Eye Laser Surgery - would you do it?

Krigloch the Furious said:
I had it done in July of 2002 for $3600.
Came out with 20/15 vision. probably 20/20 now.
There is no pain at all. Its cool stuff, watching a thing come down and cut the cover over my eye was cool.
Then the 14z0R does a ticking sound for about 15 seconds then the eye is done.

That's good to know.

Did they have any sort of payment plans? If I can do that, I'm getting it done sooner rahter than later.

I've heard about a dozen positive stories and one horror story. But the horror story she went to one of the "discount" places. They fucked up, and she had to keep going back for "adjustments" and now that its finally right, she has no nightvision cause they had to fuck around so much.

markgugs said:
That's good to know.

Did they have any sort of payment plans? If I can do that, I'm getting it done sooner rahter than later.

no clue about the payment plans. but yeah its totally worth it.
if you can afford it, theres no reason to wait.
and like someone else said, go to a good doctor.

Iconoclastic Tendencies said:
I've heard about a dozen positive stories and one horror story. But the horror story she went to one of the "discount" places. They fucked up, and she had to keep going back for "adjustments" and now that its finally right, she has no nightvision cause they had to fuck around so much.

if you want to be "safe" about it, you can do one eye at a time.

Krigloch the Furious said:
if you want to be "safe" about it, you can do one eye at a time.

hahaha .. this sounds so funny

keep the glasses ... they are such dramatic tools

my vision isn't too bad, i only wear glasses at night and when watching movies.

i'll probably never wear contacts (fuck that shit), but if my vision go to the point where i had to wear glasses all the time, i'd probably get the surgery.

lurch70 said:
hahaha .. this sounds so funny
keep the glasses ... they are such dramatic tools

haha, that totally reminds me of a buddy of mine. he has a pair of glasses, that are just plain glass lenses with no vision altering properties. They're specifcally for the effect they have. He first got them when he was performing in a play to add to the costume, then while he was practicing for the role, he found just how useful/powerful they could be and now he still uses them.

JayKeeley said:
...would they consider doing it? Messing with the eyes just sounds so risky to me....
I currently have no need for glasses, so I don't really have any perspective on what that's like and how far I'd go to give up wearing glasses. If you decide to do it, first spend a good deal of time researching your options and finding a really good doctor (but I'm sure you already know that).

Zod

Iconoclastic Tendencies said:
haha, that totally reminds me of a buddy of mine. he has a pair of glasses, that are just plain glass lenses with no vision altering properties. They're specifcally for the effect they have. He first got them when he was performing in a play to add to the costume, then while he was practicing for the role, he found just how useful/powerful they could be and now he still uses them.

yeah, when angry ... just whip them off in a sideways motion ... instantly scares the kiddies. :D

wtf? when my mom had it done something about 6 years ago, it was like $1500 per eye. I've seen it as cheap as $400 per eye lately, but I'm not sure I trust the cheap places. The expensive places are still under $1000 per eye. I didn't realize that medical procedure costs were so vastly different in different locations. Anyhoo, of the 2 people I've known who had it done, both have had great results. I was considering getting my eyes done, too.

Also, if it's only been around for a decade or so , how do we know about possible side effects down the road? It's not a necessity and glasses aren't a hassle so I don't really see the point.

GOOD POINT and that is the only thing that would stop me. ALL of my friends got it and they love it and have no problems, even the ones who use to wear those thick ass glasses but its the down the road thing that would worry me if I needed it, but I dont.

I've been wearing glasses for 20 years - I'm severely short-sighted - and at one point (5-6 years ago or so) I seriously contemplated surgery. I was practicing sports on a regular basis and, well, I guess I just wanted to score wimmen :tickled:

Nowadays I fail to see the nuisance with glasses. I even seldom wear lenses anymore. So even if reliable studies tell me that drawback ratio is close to zero, the laser isn't an option anymore. Maybe that will change.

jimbobhickville said:
wtf? when my mom had it done something about 6 years ago, it was like $1500 per eye. I've seen it as cheap as $400 per eye lately, but I'm not sure I trust the cheap places. The expensive places are still under $1000 per eye. I didn't realize that medical procedure costs were so vastly different in different locations. Anyhoo, of the 2 people I've known who had it done, both have had great results. I was considering getting my eyes done, too.

The places around NYC that do it (now cheaply) for $1500 or so/eye are the types of places that do for major sports stars from local teams. Tiger Woods had his done here, as an example.

I've been thinking about doing this as well. I get a little nervous thinking I may fall into the 1% error pool <gulp>. A pal of mine had it done and loves it.

For those with health expense plans - that's what I am considering using to pay for mine (the pre-tax health savings deal).

dude.

Lisa-Loeb.jpg

DUDE.

the only thing hotter than me in my glasses are ladies in glasses

edit: if they're ugly to begin with it doesn't count