Which Laptop should I buy (pasted from...)

Jul 16, 2007
Pasted from forum.notebookreview.com

1) What is your budget?

Up to $1400 USD

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

Mainstream

3) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in.

Midwest, Kansas City

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
I'm actually more partial to off brands that not many people have heard of.
I get the impression that HP, Compaq, ACER and even sometimes Dell all take shortcuts to get a cheaper product. The laptop needs to be fast enough to get what I want but built well enough to not break or stop working.

Maybe someone can prove me wrong. I played with a build at

www.ibuypower.com and I came up with something good for $1250. WHat do people have to say about this brand?
5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?
Major DAW software for recording and mixing songs with several tracks and plugins. My current desktop is the AMD X2 4000+ with 2 gigs of 800 RAM and I get by with 24 tracks in Pro Tools before it stops working. I'd like to exceed this threshold with the laptop. I want to take my recording rig mobile so drummers don't have to pack all their stuff up and guitar players don't have to lug 100 pounds of gear around. It also must have a firewire port.

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
both

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
no games

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
it'll probably be plugged in a lot, maybe 2 hrs?

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?
I'm hoping I can see one in person but I trust people here know what they're talking about

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
XP (but I have an extra copy so I'll format anyway)

Screen Specifics

11) Would you prefer standard or widescreen?
widescreen

12) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?
1440x900

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
no, it just can't break

15) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
5 years

Notebook Components

16) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 500GB?
120 gig 7200 RPM

17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

DVD Burner

I've read a couple threads on here about this with budgets of $2000 for this type of thing. I want the Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5 GHZ with the 6 MB L2 Cache. Will a higher cache make more of a difference?

I know I can't really get 800 RAM for many laptops yet so I'm ok with just the 667. I've configured several laptops from many places with these specs and I can get in the $1400 ballpark. I just need to know what kind of flaws I can expect with each one.

Is IBM Lenovo Thinkbook T61 any good for this? The only thing that bugs me is that the firewire port is on the front!

Thanks!

If you have that much to spend, I say get a macbook. Just don't even think about it anymore.

In my humble PC geek experience... I was building PCs and writing BASIC in 6th grade and used PCs up until a couple years ago when I finally gave a mac a try and now I abhor Windows and the bloated generic PC world because it is useless to me!

Now, there are still weird things that happen on macs and they might lockup or need to be restarted on occassion, but 99% of the time it's when it's online especially sites like myspace.

I can honestly say I've never had any kind of crash or anything when recording, so I will always prefer them if only for that sole reason. Not only that but I never have to go digging through options and page through 5 tabs of checkboxes with 50 options that nobody needs. It always does what I need it to do. It's a computer, not a friend. Even so, OS X has so many convenient and easy to use features that it is friendly. Maybe other people have stable PCs and but I never have, and I've tried really hard. I could never get any wireless router to work when I had a PC, but when I got a mac and an airport it was up and running without a second thought.

There is too much thinking required when it comes to PCs, IMHO, that hinders the creative process severely. I'm sorry I have no advice for buying PCs because I stopped giving a shit about computers and tech/gear for the most part.

Your experience may be (gasp!) different.

If i wanted a macbook to mix and record my band's stuff when i'm not at home, what kind of spec would i need? On my PC at home i have Cubase SX and it does everything i need it to do. The PC has 2GB of ram and an external firewire audio interface. I can't remember the processor speed though...

I guess I can't go lower than the 2GB of ram?

Macbooks seem expensive to me- I guess if you like the OS it's worth it though