Extrenal HDD and laptop

carvedones

May 16, 2007
Ok i just got a laptop for recording. What i want to know is... Do you setup the external hdd with the operating system and programs and boot from that or doy you just use it to store you audio ect on and just run that from it?

Also should it be firewire or usb?

USB can be used in a pinch, but Firewire is the best.

I think it was Brett, but someone on here tested a USB drive recording 10 tracks of continuous audio at 48khz for an hour to a USB drive, and it was fine.

USB can be used in a pinch, but Firewire is the best.

I think it was Brett, but someone on here tested a USB drive recording 10 tracks of continuous audio at 48khz for an hour to a USB drive, and it was fine.

That's actually quite impressive. Didn't think it was possible.

If you have an Express card port, and don't mind a little extra expense, it's worth running eSATA for performance reasons. Firewire 800 is also a good option (though more than 3 times slower than eSATA). Firewire 400 is a bit sketchy for intense usage, and don't even think about USB; there's no DMA support, so transferring from the hard disk to RAM has to be done by the CPU (at the expense of many CPU cycles).

On the downside, eSATA does not yet provide power (you'll need a power supply for the external hard drive) and since most laptops do not have eSATA connections it'll require an ExpressCard port. The ExpressCards themselves are pretty cheap; you should be able to get one for under $40.