WTF is wrong with laptop industry?

Well my response to this is - who cares? Fuck USB interfaces :lol: (as long as the Presonus Firebox or any other firewire interface is around for such a good price!) Andv for compatibility/stability, XP Professional >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any version of Vista IMO (dunno about W7)

Well true, but I think you can expect problems if the laptop can't handle a fucking USB interface :puke:

Yeah, I also installed XP on it, but didn't really make things smoothier. I use Bootcamp on this thing every now and then when there's something I need to do on Windows, so I'm not completely against it. I just think a bit cheaper laptops have proven themselves to work best for browsing the internet (or watch movies, fuck the 13" screen on my MacBook and thank god for the 24" screen next to it! :D )

Yeah dudes, fuck that USB, that's for consumers, and we aren't , right?

Look, what I have found:

http://ts.fujitsu.com/products/mobile/notebooks/esprimo_mobile_v.html

It has like 4 Gb of Ram, 320 Gb HD, Double-core Pentium ( T4200, 2Ghz ) Firewire port, Express Card slot (good option to have in case firewire will suck) and all this beauty just for $530 here in local shops.
They claim it's made in Germany. Not in position to believe, but... Even MacBooks are maid in China)))

What do you think?

In what world is a macbook even mentionable in this guys budget? Not dissing them, but lets be realistic :lol:

Joe

Thanks,

I'm from Ireland :)

Wow) A bit surprised to know guys from Ireland are willing to learn Ukrainian. Maybe you're running international business or have friends over here)

As for MacBook. I am a natural born PC user, however that is just due to the fact I have never used Mac)) You can be confident there aren't too much Mac's in our country. NickCrow would gladly present you Mac versions of his plugins if he had a Mac, but... Due to the customs taxes and fucking resellers, they are ridiculously expensive over here, and I believe there is the same situation in Russia.

Wow) A bit surprised to know guys from Ireland are willing to learn Ukrainian. Maybe you're running international business or have friends over here)

Nope, i certainly don't run a business :)

I was fascinated with the Chernobyl incident since i was young, and always thought it was a cool language.

when i played the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. , all of the background dialogue is in Ukrainian and Russian, so i decided to learn it.

Also, my girlfriend and I plan to visit the Chernobyl site some time in the next few years, and i don't want to be like the usual dumb tourists who don't make an effort :)

Nope, i certainly don't run a business :)

I was fascinated with the Chernobyl incident since i was young, and always thought it was a cool language.

when i played the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. , all of the background dialogue is in Ukrainian and Russian, so i decided to learn it.

Also, my girlfriend and I plan to visit the Chernobyl site some time in the next few years, and i don't want to be like the usual dumb tourists who don't make an effort :)

Wow, that is a bad idea, man. The guides are noobs, that know nothing about radiation. The thing is that after visiting Chernobyl, you may leave your balls as the gift for Ukrainian nation. That is sad of course. I was interested Chernobyl too, but after doing a research, realized, that it is WAY to dangerous. My granny died because of a cancer she had earned while operating in that fucking filthy Chernobyl. She was a doctor.

Better consider visiting Kyiv, I will be your free of charge guide. PM me if you wish to visit us))

Firewire audio interfaces require a decent firewire chipset like Texas Instruments to function properly, but they're difficult to find in consumer laptops. A good solution that worked for me was to get a firewire Expresscard with a decent chipset. Presonus made a list (of two cards that worked with their products) here: www.presonus.com/media/pdf/hardware_compatibility.pdf

My Asus laptop has worked flawlessly for 2 and a half years. I've updated the hard drive on it twice and increased the RAM once. I've been using 5400rpm drives mostly and haven't had any problems recording (probably since I don't record entire bands at once). If you can't find a firewire interface you like, you should consider trying some USB 2.0 interfaces. Some are very useful for traveling purposes because they are self-powered.

Off topic, but I can't resist.... : ) I've been in Chernobyl / Pripyat twice, there's no dangerous radiation there (that was checked many times). However STALKER fans I'm afraid are ruining this place (yes that's possible). Lots of modern garbage there and it's increasing. Ukraine and Kyiv however is a great place so I second that. It's worth to visit.

Wow, that is a bad idea, man. The guides are noobs, that know nothing about radiation. The thing is that after visiting Chernobyl, you may leave your balls as the gift for Ukrainian nation. That is sad of course. I was interested Chernobyl too, but after doing a research, realized, that it is WAY to dangerous. My granny died because of a cancer she had earned while operating in that fucking filthy Chernobyl. She was a doctor.

Better consider visiting Kyiv, I will be your free of charge guide. PM me if you wish to visit us))

I'll certainly need to do some more research before going, and i want to see as much of the country as possible. are there any other locations that i should visit?

Off topic, but I can't resist.... : ) I've been in Chernobyl / Pripyat twice, there's no dangerous radiation there (that was checked many times). However STALKER fans I'm afraid are ruining this place (yes that's possible). Lots of modern garbage there and it's increasing. Ukraine and Kyiv however is a great place so I second that. It's worth to visit.

As for radiation, humanity don't even know enough about those elements that have been pulverized on our planet. As for an example: I had an old USSR made Geiger sensor, Stalker fans must know what is that. I have been walking in my Grandfather house from side to side. Once I have put it down on the old sofa chair it became fucking frenzy)) That is a dust that causes that thing.
I know lots of people that visited Chernobyl and Prypiat, they have got no 3rd arm or something, but I won't go there at least considering a fact that Kyiv is 140Km far from that place, and I swallow enough radiation daily.
Who knows, maybe I will be a 10K bpm tempo shredder Mutant)))

As for a laptop, I have bought one today, it is Fujitsu Siemens, got "Made in Germany " thing on it, maybe it is true.

My next concern is. It has got 4Gb Ram, Windows XP won't determine all of it. How can I make it see all stuff.

Another question. How would you divide your HDD (320GB) for recording purpose.

Cheers.

I'll make sure to leave no garbage behind. :)

I think most of all i want to visit the memorial to the Liquidators, and to see the Ukrainian countryside. This is the culmination of a lifelong fascination with the place, and i don't think anything is going to discourage me from going.

Yes, there is enough interesting over here.
Like I said, always welcome ))) I guarantee a flat&booze for everyone. ))