Fairly new to the Prog Metal....

KROSS

New Metal Member
Apr 1, 2006
I was so far up :Smug: Metallica's arse, I never heard anything about progressive metal.

About 5 months ago, I heard Evergrey and all those other cd's that I had are history. Evergrey, Kamelot, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Jorn, Pagans Mind....etc. have replaced the other garbage I was listening to.

Just wanted to say ROCK ON!!!:kickass:

Oh yeah, and i'll see you at ProgPower!!! Got my 4 tickets in today.

Awesome. I was in your spot about 2.5 years ago. I really thought all metal was just deathly screams. And that Iron Maiden was just a 'cool old band.' Sigh. Then a couple friends got me to listen to some of 'their metal.' Now I listen to almost everything I can find. Like... just now is the first time I've ever listened to Spiral Architect. Made my day. Seriously. Hell today I listened to about 4 metal bands I had never listened to before.

Though I must say... Metallica still isn't a bad band =p

I'm 29, so i've got some catching up to do. Judas Priest, Queensryche I also thought were just cool old bands. I WAS WRONG!! I just got the Queensrche "Art of Live" DVD and it's amazing.

Welcome to real music, and welcome to the festival!

The guy here, Mosquito, introduced me prog/power metal 5-6 years ago, and since then it has become my favorite music. I argue that that power metal is today's classical :)

Check out the band in my sig to add to your new collection

See ya at PP!

KROSS said:
I was so far up :Smug: Metallica's arse, I never heard anything about progressive metal.

About 5 months ago, I heard Evergrey and all those other cd's that I had are history. Evergrey, Kamelot, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Jorn, Pagans Mind....etc. have replaced the other garbage I was listening to.

Just wanted to say ROCK ON!!!:kickass:

Oh yeah, and i'll see you at ProgPower!!! Got my 4 tickets in today.
Cool! Welcome aboard then! I grew up on Metallica from the very early days of Kill 'em All so they still have a special place in my heart (at least the older stuff). But I am absolutely a prog nut now! Dream Theater, Symphony X, Evergrey, Enchant, Spiral Architect, Pain of Salvation, Zero Hour, Fates Warning, Rush, and many, many more are among my favorites! I also love groups like Pyramaze, Tad Morose, Brainstorm, Jorn and all his bands, Symphorce, etc... that are more leaning towards power metal but still have many proggy elements.

I'm glad ot see you don't fool around! From fan right to ProgPower is an AWESOME move! It is a great festival and you will not only love it, but it will hook you for life into the music, the festival, and the whole scene in general!

What part of the country do you live in?

Congrats on moving on. I say it's a phase people have to go through, when you think Metallica and/or Guns and Roses are the greatest bands ever. This phase lasts anything from five minutes to a quarter of a century. But like every phase, you have to move on. It's unfortunate some do not, and end up mistaking Nightwish for Metallica S&M.:zombie:

Prog Power will certainly prove an enlightening experience for you.:kickass:

Troy the nomad said:
Hey KROSS, where at in New Orleans? I'm from St. Bernard.
Katrina-ed to Destin Fl.

Actually, Jefferson Parish....River Ridge. It's just easier to say New Orleans. I did live in the Garden District for a little while though. I moved to Florida about 6 years ago and planned on going back to N.O., but I got married had a kid, blah blah blah....

KROSS said:
Actually, Jefferson Parish....River Ridge. It's just easier to say New Orleans. I did live in the Garden District for a little while though. I moved to Florida about 6 years ago and planned on going back to N.O., but I got married had a kid, blah blah blah....

Cool, have family by John Curtis.
btw - you should check out Pain of Salvation(but not BE)

KROSS said:

I have family in the Gretna/Belle Chase area. My mother was born and raised there. I think that's in Jefferson Parish. I haven't been often enough as an adult to really get the layout. I still get east bank/west bank confused.
Anyway, this will be my first progpower as well so hope to see you there.

I'll be frank. I am no better than anyone else here, so I am not saying my word/suggestions are the gospel but pre-order the new Vanden Plas "Christ0." This thing might end up being my favorite disc of all-time. I don't have high enough praise for it. It's absolutely a masterpiece. The only thing is.....you have to be able to enjoy really melodic stuff. There is plenty of heavy moments on there, but a good bit of the release contains songs that build up from a very soft approach with acoustic piano etc.

Bryant