F#-5150-Slate

allplaydead

Nov 6, 2009
This is a test mix before we record some vocals for my band's new album, just wanted some opinions on everything.

Guitars are TS-5150-OS Mesa-57. Drums are all slate but the cymbals are from sturgis:D

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
was not pleasant to listen to, the guitars feel very weird somehow, maybe a bit to overpowering and undefined, just feels like a bloombloombloom noise instead of a guitar, no good rhytm in the riff either to much repeating, maby its the deathcore genre that should be like this? then i hate the genre ^^

Guitars defiantly need some air in them. Tone is there but you need to bring up some of the high mids or highs. The sound like they are choking almost due to the lack of highs. Overall the mix sounds really good. If you do bring the highs or high mids up remember to bring the level down to compensate for the volume you just added.

Thanks for the critiques guys, I slightly lowered the guitars and eqed in some air. Pretty pleased with the results:D
Updated link as well.

This sounds phenomenal to me other than a bit of EQing. How did you integrate Joey's cymbals? I was thinking about purchasing a set.

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

The cymbals required a little bit of ingenuity seeing as I don't have kontakt 4 and the midi feature in drumagog doesn't work. I had to make the MIDI note of each separate track into a MIDI kick and use a kick soundfont to trigger the samples in drumagog. Best way I could think of doing it :rolleyes:

Yeah, I had updated the mix with much more presence in guitars.

Psyched to record vox with my new incoming sm7b:)

Well guitars that low aren't that easy to sound good. Imo they could be a bit more agressive, but they're already quite cool! Like the song.