Is it wrong of me?

Executioner213

Ultimate Meatbag
Sep 2, 2001
Spokane, WA
www.facebook.com
My wife decided to give me $600 from her school loans to buy a new laptop with, after she came home with a new laptop that is *technically* better than mine for her school needs. I would have just gone out and bought the same one she got but it didn't have an express card port and had no firewire (I'm sure some of you saw my previous thread about it). So I decided instead of just going and getting any ol' laptop for $600, I'd save it and put it towards one I really want...easier to start saving if you are half- or almost to your goal than from zero, right?

So I started digging up specs and this and that...figuring out prices of shit, who has the same things for cheaper, etc. I started thinking out loud the other day about "what if...?" scenarios and I mentioned that I could pay off one that would be really sick if I financed it within a matter of 2-3 months with the $800 I'm currently sitting on.

My wife got pissed, as she's not even remotely interested in financing anything at this point...which then got her pissed because I mentioned how my buddy's laptop was pretty cool and he only paid $600 for his, and that hers was better than the one I got and she only paid around $600 for hers, and now I want a more expensive one now that I have money handed to me and why can't I just settle for this instead of thinking of a money pit to dig up...and it's all for something that isn't a need but a want...yadda yadda yadda.

So...is it wrong of me to want something bigger and better, wanting to get something thats gonna be sufficient for my needs for probably the next 4-5 years or better, rather than just settling on something that is going to lose it's novelty in 2? I think she's just looking at it as I just want something bigger and better...not something thats going to be more than sufficient for my recording needs, so I can worry less about the limitations of my machine and can focus on just recording the fucking audio with it...worry more about the mics and the knobs than whether my laptop is going to fuck up at any given moment.

...and lay off the "get a mac" stuff, I'm not even interested in hearing it FYI.

I didn't really understand most things I just read, but anyways... I know your pain; My ex never understood my investments in audio equipment, it was the same to her as if I would've spent the money on video games and shit.

Plain english:

Is it wrong of me to want to save for something superior if I'm given money to put towards something, or should I just get the original item of interest because I was given money to buy that? Am I 'not greatful enough'?

In a sense its kind of kicking her in the ass cuz she gave you the money to help you out and then you go and save a little more and get a better one...which is understandable on her part....but being in the same interests as you and everyone else here on the forum i see your point as well....why not go with the $600 and then put whatever you saved into expanding the internals?

I don't think there is any harm in saving - the money you were given is going to be spent anyway, so what's the difference.

You can use the argument I use with my wife: What I say goes, because I have a penis, and you don't :lol:

I can see why she would be pissed. It reminds me of Chevy Chase in Dirty Work , when he needs the money to pay off the sharks who are going to kill him , and when he gets the money he's like .. " I could go to Vegas and turn this 10 thousand into 100 thousand " and Norm MacDonald's like NO ! You go straight to the loan sharks !

8252-bigthumbnail.jpg

If she gave you $600 as a gift to buy a laptop, I cant see anything wrong with adding your own cash to it as well to get something that you're ALREADY SAVING UP FOR. Thats pretty controlling of her to say you are "not allowed" to spend more than the $600 she gave you. Have you tried explaining to her the benefits of having a laptop thats capable of portable recording? I know my wife wouldn't question it if I told her I could use it to make money recording music. Maybe try explaining your point of view while not forgetting to let her know how thankful you are... Hell, man... write and record her a song (or album) with the new beast!!!

You know, the laptop I'm buying is gonna not only shit on any Desktop I can see buying for $600 (because I'm spending more), but I can't carry a desktop around with me like I need to. It's all about individual needs, I already compared/contrasted the whole desktop vs. laptop equation.