Calling All Laptop Warriors

Line666

Fendurr
Sep 2, 2006
What are you using these days for the portable prosumer firewire debacle?

Given that literally no audio companies have rolled out the next stage of prosumer gear at the moment and we're still stuck with the veritable shitfactory that is the firewire standard can anyone list working laptop setups that are actually capable of operating at a relatively decent standard with the M-audio/Focusrite/RME stuff - I'm talking not having to turn your wifi off, do handstands and attempt to turn water into wine before that shit actually works at low latency and stable (heaven forbid its not like 2 channel USB shit hasn't been doing that for years)

Now before everyone starts flinging their Macbook Pros at me (this would be truly tragic, please do) I'm asking for Windows laptops only (shoot me) because mine is literally falling to bits (the vent has fallen off, theres no cd casing, the headphone port is broken and the dead battery keeps falling out).

With all that said, laptop warriorz plz lst your setupz for dah br00tz///

I frequently work out of a studio (using it for recording only), where their main interface is Project Mix I/O (sucks a bit I know, especially when you see what outboard preamps they have...) . I use my old laptop (late MSI 2009 dual core, so old) for tracking, and all is going pretty well - knock on wood.
I do get system messages like 'no hardware in use' from time to time and then I have to restart, but with M-Audio that's a given tho. Use it mostly to rec 2-12 channels at the same time.

Öwen;10474514 said:
I'm asking for Windows laptops only (shoot me) because mine is literally falling to bits

so does that mean you're currently using a Mac and want to switch?

people say Lenovos are great and don't have problems with audio work, they do pretty much go up there with the Macs in price, though without the certain Apple-design benefits and looks, but hey who gives a fuck about those.

Look for a Texas Instruments firewire chipset in laptops you buy, and search for problems using a specific model you're interested in. there was once a list of all the PC laptops that have no problems with audio interfaces, you might want to look for that list.

Yeah I have HP 2.2Gghz dual core thing with a TI chip but it's literally making me want to jump off a cliff with larger sessions - I can track but I can't mix without literally bouncing everything so I'm mainly wondering if anyone has any i5-i7, a6-a8 style laptops so they can give me a recommendation for a bit more horsepower out of what must be a dying rig at this point: I honestly can't wait to replace my Profire with something that has both USB3 and ADAT when audio companies get their arses in gear and make it but until then it's scavenging for a compatible laptop instead.

Sopulurn, nah it's not a Mac but I'm not paying twice what I paid for my current windows PC two years ago for a Mac with the same spec as I have now. I have a low overhead and that means upgrading efficiently - I would just buy a Mac and be done with it if I had the cash (not really out of want as much as necessity).

Most manufacturers don't list the chipsets in their Laptops in the technical briefs, which is why I'm asking because I'm interested in specific models that people have found to work as often firewire is just listed as 1394 and no more - which is useless. The avid certified list of working laptops is also three years old now and basically only shows american models of laptops that I can't get here.

I use a Sony Vaio for about 6 years now, had line 6, m-audio and focusrite interfaces, no problems at all. Never had to change any hardware or to take it to a tech. They are a bit pricey but well worth it imo

I got a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520 with a Rain Firewire Expresscard here. Works great aside from when you have WiFi on or a wired connection, dropouts/playback glitches galore. I really don't know a PC laptop that can handle an internet connection plus firewire aside from macbooks, would very much be interested in it if you found one though. But for mobile tracking (which is just about all I would need to do with my laptop) I don't really need it and will just move the tracks to my desktop PC for mixing with a wired connection so I can constantly multitask while working on a mix.

My current (HP Compaq NW8440, dual core 2.2ghz, 2 gig Ram) can do tracking with Wifi/internet enabled with my Profire. It's not tracking I have a problem with really (although it'd be great if bands didn't have to make fun of the amount of noise it makes and how many parts are broken off it when they roll in with their macbooks and half sleeves (where the fuck do they get the money - really???)) I was just wondering if there was any new generation stuff that could do the same adequately plus an all round performance boost for mixing. I may just give up though and buy a desktop again because for the 400-500 mark I could actually buy something with enough kick to last 3 or 4 years and not worry about IRQ conflicts or Ricoh Chipsets.

I have a Sony Vaio e-series laptop, almost 2 years old. It has an i5 CPU and i upgraded the RAM from 4GB to 8GB (Windows is 64Bit version). It is alot faster than my QuadCore 2GB RAM desktop pc (32Bit windows) which is getting pretty old now. I don't use firewire audio interface, only a USB m-audio device which can track upto 8 instruments at once. Sounds like the dual-core and 2GB ram is letting you down mate (sounds ancient)

EDIT: also if you're using 32bit, the CPU can only process half of the amount of bits as a 64bit system. Which means more problems when mixing lots of content

Ugh... I have a Dell STudio XPS 17" i7 895 (or something) 8GB Ram and while I was able to finally get it to work it was a ROYAL PITA!!!! And it cost me a shitload.

The monitor is nice since it does 1920x1080. It has an express slot so I got a TI Firewire card. Well that part still goes through a shared POS Firewire/express card chipset. So the performance still sucks. I also have to carry an eSATA drive as my audio drive.

Then it overheats under load and screams like a jet engine, so I have to carry a cooler. Also I have to turn off all the wirless, networking, video card, and all the speed stepping making it run at half the speed. No number pad either, so I have to carry a number pad or external keyboard.

It works fine for mobile tracking very few effects. Low latency, no way, especially with guitars and such. It is usable, but my desktop is a HUGE improvement. Plus I have to carry around sooo much shit, might as well carry a desktop.

I also have a Lenovo Y420p, 14" i7 8GB Ram. No Firewire or express slot. Cubase won't run since there is a graphics card driver issue and since it does the graphics card stepping thing, AMD/ATI doesn't support it directly. Other than that, it is pretty awesome. I use it everyday for work, VM's, and Reaper for quick ideas or editing field recordings. Also do video editing, all sorts of stuff, it is pretty quiet and just chugs along. But no firewire and I haven't really put it through its paces with a USB interface, I mainly do editing on it, so the onboard soundcard is fine.

Someday I may go the laptop route again. When I do, I am going to pony up the extra cash for like an ADK Pro Audio laptop or something from like Sweetwater. Essentially a laptop they have spec'd and tested to work with a DAW and interfaces available. I think it is totally worth the money.

Laptops have a premium anyway, but shit man, the amount of research going into one (all the reviews are for old ones). Then doing all the work to get it running and trying to get around problems. And you may just end up dead in the water anyway with a huuge investment. Yeah... never again.

You need this Owen!

c4_sneap.jpg