Falconer - Northwind

tsorl

Borne on Wings of Steel
Aug 3, 2003
Finland
www.ollischroderus.fi
I thought I'd post a little summary about the new Falconer album, Northwind, coming up on the 22nd of September and of course featuring the godly vocals of Matthias Blad! Hopefully it's a return to form after two rather disappointing offerings... at least the cover art is awesome. Looks like there's lots of those Swedish folk songs which IMO were very cool with Blad singing on the first two. Who knew that even Swedish could actually sound good? :lol:

covernorthwind.jpg

"Northwind" will be released as a limited first edition featuring a bonus CD containing four Swedish folk songs and a video documentary of the album recordings.

"Northwind" track listing:

01. Northwind
02. Waltz with the Dead
03. Spirit of the Hawk
04. Legend and the Lore
05. Catch the Shadows
06. Tower of the Queen
07. Long Gone By
08. Perjury and Sanctity
09. Fairyland Fanfare
10. Himmel Så Trind
11. Blinded
12. Delusion
13. Home of the Knave
14. Black Tarn (instr)
15. Child of the Wild 2006 (Japan bonus)

Bonus CD:

01. Kristallen Den Fina
02. Ridom Ridom
03. Liten Vätte
04. Vårvindar Friska
+ video documentary of the recording

"Northwind" will be released on September 22 (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) and September 25 (the rest of Europe) via Metal Blade Records.

This one is definitely on my MUST HAVE list. When they announced that Blads was returning, I threw up my arms and cheered. Unlike tsorl, I enjoyed the past two albums, especially Sceptre of Deception, but they didn't come anywhere close to the first two Falconers.

THREE CHEERS FOR THE RETURN OF MATTHIAS! :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Astounding post. It has been as a rumour in my wishlist so thanks a lot for the info, the best cover from them (I'm not counting non-Blad albums), absolutely :loco: waiting for it.

NP: Jorn - 'Duke Of Love'

EVERLOSTINDEADETERNITY said:
I cant wait, i havent bought a falconer album since their debut. I cant wait for this.

You have to get "Chapters For A Vale Forlorn", trust me you won't regret it.

NP: Dream Theater - 'Sacrificed Sons'

Wyvern said:

Okay Ill giv it a shot ,but Ive heard Spectre and hated it. Ill take your word. If not I will come back and find you * shakes fist wildly*

Dear God...and people call the new Maiden cover GREAT?!? I mean - just look at Falconer's for their new outing, astounding! Now THAT's what I call an impressive cover... :worship:
I seriously hope Blad's unique vocals will improve the quality of the new release, I too don't care too much for the last two albums of theirs...

EVERLOSTINDEADETERNITY said:
Wyvern said:

Okay Ill giv it a shot ,but Ive heard Spectre and hated it. Ill take your word. If not I will come back and find you * shakes fist wildly*

I didn't even bothered with the last two albums. When I heard Blad left the band I couldn't find a reason to follow-up, his vocals are what gives the band a distinctive touch.

NP: Azrael - 'Sentencia'

Here's a "teaser" mp3 of the new album, I think there's clips of about 6 songs put together.
Now, making far-reaching conclusions by this sample would be just stupid, but I'll say this: It sounds right. Sounds like Falconer.:kickass:

Thansk for the link, I will check it as soon as I finish download the Scorps show :D

Well I just downloaded the whole album (promo) so here is the quick review:

'Northwind': the opener starts with the soft voice of Mathias and then explode into pure power metal the way of the first two albums. The song combines speed with mid-tempo and a great medieval melody on the back that absolutely leave you knowign this is Falconer.

'Waltz With The Dead': reminds me of 'We Sold Our Homestead' a very nice folk metal song that also reminds me of Wuthering Heights third album.

'Spirit Of The Hawk': nice fast song intertwined with very melodic work by Mathias vocals

'Legend And The Lore': mid tempo song that doesn't grab you much but retains that flavor that separates Falconer form the other bands.

'Catch The Shadows': typical Falconer song fast and melodic with changes to show the quality of Mathias harmonies.

'Tower Of The Queen': beautiful start by Mathias vocal solo and then a great mid-paced riff which reminds me totally of something out of the first album (maybe a leftover :D)

'Lone Gone By': kind of a ballad if you can call it so, a soft melodic tune that inevitably makes you roll your head to the melody.

'Perjury And Sanctity': another fast tune also with the classic changes of the band in pace that make their signature acompassed by Mathias vocals.

'Fairyland Fanfare': despite the name this is not something out of Freedom Call or Forgotten Tales, no flowery stuff here, melodic yes but never kitsch.

'Himmel sa Trind': these guys probably were listening to Tyr because they came with a song in...beats me (something far north). Of course appealed to me instantly since I'm a fan of Tyr, but the structure is pure Falconer.

'Blinded': more fast paced music in the vein of the other tunes of the album of the same type.

'Delusion' and 'Home Of The Knave': are very similar mid-tempo songs with the classic signature of the band.

'Black Tarn': a short outro

In summary this will not beat the first two albums but undoubtedly follows in their steps and if you skip the 3rd and 4th this will fit perfectly in the collection.

NP: Highland Glory - 'Edge Of Time'

This deserves a bump to the top because Northwind should be out by now. :kickass:

Here's the titletrack (very good stuff) and I guess the entire album is all over Soulseek etc if you wish to prelisten.

tsorl said:
This deserves a bump to the top because Northwind should be out by now. :kickass:

October 3rd. I'm going to haul it along with Wolf, Tarot and maybe Tyr

Really good album here, boys and girls... make sure you don't miss this one.
Some damn huge choruses and vocal melodies these guys have weaved!

"Your sins are not redeemed
By swearing perjury
Your sense of self esteem
Has miles to go to sanctity"

:kickass::worship:

I'm with tsorl, if you're a fan of early Falconer, this is a must have. The songwriting has matured in the frame of the first two albums, although simplified compared to the last two albums with the other singer. Matthias Blad's style is more suited to a mid-tempo, less "power metal" pacing. Which is fine with me because there's a million power metal bands out there, but only one that plays at such a laid back approach as Falconer does with Matthias.

This not an album to put on when you want to really let the hair fly and bounce around your living room moshing with the lamps and chair cushions. But if you're in the mood to just kick back and groove with some awesome folk melodies, this is your ticket.

Really good, fun music for sure. Best album they've done yet.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
This not an album to put on when you want to really let the hair fly and bounce around your living room moshing with the lamps and chair cushions. But if you're in the mood to just kick back and groove with some awesome folk melodies, this is your ticket.

I agree too even if I hadn't spin it much (the download I'm still waiting for the release this side). But I took the first two Falconer albums to the gym for some cardio and they put you to sweat for sure :D, mid-tempo or not.

Wyvern said:
I agree too even if I hadn't spin it much (the download I'm still waiting for the release this side). But I took the first two Falconer albums to the gym for some cardio and they put you to sweat for sure :D, mid-tempo or not.
I haven't spun it much either. That's why I haven't been raving about it on the boards like I did Wolf, Wuthering Heights, and JOP. It's a really good album, but I'm not in a "Falconer" mood very often. Now, if I worked out in a gym, I might have more occasion to listen to them.

I know if I was FORCED TO work out in a gym, I'd much rather do it to Falconer than something like Dragonforce. :D