Extreme Interest in Swano

karpsmom

May 25, 2005
New Jersey, USA
I'm extremely new to all things Dan Swano. I first discovered him when I bought the album "Theli" by Therion and heard his vocals on that album. I researched him and found the endless supply of music he's recorded and now I'm lost and confused and overloaded because I don't know where to start. The only other stuff I've listened to by/featuring him other than "Theli" is "Death's Design" by Diabolical Masquerade and "Purgatory Afterglow" by Edge Of Sanity. Could anybody help me out and maybe make a list of the best album by each band he's been in/featured in? Thanks!

Best things to get:

Dan Swanö - Moontower
Nightingale - entire discography
Edge of Sanity - Crimsons I and II
Odyssey - Odyssey EP

Then get everything else. I haven't actually heard that Therion, does Dan have a big role in that?

madu said:
Best things to get:

Dan Swanö - Moontower
Nightingale - entire discography
Edge of Sanity - Crimsons I and II
Odyssey - Odyssey EP

Then get everything else. I haven't actually heard that Therion, does Dan have a big role in that?

He sings a few lines on 2 or 3 songs, but they rule and whole Theli album is really really good if you ask me. My fav Therion album.

karpsmom said:
I'm extremely new to all things Dan Swano. I first discovered him when I bought the album "Theli" by Therion and heard his vocals on that album. I researched him and found the endless supply of music he's recorded and now I'm lost and confused and overloaded because I don't know where to start. The only other stuff I've listened to by/featuring him other than "Theli" is "Death's Design" by Diabolical Masquerade and "Purgatory Afterglow" by Edge Of Sanity. Could anybody help me out and maybe make a list of the best album by each band he's been in/featured in? Thanks!

I'm not sure what your tastes in music are, but the first Swano CDs you need to buy are:
Dan Swano: Moontower
Nightingale: I

After that my favorites of his other band/projects are:
Edge of Sanity: The Spectral Sorrows (you already named by favorite Purgatory Afterglow)
Infestdead: Jesusatan
Bloodbath: Nightmares Made Flesh
Diabolical Masquerade: Nightwork
Godsend: debut
Pan-Thy-Monium:III Khaooohs & Kon-Fus-Ion
Karaboudjan: Sbrodj
Katatonia: Tonight's Decision
Odyssey: S/T

I like Unicorn a lot, I was glad when I saw The Laser's Edge had both albums in stock, I picked them up right away.

wow thanks everyone! You're all huge helps!

thespectralsorrows: I'm into alot of music it's hard to say, but my favorite bands are Arcturus, Ulver, Solefald, Age Of Silence, Nomeansno, Dead Kennedys, Therion, Blind Guardian, Sturmgeist, Gorgoroth, AFI, Sticks & Stones, World/Inferno Friendship Society, Diabolical Masquerade, Due Tomorrow, The Mars Volta.

Some albums I think you should get:

Edge of Sanity -
Crimson (in case of wanting more: Purgatory Afterglow, Crimson II, The Unorthodox, and well, I got all of 'em)

Dan Swanö -
Moontower

Nightingale -
Dunno where to start, maybe with the latest realease "Nightfall Overture"
The 5 Nightingale studio albums are quite different to each other

Bloodbath -
Dan has written quallity deathmetal stuff for all their releases

Diabolical Masquerade -
Death's design (haven't heard the other albums though, and I think you already got that one)

Then there is more, the name Swanö is to be considered another word for quallity I'd say, allthough some of his stuff really has to grow on you (or at least had to grow on me)

Yea. Dan Swano reminds me of Kris "Garm" Rygg (Ulver, Arcturus), in the sense that he started in a form of extreme metal (Death for Dan, Black for Kris) and then sort of abandoned singing that style/playing after a while (just like Dan won't do his growls anymore, Garm has abandoned his shrieking). And they both guest star on a billion releases (Dan with Diabolical Masquerade, Therion, his huge quantity of bands, and I'm sure there are other things, and Garm has been all over the place, starting in Ulver and Arcturus as a main member, then being in Borknagar, and guesting on limitless other bands' releases, some being, Gehenna, The Gathering, Fleurtey, Hagalez Runedance, Magenta, Star Of Ash, Zyklon, and many many more). And also, as you said with Dan, both have become synonomous with the word "quality". : )