I SERIOUSLY NEED HELP!

Undefined

Indefinite Entity
Sep 27, 2006
Unsure and Inexact
Ok people with PC knowledge, I need your advice. I just bought a new pc, it's specs will be shown below. I spent $700 total on it, after taxes and warranty. I did this because it seemed like an awesome deal for this calibre of computer, I saw shittier PC's for more money in the store and the sale was ending soon and this was the last one they had left in the store that they would professionally set up (which costs $200 normally). I need to know was this a good deal, or should I return it and take the 15% hit (~100 bucks) and get the rest of my money back. I feel sick. The PC runs great, the Vista Aids have only done minimal annoyances (My PC Remote Wonder II won't work cuz there's no drivers for it on Vista and the Mozilla is being a bit annoying also)... I still feel sick about it though.

Computer I bought:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...665000FS10108778&catid=24137&logon=&langid=EN

Base Features
Processor Type AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core
Processor Speed 2.2GHz
RAM 3GB DDR2
Hard Drive Speed/Capacity 720GB 7200RPM
Optical Drives SuperMulti DVD Burner w/ LightScribe
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT
Pre-loaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium With SP1

Graphics
Dedicated Video Memory Yes
Shared Video Memory 1.5GB
TV Tuner No
Video Memory 256MB
Display
HDCP Compliant N/A
Native Screen Resolution N/A
Screen Size/Type N/A

Audio
Audio Output 8-Speaker surround configurable
Digital Input No
Digital Output No
Integrated Microphone No
Line Out Yes
Line-In input Yes
Microphone Input Yes
Sound Card High Definition Audio
Speaker Wattage n/a
Speakers No

Networking
Ethernet Port 10/100 Ethernet
Integrated Bluetooth No
Integrated WiFi No

Inputs/Outputs
Card Reader 15-In-1 Memory Card Reader
Component Output No
Composite Output No
DVI Output No
E-SATA Yes
FireWire (IEEE 1394) 1 Front, 1 Back
HDMI No
Keyboard HP Multimedia Keyboard
Modem 56K Modem
Mouse No
Remote No
S-Video Output Yes
USB 2.0 2 Front 4 Back
VGA Output Yes
Webcam No
Computing Features
Available AGP Slots n/a
Available Hard Drive Bays 1 Available
Available Memory Slots 4 Total (Occupied)
Available Optical Bays 1 Available
Available PCI Slots 2 PCI x1 slots
Available PCI-E Slots 1 PCI Express x16 Slot (Occupied)
Power Supply Not Listed
Processor Cache 2MB L2 + 2MB shared L3 Cache
Removable Storage Personal Media Drive Bay
System Bus 2000MHz System Bus

Software
English/French Software English Only
Loaded Software 1 Microsoft Works 9
Loaded Software 2 HP Photosmart Essential
Loaded Software 3 HP Total Care Advisor
Loaded Software 4

Product Features
French Kit Availability No
Tower Depth 35.28
Tower Height 10.69
Tower Width 27.61
Warranty Labour 90 Days
Warranty Parts 90 Day
Tower Weight 8.92

:lol: Looks like they jacked up the price 100 bucks, I got this for $499 + $150 for 2 year warranty.

tl;dr: Look at this PC and tell me if it was worth $700 KTHNX!

I wouldn't have bought it. OR maybe i would...but the thing is that AMD processors (ESPECIALLY THE QUAD CORES) Have had huge problems lately and it has 3 gb RAM instead of the ordinary 4. I dunno man....it's okay i guess.

Oh btw, never use the LightScribe, it's a complete waste of time :lol: My laptop has LightScribe. I was really excited to try it out, but the result was very disappointing

Does this guy know what he's talking about? No offense I just want to make sure! I feel really sick :lol:

Well considering i didn't bother to look the price was in DOLLARS i would have definetly bought it now when i saw it.. That's pretty damned cheap for it actually!

Oh, and i don't know what the hell im talking about :lol:

Oh btw, never use the LightScribe, it's a complete waste of time :lol: My laptop has LightScribe. I was really excited to try it out, but the result was very disappointing

Yeah I was excited and then I like, realized I need to buy these special discs that are expensive as fuck to use the lightscribe. GUESS WHAT A MARKER IS FINE TOO!

Well considering i didn't bother to look the price was in DOLLARS i would have definetly bought it now when i saw it.. That's pretty damned cheap for it actually!

Oh, and i don't know what the hell im talking about :lol:

Well then STFO!

Yeah I was excited and then I like, realized I need to buy these special discs that are expensive as fuck to use the lightscribe. GUESS WHAT A MARKER IS FINE TOO!

:lol: yea, but the worst part is that it takes about 20 minutes to burn an image on a CD (i burnt amon amarth's "versus the world") and it looks shit. It's just not worth it.

This looks like a good deal BUT I don't know if they used cheap components. RAM is not expensive at all, so you can upgrade to 4 GB. 3 GB should be enough though, even for Vista.

I would have bought it, too.

Yeah, it was just a great deal that made me get it. And I think it was cheaper because it was 'refurbished'. Plus I got the professional install which makes sure all the trial bullshit is removed and vista is tuned to run perfect. I still feel sick I want to know if I got a good computer that will be good in a few years still. I built a PC in 2005/2006 and it's still good today, just need a better processor because it lags with all the shit I have open.

That's fine. All depends what you want to use it for really... the only reason you would need something better is if you were a gaming graphics nut, or working with/producing audio.

And btw, don't use such a threadtitle again! I was shocked and thought that you have leukemia and need a donator for bone marrow or something.

That's fine. All depends what you want to use it for really... the only reason you would need something better is if you were a gaming graphics nut, or working with/producing audio.

For normal users who record and are not called Jari Mäenpää, it should be more than enough.

Yeah, it was just a great deal that made me get it. And I think it was cheaper because it was 'refurbished'. Plus I got the professional install which makes sure all the trial bullshit is removed and vista is tuned to run perfect. I still feel sick I want to know if I got a good computer that will be good in a few years still. I built a PC in 2005/2006 and it's still good today, just need a better processor because it lags with all the shit I have open.

Yeah i've heard about the horrific AMD Quad Cores. They seem to look good on paper but not in reality. Oh and Chamet is right about the lightscribe being piece of shit gimmick. I still haven't seen any lightscribable CD's or DVD's anywhere...i've seen one that had been done with LightScribe and it wasn't any satisfactory result honestly.

Well i will put it this way. I would accept that computer over the PoS i have for anything. It was a bargain and it's really not bad at all...

Sure it's not the BEST you can get but it's the best for the money and you got it for so cheap too so i would just be happy and go for a fap.

Ha, well. tl;dr @ bottom

Of the four 2.2ghz processors you get, you, since you dont eitehr game or produce music/do heavy gfx editing(so i assume), will only able to use ONE core, maybe 2. It should be noted, in case you dont know, that 4 2.2ghz processors does not equal 8.8ghz, but 2.2ghz, period. Chances are you might be stepping BACK on the processing power you'll effectively use(because support for multicore processing is something that has to be hardcoded into a program, if the code is not there, no more than 1 processor will be used).

I would seriously not use that processor if i were you, considering you talked about wanting more processor power.

I recommend a Intel Core2Duo 3.2ghz processor, or even a singlecore 3+ghz processor, minimum. The 4 cores you most likely will NEVER use(heck, 4 cores have 2 caches, meaning if you render feks, music realtime, things will have to pass through 3 levels of cache to get to the proper area, meaning its bottlenecked to lag regardless of how many billion ghz you push into the processor).

The RAM should be plentiful. I run windows XP sp3 with 2gb ram(DDR3 1333mhz tho, but either way), and its plentiful for me. I work with music and load huge VST's and gunk into it, and ive so far only ran out of ram when trying to run games at stupidly high settings(i.e, above maximum, lolmods).
3GB should be plenty, and if not, ram is one of the cheapest upgrades nowadays, really.

The videocard, is.. pretty bad... Atleast from the looks of it.

Nvidia has the following system:

8500GT <-- = series, meaning yours is a 8, 9 is basically the same chipset(or so ive heard), so its the previous generation. I have one from the same generation, fyi. The latest generation is the 2XX generation, but its new as balls, priced so aswell.

8500GT <-- Internal series rank, where 800 is the highest(maybe 900, not sure), and 200 is the lowest, 500 is "inbetween", meaning it should be able to run games at low-medium settings, depending on how new they are ofcourse, the 200's are rubbish, steer clear, unless microsoft word is your most gfx heavy app.

8500GT <-- this, is the biggest thing to keep an eye out for. GT is the normal name, meaning its as it should be. GTX = pimped with overclocking and whatnot, a good choice, while GS, means "Grand Shit", pretty much rubbish. Stripped down and without features.

GT, is decent, but when put together with the 500, and that its not the 9 series, i doubt you'd be able to get much performance out of it. Especially with 256MB VRam.

Again, this depends on how much you use GFX heavy programs(Modern games, 3D Software, etc)

It's a pity they don't name the type or make of the Motherboard, as it pretty much decides what your upgrade options(if any at all) will be, Looking at it i can't really say it looks epic, but decent. A important notice is that you CANNOT use Intel Processors when its fitted with AMD chipset(as implied by the processor, lulz), so you're limited to AMD processors for the now. I don't have much experience with modern AMD's (had one ages ago, which got so hot it MELTED and fucking RUINED my Mobo, but they say they fixed that problem a long time ago so dont worry).

The soundcard looks like its internal with the mobo, can't say much about it really.
HDD is big and a normal speed is listed, so you wont run into problems there, methinks. Still it bugs me they don't name the makers of virtually half of whats listed.

Personally, i wouldnt have paid a penny over what you did, and i probably wouldn't have gotten it.
The thing is, it depends so much on how you plan on using it.

I paid $1100 for my computer, quite a class above yours in price, but i think i'd consider going up a notch in priceclass, and possibly buying the computer in parts and building it yourself(it's not that hard), you'll save cash on the labour and gunk they put in.

tl;dr:
-The processor will be insufficient if you want moar CPU powah(row row)
-GFX Card is weak, depending on what you want to use it for
-Rest should be fine
-What do you want to use it for?

I wouldn't have bought it. OR maybe i would...but the thing is that AMD processors (ESPECIALLY THE QUAD CORES) Have had huge problems lately and it has 3 gb RAM instead of the ordinary 4. I dunno man....it's okay i guess.
i agree on the processor, im not a fan of AMD either. I also think quadcore is still kinda instable since its rather new but not so sure about this.

but wtf is your point with the 3RAM thing? :lol: standard is 2gb nowadays i think, 4gb is kinda overload (i have 4 and it rarely goes above 50% usage) but then again, vista automaticly REMOVES 1GB just for the OS to use o_o
Does this guy know what he's talking about? No offense I just want to make sure! I feel really sick :lol:

no :lol:
imo it was quite a good deal