Mar 1, 2004
photo.php

To those who don't get Falconer...

Sorry about your twisted panties, bro!

Sorry, I should have quoted my source.

UNRESTRAINED magazine
Issue #19
June/July 2002

I haven't formed much of an opinion on Falconer myself. I know they are going to get a reaction similar to Rage. 50% are going to be into it. 20% will give it a chance and end up at the bar. The other 30% are going to avoid the foot traffic by leaving early.

I'll probably fall into the 20% that give it a chance, but most likely will be back at the party early

I just think the comments on the FB page are hilarious. "Waahhh, I don't like Anathema and Falconer! Abloo-bloo-bloo!"

Is that anything like...."Waaahhhh, he doesn't worship the same cock that I worship! A boooHoooHoooo!" Because that's basically what I'm hearing here :fu:

Ah yes, because I think his opinion is hilarious and whiny, I'm clearly feeling the EXACT SAME THING. lulz

I am now applying my original comment to you: Untwist your panties, bro! Don't make me start calling you "TwizstedPanties" :lol:

Also, I don't even like Anathema, I'm kind of bummed I can't go to bed early on Friday night. Well I mean I COULD, but then I wouldn't see the men whose cocks I worship.

Good lyrics, musicians, vocals. What's not to like? Falconer kicks ass.

Honestly, I can handle a few of the songs.

Halls & Chambers, The Clarion Call; both solid songs that I hope to see live.

My problem is that the vox are all so same'ey. There are a million bands out there that could be utterly mindblowing if not for the weak vocals.

I swear, I've listened to each cd at least 3 or 4 times, just trying to find a handful of things I can appreciate. I have found 2, there are a few others that I don't reject instantly. I've made strides because, its ProgPower for fucks sake! There's still a week. I did make a iPod playlist of their recent setlists.so I am at least familiar.

I'm giving them a fighters chance, because it is their last gig and it may kick my ass moreso than I expected. Unfortunately Anathema just doesn't float my boat...at all.

Unfortunately Anathema just doesn't float my boat...at all.

I'm with you on this one my metal brother. I've listened to Anathema and its not floating my boat either.

Falconer though, I do like. I know many will disagree with this, but Mathias Blad's vocals sort of remind me of Ian Anderson's. Perhaps its not the vocals so much but the overall theme of the band in some respects. Interestingly I think Falconer is a lot better than Tull ever was, again not that they are anything alike. I know that makes no sense. :D

My problem is that the vox are all so same'ey. There are a million bands out there that could be utterly mindblowing if not for the weak vocals.

In my mind samey != weak. For example, I find Ascendia's vocalist pretty samey. He's excellent at what he does, but IMO there isn't a lot of variety in his delivery.

I can kinda see someone saying that about Blad. But, I wouldn't call his vocals weak. He's a very strong singer. You might not like his style of singing, but he's very good at it.

In my mind samey != weak. For example, I find Ascendia's vocalist pretty samey. He's excellent at what he does, but IMO there isn't a lot of variety in his delivery.

I can kinda see someone saying that about Blad. But, I wouldn't call his vocals weak. He's a very strong singer. You might not like his style of singing, but he's very good at it.

I agree about Ascendia, but their music is more aimed towards what I listen to than Falconer, so I can listen and enjoy it a bit more. It's kind of like Disturbed, you know what to expect and go from there.

The entire power metal genre got stale sometime in the mid 2000's for me. There was a real dry period for a handful of years where I couldn't give many of these type bands a chance. I've spent more time this year with the bands I was unfamiliar with than in any time in the past. That includes most of Friday's bands following Soto.

Voyager I have been familiar with since their last appearance, but I never truly dug into their discography even though I own all of the stuff. I've found some material that I like to some extent, so I can dig them for what they are.

You've already heard my take on Falconer & Anathema. Not my thing, but Falconer does have a few things that I like. I have listened to every disc at least 2-3 times with the exception of "Armod" which I can't handle lol. Anathema got my money for the live blue-ray they put out. I watched it twice but it doesn't really hold my interest...same with the last 2 discs.

I'm going into this well rehearsed of the bands material, I am familiar with recent set lists and I kinda know where to pick my spots where things might get interesting. I'll linger around taking photo's of the bands at other times, just to keep me immersed in all that is ProgPower

I say the same about Anathema. :wave:

Well you're obviously not alone here judging by the Anathema thread that was active here for a long long time. Thats the great thing about ProgPower. There is something for everyone, and it seems more often than not most everything is for everyone.

I'm really looking forward to your lineup announcement for next year. Any hints? :devil:
Didn't think so but I had to ask. Its like Christmas for us with no peeking under the tree.