Faith No More - Angel Dust 2008 remaster

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
OK, here is a story for you guys. A friend of mine told me that he just found a 2008 remastered version of Faith No More - Angel Dust Album. I was pretty sceptic about this and thought it was just that someone had slammed a L2 to the the 1992 remasted version, which is mastered as a pretty fucking dynamic album. But no! This is what was in there:

fnm_remaster.png

This got me interested and the description said that the CD was remastered by "MFSL" and after quick googling I found this wiki-link, and I went to their website and found the album: $29.99, not bad! I decided that "hell, I'll order that!", I went in and registered and then it showed, ok, the order is $29.99, but (as some of you may already know); I live in Finland. And Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs is in Chigago. Shipping costs...

UPS Worldwide Expedited $187.71

it IS quieter ... it sounds fucking killer though

Not too much is different ... there are some small things that pop out a little cleaner than on the original, mostly stuff that you always knew was there but couldn't really hear, its just slightly more pronounced now. Drums & bass are just a little more punchy but seriously unless you are a massive FNM fan (I am) I don't know that the difference in sound is worth the $30

I didn't know Patton was that broke....maybe Jim Martin is? :D I smell cash.

Nothing wrong with the original. A great album.

I seriously doubt Patton is anywhere close to having financial problems of any kind ... or Martin for that matter

aside from the multiple musical endeavors he's part of, he also has been getting some good work doing voice overs for lots of projects including video games (The Darkness ... I think thats the name of the one game) and also movies (did some of the monster voices and such for the "vampires" in the movie "I Am Legend")

Like Jesse said above, its probably a label thing

if Patton and Martin were trying to milk a few bucks out of the FNM name, they would do a reunion album and tour. Patton has already turned down several attempts from several labels and promotors to make this happen

UPS Worldwide Expedited $187.71

Was that the total on your bill? :zombie:

Goat knows it's one of the best musical offerings brought to mankind, but sweet zombie-jeebus $187.71...

As good as the production is, I always had some problems with the guitar sound. Lacks "body" IMHO...

"King For A Day..." is their best sounding effort (production wise) for me.

See if they ship USPS.... it's the way to go for international shipping from the US.

As for FNM: I wonder if Patton had something to do with the mellower re-master: If you've ever heard Peeping Tom, his new band, the mixes are absolutely stunning. That & they're highly dynamic. Frankly I was shocked that it was a modern disc it was so quiet.

Great album, and while I am against track slamming, I also see no reason to remaster this one even quieter - it's taking it too far IMO. I always have to crank my system up more to listen to this album - I would hate to have to do that even more so than I already do.

Next time I have $30 to spend on an album that I already have and that sounds great as it is, I'll pick this up.

Jeff

haha. Seriously.
This is a Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab product which is a supposed audiophile label hence the more dynamic sound. If this was an SACD hybrid disc I would maybe consider it but you would be hard pressed to convince me of the superiority of gold CDs....particularly at three times the price I paid in 1992.

I have some other MFSL stuff and it's pretty good, but... you know, I'd pay $20 if there were a couple of other toys involved (like Patton in the studio!) but $30 is more than I can handle right now.

Jeff

Nope, just the shipping. I didn't order it, I don't think any album is worth $219,70

Nope, its more dynamic; the peaks are at 0dbFS.

I meant overall ... I went home and compared the original to the remaster, left the volume exactly the same ... remaster is overall quieter, or at least sounds a little quieter, aside from the peaks which again, is where the more punchy drum & bass etc.. comes into play

I meant overall ... I went home and compared the original to the remaster, left the volume exactly the same ... remaster is overall quieter, or at least sounds a little quieter, aside from the peaks which again, is where the more punchy drum & bass etc.. comes into play

You are not thinking of the most important factor, the replay gain. I want to decide how loud I want to listen to my albums and if it sounds too loud to me, I turn the volume up or down to my taste. The fact how does it sound when the average listening volume is the same makes the difference, especially on the drums. We have already seen this on the numerous loudness war videos. Here is one more for you. First 30 seconds clip from the 1992 version and then 30 seconds from the 2008 version. If you listen closely with a bit of volume behind your speakers, you can quite easily notice that the snarehits right at the beginning of the song aren't as squished.

http://www.ahjteam.com/upload/fnm_remaster.mp3 (~1.5mb)

dude you're getting a little too into the audiophile end of it ... all I was saying is that it sounds great. Like I said above a couple times, its not too much different than the original, the drums pop out a little more, certain parts of the mix that were maybe just a little too subtle are now slightly more noticeable. If you're a huge FNM fan it might be worth checking it out, otherwise save the money. I don't think they did anything to degrade the quality in any way, overall it sounds like a slightly punchier version ... slightly

It sounds fine at home, it sounds great in the car, it sounds good on the pc speakers. To me, thats all I need to know

Not really disagreeing with you here, just saying I don't feel anything drastic was done to it by remastering