Ezdrummer 2 double kick mapping problem

Old Man Doom

Dec 9, 2012
oldmandoom.bandcamp.com
I just upgraded to ezdrummer 2 last night and I'm really happy with it, but there is one thing that is pissing me off.

I use the metal machine and metal! expansions, both of which have linked double kicks. When I set up my favorite metal machine kit and replace the kicks with the mark lewis metal! kicks, sometimes the midi doesn't trigger both. I say "sometimes" because on my midi controller only kick 1 triggers, not both; on a few of the Dirk V. extreme midi pack loops (carpet rolls for instance) both trigger. However — more often than not — only kick 1 is triggered.

This presents a problem for me because I bought ez2 with the idea that I would be able to combine kits and not have to worry about mapping, etc. But that seems not to be the case here, especially with the kicks.

So my question is the following: Is this something I can fix/change/re-map? Or am I stuck with this issue? Or should take this up with the toontrack guys?

Thanks

For Metal Machine, at least, when you go to choose a kick drum you get two identical sets labelled Kick 1 and Kick 2. If you set your kicks to the same drum, but with one from the Kick 1 set and one from Kick 2, all three notes mapped to Kick will trigger a kick hit, alternating between the drums. If you choose both from Kick 1, say, it will only play Kick Left notes on the one and Kick Right notes on the other. Short of choosing "None" for the second kick, I can't come up with any combination where one of the notes doesn't trigger anything.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just metal machine by itself works fine — both kicks trigger. However, when I replace kick 1 and 2 with kicks from the Metal! expansion, kick 1 only ever triggers, no matter what you do with kick 2. It's as if by changing the kicks to a different expansion, you revert to a single kick kit. Does that make sense?

I just don't know what to do now. I guess I could just run two instances of EZD like before with kicks on one and shells/cymbals/room on the other, but it defeats the whole purpose of the interchangeable samples. I posted in the toontrack support forum but I have yet to get a response.

If you're using the same drum for both kicks, you could use a MIDI map before EZD to send all of your kick notes to Kick 1, perhaps.