Fan reviews

koelling

APT Keyboardist
Dec 27, 2007
Thanks to all of you who emailed me or called me with your review. We have no idea if people like it if they don't say anything, and we take honest criticism with an open mind as well. So far we've heard very few negative things, and those we have actually mirror our own opinions - which we accept with understanding considering we lost everything and re-recorded it, mixed it and mastered it in less than 6 months.

The good feed back are things I was really hoping to hear since we really put a lot of love and effort into this project and it has been our baby for five years. We'll never be completely 100% happy with a release because there is always something we missed....but this disc is something we are very proud of and want our faithfuls to really enjoy. Thanks again!

Wow, wtf, 15 views and not a peep? C'mon people, let's hear what you have to say, be it good or bad. If you liked it, say so..if you found something wrong with it, say so..they can't fix it if they don't know it's broken, after all. Either way, don't be afraid to speak your minds.

As for me, I think this is a damn strong cd & displays a huge amount of maturity and progress since Diary. It's been stuck in either my car cd player or my computer cd player since I got it & a day doesn't pass without me hearing at least some of it, which I think is pretty good testament to its quality.

Okay, your turn..let's hear it! :)

I don't really pride myself at being a good reviewer/critic. I've only listened to the disc through a total of one time. There are specific songs I've played a number of times though. It isn't that the CD doesn't appeal to me, it's just that I've been consumed by so much since receiving my copy last weekend that I haven't had time to sit and give it an entire run through with an ear directly for it.

One thing I will voice aside from really enjoying the music is that I wish the drums were a bit higher in the mix. Maybe that's based on the perspective of being a drummer myself. I can hear Todd and pick up all he's doing, but it seems slightly overshadowed by the other instruments at times. I certainly hope you guys don't develop any illwill at my saying this. This nitpicking does not take away from the magic that you've created.

Since this is really the first CD I've heard from the group I really have nothing to compare it to. I just enjoy the heck out of it!

One thing I will voice aside from really enjoying the music is that I wish the drums were a bit higher in the mix. I certainly hope you guys don't develop any illwill at my saying this. This nitpicking does not take away from the magic that you've created.

No ill will here. After releasing it, we too noticed things that we wished we would have caught before going to print. It's bound to happen.

SRS

Yeah, the drums were actually my biggest "wish I could mix over" feeling. Todd did such an outstanding job and, listening through our DS-90's and even through the phones we were really happy with them. Trent Gardner of Magellan gave me some advice a few years back that I could have taken to heart and avoided some of these problems. He told me "Just when you think you have the perfect mix, listen to it through the worst speakers you can and you'll hear things in the drums that you didn't before". The total volume does not bother me as much as the snare/kick combo just not representing Todd's performance the way it could have.

When we finish the next CD we'll be remixing this one and I guarantee you my experience will make a difference.

I always leave the studio and listen to mix downs on a car system , or hang upside down and blind folded. It's a bit of a non bias way to hear it. As for drums , CRANK EM UP :headbang: !!!!!!!!! Actualy it should be the first thig you dial in to build the proper foundation , Drums , Vocals , bass , guitars then keys and other things , just my opinion , :Smokin:also with iPODS and computers etc.. its hard to go completely non compressed anymore

Having been around Steve and Steve all these years there is NO WAY that they will ever be totally happy with their mix or quality of work! I think it's great from a critical fan standpoint but those two are very hard on themselves no matter how good it is.
The next one will be great like this one, I am sure, but anyone who wants to pony up the several thousands of dollars to get big studio time, by all means SEND THE CHECK! But I still can't believe what they got out of the studio they have. Quite a feat of musical aptitude, is you ask me.
But you have to start with some pretty big talent anyway and they have it!:Smokin:

I wouldn't change a single note. Of course they would, and have changed many after I have said that, so what the HELL does my opinion matter anyway?
BUT:
A couple of things I would like to say, since I have been out of the loop.
Opening the actual CD was like opening a Christmas gift. I have heard the music in it's entirety many many times, but this was the actual finished product. I got to listen to it for the first time in a long time and I just relished it. It has been a long long couple of months for me personally, and this was like having an old friend visit.
The case, the booklet! What little treasures are those?! Taking out the disc and seeing that window was just the best! It's such a beautiful painting on the front, and inside, the photos are spectacular.
On a personal note, thank you to the Steves for such nice things said about yours truly.
:worship:

On a personal note, thank you to the Steves for such nice things said about yours truly.
:worship:

You put up with a lot during the making of this record. You needed to be mentioned. Thank you Jill.

I'm very sorry for the last couple of months you had to endure. And, I'm sorry too, for your loss. Best wishes to you and your family.

SRS