The TORPEDO VB-101
a digital loadbox/speaker/mic emulator

http://www.diffusion-audio.com/torpedo/

(impluses rackmount?)

A rack mount speaker emulator...
i think would go nicely with an Axe-FX

* Fixed 8 ohms input
* Max admissible power : 150W RMS
* Controled ventilation and thermal security : amp and musician are perfectly safe.
* Power input (Speaker output from amp)
* Power output to connect a cabinet
* DI output without AD/DA conversion (Pre Sim Out)

* Loaded from factory with 16 speaker simulations (guitar and bass, 8+8), internal memory capable of containing more than 32 different speakers.
* 8 microphones amongst the most used in studio
* One free speaker available to download on the website each month
* 5ms latency
* 24 bits, 192 kHz AD and DA converters
* 32 bits floating point, 96 kHz internal processing
* 100dB S/N ratio
* AES/EBU and S/PDIF input / output up to 96 kHz.
* Internal, AES/SPDIF or Wordclock sync
* Torpedo Remote software, PC and MAC compatible, driverless USB connexion to the VB-101
* MIDI handling (real time Program Change and Control Change)
* Optionnal Ethernet communication

* Power Input
* Power Output
* Symetrical / asymetrical line input, switched by relay
* Symetrical Pre-Sim line output
* Symetrical line dual-mono / stereo outputs
* Stereo headphone output
* AES/EBU and S/PDIF digital inputs
* AES/EBU and S/PDIF digital outputs
* Wordclock Sync
* MIDI In, Out/Thru
* USB
* Optional Ethernet

* USB cable
* Power supply cable
* User's Manual
* Torpedo Remote and Torpedo Capture software (download available on the website)

Dailymotion - TORPEDO VB-101 PRESENTATION - une vidéo Hi-Tech et Science

Cool idea. It's about time someone jumped on this. I haven't seen that much interest in the SM Pro Audio V-machines thing. It's pretty damn ideal for live gigs. Get the warmth of ye olde tubes without the phase issues of running a quad behind the FOH system, nor the spill.

Only thing that concerns me is 5ms is a fairly high amount of latency. I record at a 64 sample buffer (bout 2ms roundtrip) when we track guitars, so I'm not sure why they couldn't drop it lower in a dedicated box.

@Benny: This thing is better than the Axe-FX in that you're running a real amp head into it. It's doing all the load soaking crap, so you're getting power amp saturation as well, and you're just replacing the cab with impulses. It's basically everything I ever wanted in a gigging rig.

Yah.. so an Axe-fx would be redundant in it's amp modelling and cab simulation functions. It would just be a general effects unit if used in combination with the 'Torpedo'

I was just refering to this - "i think would go nicely with an Axe-FX" -guitarguru777

Cool enough, but every clip I've heard, including the ones posted on this forum, sound like shit even compared to impulses.

It can't replace a real mic'd amp - I'd rather use a Palmer for 1/4 the price.

Cool enough, but every clip I've heard, including the ones posted on this forum, sound like shit even compared to impulses.

It can't replace a real mic'd amp - I'd rather use a Palmer for 1/4 the price.

But I thought they are impulses, aren't they?

It would be cool if you could load custom impulses, but the price is ridiculous.

One of my customers was using it on world tours with Recabinet IRs loaded. Maybe he still is, we haven't chatted in a bit. His overall opinion last year was that the unit is awesome but could use to be made a bit more road-rugged.

I tired it at NAMM..neat unit..And the guys from the company were very nice..price seems a but steep for my "HACK" ass! I heard a SOLDANO SLO and a Cornford through it

Ya its definitely something I am taking a big interest in right now. Just for the simple fact that i can crank the fuck out of the amp and be totally silent :headbang:

I really need to buy a house so volume isnt an issue anymore ....lol

POWER TUBE SATURATION FTW!!!!

Suggested price is 2329 euros ($2800 USD at the time of writing this). For that price, you could get an Axe FX ultra AND a THD Hotplate, and you'd have everything this offers as well as effects and amp simulation. I like the idea of this thing, but not for more than $700.

Cool idea but that price is just fucking retarded. A cabinet simulator that costs more than an Axe FX, something that the Axe FX does and then some, just because you added a dummy load? Whatever they are on I want it, because it must be some good shit!

Priced out of its most likely market I'd say .
If you can afford 2k euros on something that does this then you probably already run a successfully sound proofed studio.
We could all do with one of these for sure . Good concept !

Fuck that shit, I wouldn't pay more than $500.
Nice idea, though. But then again, I'd rather DIY a dummy load and use a laptop :\ I can tolerate a maximum of 128 samples.