F*cking doctors!

Internet/wiki FTW, it took my doctor 8 years to diagnose my colitis, and me only a few mouseclicks once I started to see the pattern. The doctor claiming I had 'too much stress in my dayjob' and stuff like that, turned out me quitting smoking flamed up the colitis, a well-known fact. So now I started smoking again and most of my trouble is gone. I'm actually looking forward to lungcancer, dying a couple of years sooner from a morphine OD doesn't compare with every day in intestinal agony. :heh:

Ok, I just quit smoking too... anything else I should be aware of?

There are advantages and disadvantages to both systems in my opinion. I'm sure the care is better for certain people in certain parts of the world as well. While I do think there should be some affordable solution in our country for business owners or those not receiving care through their employer, I would not want a completely socialized medical plan in this country. I like having my privatized plan.

We'll see how Baracka's plan works out...lol. Little Mortal Kombat reference there...hehe. Anyyyyyway...

Since it seems to be the time of telling gross stories:

When I was 17, I worked at a Deli literally a one minute walk from my house. It was great. Under the table pay, free food whenever the hell I wanted, and a cool ass boss that loved old thrash metal.

Anyway, I was shredding some lettuce on the deli slicer one day for an Italian sub. Our slicer cut very well, but was old and the safety worked like shit. We never used it. I had been using the thing for over a year before this incident. It just came down to bad luck.

Anywhooo, here I am slicing along when it happens. Ziiiiinnnnng, sliced a good chunk of the pad of my right middle finger off - it was a good chunk of flesh that just laid on the slicer tray. I had a nice diagonal flat wound with blood pouring out everywhere. Luckily, I was preparing a sandwich for my father at the time, so I didn't drive away any customers, haha.

I get the to hospital and they do a skin graft. I had a nice size piece of skin taken from my lower palm and sewn in place. The surgeon did a fantastic job too. It still feels a bit weird when I press on it, from nerve damage. Well, at least I didn't cut bone!

Probably the most painful experience of my life...:)

-Joe

Edit: I forgot an important detail. The surgeon gave me the Novicaine shots between my fingers! What a sadist, haha.

My friend did the same exact fuckin thing with a slicer at my old job.

He's a marine now and he says if you want to make him cry, touch his finger.

Well, I'm a medicine student, so I really disagree with you in this about medics not knowing what they do, but anyways, I've had some bad experiences with them, like going to the doctor cuz of a bad cold and the doctor sent me home with prescription for Lorazepam (antidepressive benzodiazepine...) of course i didn't take.

You know, medical insurance is not that expensive (maybe in Swede it is...) but worth the extra bucks.

Im not saying medics dont know what they are doing, im saying that our local medics dont know what they are doing. ;)

Medical insurance is pretty much useless in Sweden, since the medical care is so cheap, its still better to pay out of your pocket.

BTW: that irritation > bacterian infection > fungal infecion seems really fucked up man, never heard about anything similar... Take care man ;)

Well, i got an irritation, that probably was a "pre-stage" to the bacterial infection, then i got these drops to put in my ears for 10 days.
These drops stayed liquid in my ear passage for such a long time that it caused fungus. :erk:

Yes, it's terrifying to go through life without ever paying for medical treatment. Having my knee 'scoped back in 2004 for the low low cost of absolutely nothing was one of the most horrifying experiences of my life.

You guys are lucky!
We have to pay for most treatments here in Sweden, even if the tax pressure is at about 50%.

But i shouldn't complain, no matter what you are checking up its about 20$(Free until you are 18, 20 in my case since im from a babyboom.), and the medicine isn't really that expensive either.

.. And i agree with you, id rather have socialized medicine then have to choose what body parts to keep after being involved in an accident! ;)
(All serious injuries are treated without costs.)