I SERIOUSLY NEED HELP!

i agree on the processor, im not a fan of AMD either. I also think quadcore is still kinda instable since its rather new but not so sure about this.

but wtf is your point with the 3RAM thing? :lol: standard is 2gb nowadays i think, 4gb is kinda overload (i have 4 and it rarely goes above 50% usage) but then again, vista automaticly REMOVES 1GB just for the OS to use o_o

Quads arent really unstable, you just cant use all of their power unless the program is made to use all of its power. And even then, if it uses more than 1 Cache, it introduces a bottleneck into the system that you cannot bypass whatsoever, so a dualcore would actually be faster.

Standard nowadays with vista, is actually moving more over to 4GB, though it depends so much on how you use it. I know guise wiht 8GB Ram, and THATS overkill

One would actually benefit more from faster ram, going from DDR2 to DDR3, and up in clock speed(feks from the DDR2 800mhz to the ram i use: DDR3 1333mhz) REALLY impacts.
I had DDR-DIMM before though :lol:, took me like 3minutes to load Ez Drummer - Drumkit from hell. Now it takes me aprox 5-10 seconds, maybe less

Quads arent really unstable, you just cant use all of their power unless the program is made to use all of its power. And even then, if it uses more than 1 Cache, it introduces a bottleneck into the system that you cannot bypass whatsoever, so a dualcore would actually be faster.
Ah, well like i said i wasnt really sure about what i said.
Standard nowadays with vista, is actually moving more over to 4GB, though it depends so much on how you use it. I know guise wiht 8GB Ram, and THATS overkill
:lol: yeah. Well, i saw someone who even added more to it, but vista doesnt even support more than 8gb :zombie:
One would actually benefit more from faster ram, going from DDR2 to DDR3, and up in clock speed(feks from the DDR2 800mhz to the ram i use: DDR3 1333mhz) REALLY impacts.
I had DDR-DIMM before though :lol:, took me like 3minutes to load Ez Drummer - Drumkit from hell. Now it takes me aprox 5-10 seconds, maybe less

Ofcourse, but DDR3 is also not really nessesary unless you simultaneously use a shitload if big applications :p

but well, i can see you know a fuckload more about this than me :lol:

I'm getting a really weird feeling that computers might be cheaper in Norway than anywhere else now :lol:

Sell it to a nerd, and by a Macbook. I'm serious.
Mac is the same shit for $1000 dollar more.

Ha, well. tl;dr @ bottom

Of the four 2.2ghz processors you get, you, since you dont eitehr game or produce music/do heavy gfx editing(so i assume), will only able to use ONE core, maybe 2.

This is true but if in the future I decide to do something like this, I'd like to have a pc capable of doing that.

I would seriously not use that processor if i were you, considering you talked about wanting more processor power.

Well on my XP Media Centre PC I as having lag issues because I'd have open Mozilla (with a bunch of tabs), MSN, Photoshop, Itunes, Spybot, random shit, etc and it would lag really hard and needed to be restarted often to run smoothly (I think there were memory leaks too). It was just a 1.8mghz processor and the video card was 128mb so :lol: If I was watching a movie on my tv (pc is s-video hooked to the tv) it would lag like shit :lol: I figured instead of upgrading what I had it'd be cheaper to buy a new pc and sell this one for like $300. It runs good though and if I re-did windows I'd be happy with it still but like I said I saw this in the store and seemed like an epic deal.

The videocard, is.. pretty bad... Atleast from the looks of it.

Nvidia has the following system:

8500GT <-- = series, meaning yours is a 8, 9 is basically the same chipset(or so ive heard), so its the previous generation. I have one from the same generation, fyi. The latest generation is the 2XX generation, but its new as balls, priced so aswell.

8500GT <-- Internal series rank, where 800 is the highest(maybe 900, not sure), and 200 is the lowest, 500 is "inbetween", meaning it should be able to run games at low-medium settings, depending on how new they are ofcourse, the 200's are rubbish, steer clear, unless microsoft word is your most gfx heavy app.

8500GT <-- this, is the biggest thing to keep an eye out for. GT is the normal name, meaning its as it should be. GTX = pimped with overclocking and whatnot, a good choice, while GS, means "Grand Shit", pretty much rubbish. Stripped down and without features.

GT, is decent, but when put together with the 500, and that its not the 9 series, i doubt you'd be able to get much performance out of it. Especially with 256MB VRam.

Again, this depends on how much you use GFX heavy programs(Modern games, 3D Software, etc)

Well he said it was a decent video card, not high-end but it'd run games at medium settings no problem. I don't game, at all on the pc, but the option to do so is something I still want if I'm paying all this money. I use Photoshop and I watch a lot of movies so that is my main priority for the graphics.

Personally, i wouldnt have paid a penny over what you did, and i probably wouldn't have gotten it.
The thing is, it depends so much on how you plan on using it.

Well, I don't plan on using it for anything overly taxing, but I still want the option to use these things if I want, I payed afterall.

I paid $1100 for my computer, quite a class above yours in price, but i think i'd consider going up a notch in priceclass, and possibly buying the computer in parts and building it yourself(it's not that hard), you'll save cash on the labour and gunk they put in.

Well what do you think, should I return it and then buy the parts and have someone build my p.c. or what? Keep in mind I don't game. Did I get a good pc that will serve me well for years to come or what?

Considering that I've built all the PCs I've owned I should be able to help. But unfortunately I'm not that up to date on new technology, I built this PC when Dual Cores had just been released, so I don't know the standard prices of PC components these days.

One thing I would say is that 3gb of RAM is a little strange, PCs tend to perform better with an even number of RAM, I don't know why, but it's pretty much always been a rule that you upgrade from 2gb to 4gb, from 4gb to 6gb ect ect.

The 8500GT graphics card is alright, it will run most games nowadays sufficiently. But if you're wanting to max out your graphics capabilities you'll want to go for something in Nvidia's 9 series range..

And sorry but I know nothing about AMD processors, I've always been a Intel guy :lol:

funnypicturescomputermoxe5.jpg

No seriously.

You have a fine computer for that money. The quadcore is great to run a shitload of program's at the same time, but it wont help if you just run 1 program.

3GB is enough for you. If it isn't, you can always buy extra memory for a very low price cause its so cheap right now.

Graphic card should do the job, its not the best one for high resolution gaming. But it can do the job.

Considering that I've built all the PCs I've owned I should be able to help. But unfortunately I'm not that up to date on new technology, I built this PC when Dual Cores had just been released, so I don't know the standard prices of PC components these days.

One thing I would say is that 3gb of RAM is a little strange, PCs tend to perform better with an even number of RAM, I don't know why, but it's pretty much always been a rule that you upgrade from 2gb to 4gb, from 4gb to 6gb ect ect.

The 8500GT graphics card is alright, it will run most games nowadays sufficiently. But if you're wanting to max out your graphics capabilities you'll want to go for something in Nvidia's 9 series range..

And sorry but I know nothing about AMD processors, I've always been a Intel guy :lol:

I guess I'm curious to know, could I have built an equally good or better pc for 700-800 dollars?

As far as the RAM, the guy said at 4gb that the OS goes into 64bit mode and it's a bit unstable with some programs. I dunno shit really though.

Nah, it isnt.

Most of those memory modules run in a "dual channel" setup. So you have:
2x512 = 1GB
2x1024 = 2GB
2x2048 = 4GB
etc etc

But most of the computerbuilders think 4GB is overkill and they will just add a two 512MB modules to fill up all memory slots.

Well I just did the exchange rate on 700 Canadian Dollars (you do mean Canadian Dollars right?) and that's about £350. So considering that most high end graphics cards alone cost that much. I'd say it's a pretty fucking good deal.

I mean, to put it simply, Quad-Core processer, decent graphics card (although slightly out of date (but hey, everything in computer components is always out of date)), 720gb HDD and over 2gb of RAM for that price, is seriously good.

And you can always upgrade it later, because luckily you weren't a faggot and didnt buy a Mac :lol:

A slow poster, I is

guise beat me to it

Well what do you think, should I return it and then buy the parts and have someone build my p.c. or what? Keep in mind I don't game. Did I get a good pc that will serve me well for years to come or what?

I think, from what you described of how you will use it, the PC should be sufficient, considering it supports Quad CPU, it wont be a problem to upgrade to some of the niftyer CPU's when time comes that the one you have now will be a pain in the ass. Personally i'd throw out the one inside now, sell it or something, and get a more powerful dualcore. Singlecore standards are now pushing up and around 3.2ghz, which is why i think 2.2ghz is a bit weak. If you lag a lot on 1.8, 2.2 is just 400mhz up from that, chances are it wont sort all of your problems, but it might. It depends on many factors haha.

so keep it, but keep in mind that you might want to upgrade the CPU, the rest should be plenty

Aye, when i built my last computer, Singlecores hadn't passed the 3.0ghz mark yet, and DDR2 was a great legend for the future. Imagine how much my jaw dropped when i pulled the NVidia 9800GTX+ out of the box, and found out that the motherfucking card was so fucking huge, it took up 2 PCI slots in the back of my case, and its so fucking long that i cant use more than 2 of the 4 SATA slots :lol:

I have a theory on the even numbers in RAM thing; it might have something to do with computers being binary, and loving "the power of 2"
2, 4, 16

which leads me to what question what was said earlier about Vista only supporting 8gb, i thought it was alteast 16?

When i built my computer singlecores had barely passed the 2 ghz mark. The higher end was then about 1.8-2.0 ghz :lol: My computer also has 512 Mb of ram...i don't even think its DDR. I also only got 3 USB slots and they are all on the backside so i get electrical shocks everytime i insert new device.