Help Me Build a New Monster of a Computer

Anvil

Brain Bubbled
Jun 2, 2004
So I figured I'd post the spec sheet in it's own thread, and get some ideas from the other computer geeks in here.

There are a couple main uses of this new system. Surveillance for the apartment I live in, gaming, rendering of 3d environments, and of course, web design. Obviously the only things that are going to be bogging down any computer, are the 3d rendering, and the gaming.

I want this system to be the best of the best, and keep me in the gaming community for a while. My current system dropped out about 2 years ago, since I built this system specifically for Doom 3.

The game I want this system to be flawless in is Bioshock, but of course I want it to be able to just blow it out of the water. So lets hear your ideas, any changes, any necessaries, etc.

1 x Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB Retail Box
1 x ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus ATX LGA775 DDR2 Nforce 650I + 570 SLI 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Motherboard
1 x Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775 2500RPM 45CFM
2 x OCZ ATI Crossfire PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit
1 x EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS 500MHZ 320MB 1.6GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV HDCP DIRECTX10 Video Card
1 x Antec Sonata III Black ATX 16IN Mid Tower Quiet Case 3X5.25 2X3.5 4X3.5IN 500W 120MM Fan
1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive
1 x Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 PCI Retail Box Bilingual
1 x BFG PhysX Card Ageia Physics Processor Card PCI 128MB 128-BIT GDDR3

EDIT: Make sure to post a source link and/or price, it'd help me out a lot.

I already have two 19" LG monitors, a G15 keyboard, and a optical microsoft mouse.

If you're going to splurge on a nice fan, at least go for some good thermal goop with it. I'd go for Arctic Silver Ceramique - with the stock fan and that stuff my max load (on a dual-core 64-bit AMD) stays under 40*C... little details like that are helpful. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100009

I don't seem to care much for 5.1 (I think it's a bit much... stereo's fine, I have two bloody ears and I don't go pole-dancing at the computer regularly, but then again I don't know if that's normal around here) but Logitech is a good way to go. Just be ready to bitch at the shipping company and Newegg when it's dropped at your door, the doorbell rings, and the courier literally runs off your property even if he sees you standing in the doorway watching him introduce your lovely little boxes to gravity in all the wrong ways.

At least one cowbell per hand is highly recommended. I would splurge and go for two for each hand, and then put one about 6-8 inches above the other on both sides so that when you get really bored and need to get aggression out and confusion in as quickly possible you can bounce a pencil between the two and increase efficiency by up to 200%, but if you're pressed for cash then one for each hand should suffice.
http://www.bell-outlet.com/bluebell.htm

Jeff

I've always stuck with the 2.1 sound systems, as I don't have anywhere to put rear speakers.

But yes, One thing I wanted to examine was a different cooling idea.

I have Ceramique, its worth it man.

And JB, you never had auto encoded dts pumped into your system either at 505 watts. You'd cry if you heard these and the HTPC card they're attached to.

blowing money on a new computer?

5047.jpg

Mr. Beard, has anyone ever told you that you have a striking resemblance to the guitarist from Quo Vadis?

I was looking at him for a good minute or so wondering where I had seen him before, and it hit me.

So I figured I'd post the spec sheet in it's own thread, and get some ideas from the other computer geeks in here.

There are a couple main uses of this new system. Surveillance for the apartment I live in, gaming, rendering of 3d environments, and of course, web design. Obviously the only things that are going to be bogging down any computer, are the 3d rendering, and the gaming.

I want this system to be the best of the best, and keep me in the gaming community for a while. My current system dropped out about 2 years ago, since I built this system specifically for Doom 3.

The game I want this system to be flawless in is Bioshock, but of course I want it to be able to just blow it out of the water. So lets hear your ideas, any changes, any necessaries, etc.

1 x Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB Retail Box
1 x ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus ATX LGA775 DDR2 Nforce 650I + 570 SLI 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Motherboard
1 x Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775 2500RPM 45CFM
2 x OCZ ATI Crossfire PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit
1 x EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS 500MHZ 320MB 1.6GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV HDCP DIRECTX10 Video Card
1 x Antec Sonata III Black ATX 16IN Mid Tower Quiet Case 3X5.25 2X3.5 4X3.5IN 500W 120MM Fan
1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive
1 x Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 PCI Retail Box Bilingual
1 x BFG PhysX Card Ageia Physics Processor Card PCI 128MB 128-BIT GDDR3

EDIT: Make sure to post a source link and/or price, it'd help me out a lot.

I already have two 19" LG monitors, a G15 keyboard, and a optical microsoft mouse.

if you can tell me what your budget is....i can come up with a computer around that that fits your needs...let me know Tyler