Fall of the Idols- The Womb of the Earth review online!

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
http://www.lotfp.com/content.php?reviewid=54

Mixed feelings about this one. Live the band was absolutely mesmerizing, but the attempted interview afterwards has to be my worst interviewing moment ever. I forgot to bring my notes... and we were supposed to do follow-up by email, but after transcribing what we had done... it was so embarrassing (and I sounded out of it like I was drunk or something) I just decided to bury the whole thing.

The review itself is a bit odd, the album certainly didn't capture what the band can do like their live sound did, but I'm not entirely comfortable that the words match how I feel. Certainly not now, not even sure about then. And that comparison to Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus should have been better explained instead of being a cheap swipe - I know what I meant and I'd still mean it but there was little thought or effort put into expressing that.

I’ve discovered a trick to enjoying a new doom album. Never sit down and read the booklet along to the album if the tempo isn’t very fast. It becomes impossible to accept the album at its own pace as you will be always waiting for them to get around to the next line of lyrics.

I read lyrics before listening, I listen without reading, then I listen while reading, and then finally I read the lyrics again without the music playing. I've found this makes me come to terms with the pace of the music and the cues of where the vocals come in and where the instrumental passages are doing the storytelling.