Minimum specs for a mobile recording notebook/laptop??

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
What would you guys say is the minimum spec that a notebook or laptop requires for mobile recording?

I want to buy something that I can travel with and use at home occasionally, but something that can handle mobile recording for jams, demos, etc.

I'm mainly interested in processing power and RAM.

What else should I look out for?

I realize that PCs would be cheaper, but I could possibly get an older generation Mac for a lower price, yes?

thanks

-Joe

my powerbook can handle some pretty decent recording if I needed it to (superior 2.0 and 8 tracks of simultaneous audio tracks being recorded) I think the powerbook stopped working well with like 20 audio tracks and a couple virtual instruments

2GB of RAM and only a single 1.67Ghz processor

Thanks fellas. I might bite the bullet and go with a PC notebook for the price. I have been a Mac user for the past couple of years, but want something portable.

I am mainly interested in just tracking right now, so nothing TOO heavy is required.

Cheers.

-Joe

What would you guys say is the best bang for my buck? I know nothing of notebooks or PCs. Oh, and how the hell can I avoid using Vista!?

I've been checking out some Samsung notebooks.

-Joe

For PC laptop, I heard that HP is best. I honestly don't know much about PC laptop though, but I think that if I were not a MAC user, I would have an HP

And I think you will just have to unistall Vista and install XP.

I got a Rain Recording Livebook last summer, and it's fucking FANTASTIC - besides the awesome customer support and top-spec components (that have all been chosen to increase throughput and decrease bottlenecking, rather than just be super fast), they ship it with a version of XP that has all the useless shit disabled and uninstalled for MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY. Can't recommend it enough! (provided you want a PC, of course ;))

These actually seem like a great option. What are the max processing power on these? I would love to spend a grand on one of these. Not sure how possible that is, but I'd *like* to keep my budget there. I suppose if I find a better deal I can stretch my budget.

Wish they had 15" monitors too.

-Joe

I got a Rain Recording Livebook last summer, and it's fucking FANTASTIC - besides the awesome customer support and top-spec components (that have all been chosen to increase throughput and decrease bottlenecking, rather than just be super fast), they ship it with a version of XP that has all the useless shit disabled and uninstalled for MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY. Can't recommend it enough! (provided you want a PC, of course ;))

Their rack PCs seem pretty good! :)