bullshit. Some say you get a better education the more you pay, I say no. Universities are ranked by the quality / impact of research the faculty presents to their respective fields. A good researcher is not necessarily a good teacher.

JayKeeley said:
I heard about that but from what I understand, aren't you talking about a couple of grand total? Either way, I don't think it will be anywhere near the cost of a US higher education. Put it this way, MIT costs $40K per year. That's more than most people earn in full time jobs. Of course there are cheaper options, but you inevitably get what you pay for.

I'd be curious to see how much someone like Russell is paying for Imperial, which is MIT's equivalent.
I'm really not sure how much you pay exactly, it didn't matter to me at the time...it's either just a few grand or five figures, I really can't remember.

Feedback from someone like Russell would actually be seriously handy right now!

JayKeeley said:

I'm lucky enough to be pre-top up fees, so I only pay £1,125 a year :) When the top up fees are introduced after next year, they'll initially be capped at £3000 a year for a couple of years, then if uni's get their way could rise quite a bit. I know Imperial wants to be charging at least £15,000 a year. At the moment foreign (full-fee paying) students can pay anything up to £30,000 a year as it is, depending on year and course... But we'll wait and see, nobody other than the top brass at most universities want to-up fees to go ahead, even most senior lecturers realise what a fucking stupid idea it is, so there are a lot of people lobbying MP's, and there's always the slim possibility that they won't get the go ahead :)

Ayeka said:
I'm really not sure how much you pay exactly, it didn't matter to me at the time...it's either just a few grand or five figures, I really can't remember.

Feedback from someone like Russell would actually be seriously handy right now!

If I can be any help feel free to mail me. If I can't answer your questions, our admissions tutor is a great guy, and I'm sure I could get answers for you from him :)

I'm still living with my parents and I'm 20. For me, it's a cultural issue as we're from Hong Kong (well, my folks are) and it's highly expected for females to live at home until they get married and marriage is a long way off for moi. :)

Also, it's much more logical for me to live at home: I make enough money, but not a lot and it's better for me to spend some of it on stuff I like, have savings, and enjoy myself. Also, rent's expensive here and much of the city is not safe (especially for a single female). So the way I see it, it's better to spend time in safe suburbia with the folks, saving up cash for stuff I need, eating wine roasted food and drinking beer, instead of scraping up money to live in unsafe slum housing with/without an intolerable roomate and eating poorly while watching my back...

Just my two cents.

Russell said:
If I can be any help feel free to mail me. If I can't answer your questions, our admissions tutor is a great guy, and I'm sure I could get answers for you from him :)
Much appreciated. I need to collect my thoughts before I call the Uni, so maybe I will have to shout your way ^_^

Russell said:
I know Imperial wants to be charging at least £15,000 a year.
Jesus. More American influence running rampant no doubt...almost sounds like something Thatcher would have done, right alongside her f'ing poll tax.

Tell me which party is against the idea of having to pay for an education and they'll get my vote.