Recommend a laptop.

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
Hey dudes,

I'm looking to buy a non-Mac laptop. I want something with at least an i5 processor and would like an esata port, 4GB RAM...yadda yadda. I know, kind of random specs, but I pretty much want something uber solid that is pretty damn fast. The place I'm interning at is pretty much 100% PC based and uses Nuendo.

I was checking out this Asus: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/N61JV-X2-16-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/B00352LQYO[/ame]

How's it look? I've been checking that one out as well as a similarly spec'd Samsung. I'll also be using it as a general net computer, in-front-of-TV deal and will probably record with it in my spare time.

Would I be able to install some firewire ports in her?

Sorry, random questions but I've literally never owned a laptop and have been a Mac user for the past 5 years.

cheers

Joe

Why would you want to step aside from MacOS?
Is it just the price?

I have had both Powerbooks and Acer laptops and I would never toss MAcOSx for a windows based PC...

Why would you want to step aside from MacOS?
Is it just the price?

I have had both Powerbooks and Acer laptops and I would never toss MAcOSx for a windows based PC...

The main goal is to become comfortable with Nuendo on a PC, since the place I'm interning at uses almost all PC based systems.

Joe

remember that the i5-750 is a far better choice for audio work (and other properly multithreaded applications) as it is a true 4-core affair. All the rest of the i5 series have 2 cores and although they can be great for some tasks due to clever technology implemented by intel, they lack the brute power of the i5-750

Love my Asus. Well built and OS was well configured. Get ready to turn off ACPI if you use it for DAW.

remember that the i5-750 is a far better choice for audio work (and other properly multithreaded applications) as it is a true 4-core affair. All the rest of the i5 series have 2 cores and although they can be great for some tasks due to clever technology implemented by intel, they lack the brute power of the i5-750

Ey, thanks for the info. Do you know of any notebooks out there w/ that particular processor?

thanks

Joe

Sorry, just looked and intel haven't made a mobile version of the 750 :(

best value for money for audio is probably going to be in the low end i7 machines with the i7-720QM, i7-740QM and maybe the i7-820QM, although that starts getting pretty expensive

Sorry, just looked and intel haven't made a mobile version of the 750 :(

best value for money for audio is probably going to be in the low end i7 machines with the i7-720QM, i7-740QM and maybe the i7-820QM, although that starts getting pretty expensive

Thanks for the reply dude. How does this one look: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/N61JQ-X1-16-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/B00352LQZS[/ame]

??

Would I notice a significant difference between the quad-core 1.6 and the dual core model I posted?

Joe

I guess what I mean is, will the 1.6 quad core be faster than 2.26 dual core? I don't know much about processors and basically rely on clock speed usually when choosing.

Joe

I'd make sure they have express card slots in them. The specs don't explicitly say they do. The pics look like they show an expresscard34 slot on the left side of the computer, but I know on a lot of ASUS's they have a "knock out" spot where the card slot is that is there on all/most models, and they just knock the cover out for the models that have an actual express card bus.

I've looked at a few ASUS lappys with quad core processors and have yet to find a current model with the card slot, not to mention one that has integrated FW (which could potentially not work with your interface).

The best compromise I've found was a Sony Vaio. I'll hang on to my dual core machine a bit longer though.

I'd make sure they have express card slots in them. The specs don't explicitly say they do. The pics look like they show an expresscard34 slot on the left side of the computer, but I know on a lot of ASUS's they have a "knock out" spot where the card slot is that is there on all/most models, and they just knock the cover out for the models that have an actual express card bus.

I've looked at a few ASUS lappys with quad core processors and have yet to find a current model with the card slot, not to mention one that has integrated FW (which could potentially not work with your interface).

The best compromise I've found was a Sony Vaio. I'll hang on to my dual core machine a bit longer though.

Thanks for the info/concerns, but they list an express card 34 slot for the last one I posted...so I should be ok, eh? any particular brand to get for a firewire card? thanks

Joe

I'd be tempted to go with the i7 myself, hoping for better low latency performance. The core 2 quad can get you a lot of cycles for comparatively little money though.

Tough choice, the laptop world just doesn't have clear winners like the i5-750 or the desktop i7s