The Long Road

koelling

APT Keyboardist
Dec 27, 2007
and what a road it's been. Steve Sorrell and I have been doing this thing (we call it playing music together) for over a decade. There have been ups and downs, time off and time where we were constantly writing/recording/playing. The personal drama that has always been there follows anyone who does this for a hobby all the while trying to be a dad (to kids or cats), husband and work a full time job to support the "real life". During these twelve years, we have only gotten older. Ahem. Yeah. That whole "age factor" makes it difficult to want to keep doing this. The dream becomes smaller. Our patience becomes weaker. But somehow the two of us seem to grow stronger during these times. We feed off each other. We support each other. We simply never give up. Our life blood channels through a heart that "is" music. We breath it, bleed it, live it....every day. And no outside obstacles or influences can drain it from us.

Recently the personal woes the two of us have been experiencing cover just about every topic: they have tapped into both physical and emotional, life and death, family and relationships. Yet here we stand...stronger than ever. How? I have no idea. It just seems to be what we do best. The talks of our next project have been frequent and filled with enthusiasm. The talks of playing live have resurfaced (thanks to our newest rock, Aaron Prien) and rehearsals are back on the agenda. The talks of where our style and sound are headed are more exciting than anything we have tackled yet. Although we have been kicked down and forced to face the...well...for lack of a better word..."music"....we are in a good place musically.

Does that mean a new Cd this year? No. Possibly, I guess.

Does this mean live shows in the next few months? No. But I would hope probably.

But does this mean that the Sorrell/Koelling project is still moving forward? yes. Absolutely. With no promises to anyone but us. We are finally going to do what we want to do. Go where we want to go. We hope that our faithfuls will follow us. Support us. Believe in us. But this time, it is our belief in ourselves that drives us.

Cheers to a New year and to my partner in crime - the most talented musician and faithful friend anyone could ask for.