The return of "Esucarys"

koelling

APT Keyboardist
Dec 27, 2007
Isn't it funny how things always go back their roots? Sorrell and I have always been working on side projects and we knew that everything we write won't always fit into the "Prelude to Tragedy" format. Because we both believe that the "new" band is headed in a direction that has more of a harder edge and falls under the "progressive metal" genre, we had a talk yesterday about an idea that will allow us to broaden our musical creativity.

The new CD we are getting ready to work on will be "Shadows of the Past" part two. Because of the storyline, it will be even darker and more "metal" than the last one. And, it will wrap up the current concept. That may indeed be it for "concepts" for APT. There's a possibility that "Scarred by Art" (a storyline that I have had finished for years) will still be the next musical adventure for the band, but it could also go under the name "Project Esucarys". I have far too many progressive rock style songs (that definitely sound more like the old version of the band than the new stuff) to let get washed away, and Todd (our drummer) and I have been kicking around the idea of writing material for a side project. When Sorrell not only showed interest yesterday, but said "I want in", the idea was solidified. What's this? The same musicians in two different bands? Not quite, LOL. But it is starting to look like Dream Theater and Liquid Tension (same drummer, keyboardist and guitarist).

Since most people in here are familiar with the direction of APT, here's my idea for Project Esucarys: The main three musicians will be Sorrell, Todd and myself, with Aaron (our live extra musician for APT) as a possible official member of the band contributing in the writing as well as playing rhythm guitar and extra keyboards. But, much like the Alan Parsons line up, the vocal duties are going to be divided up, and I plan to have one or two guest vocals every release. The bass parts are going to be toned down a bit, which may open the door for a recent former member of the band to be a fixture in this band. We will also encourage "guest" musicians from other bands to be part of this (exampl: Scott Joss, from the Dwight Yokam band played violin on our first CD).

Is all of this set in stone? No. At least not the other musicians. But the songs that do not fit into the APT style WILL become part of this new project. I can't even say whether it'll sound like the old stuff, be more neo-progressive or possibly even straight forward rock with a progressive edge. But I know this: the music will determine the sound just like it did on CD #1. Nothing forced, nothing contrived.

So, there it is. For those of you who have told me they really miss the old sound, there's light at the end of the tunnel. Now we'll have the best of both worlds. Look for our music in non record store some time in the next decade. :Smug: :lol: :headbang:

Can you please send me a map so I can keep track of which direction or directions to go , I feel a little lost.How about A Prelude to Esucarys or Shadows of a Project of Esucarys from the Past Diary or maybe Shadows of a Lost Esacarys Soul Project (a concept Funk album) or .....?????? WTF are you talking about????????????????? Record some good tunes have some fun and make a disc , it's not that hard.

For that project, I'm gonna try to play my 6 string guitars exclusively. I always write completely different material on a 6 stringer. To prove that point, Diary of a Lost Soul (Esucarys) was written on a 6 string. Shadows, was written on a 7 string.

My Les Paul, Strat, SG and JEM777 all think I died. It'll be good to let 'em outa their cases.

I'm looking forward to tapping into some of my older influences for this. I'm kinda excited about it. WOO HOO! :headbang:

P.S. Koelling, "Scarred By Art" may be your storyline, but the term is mine. I've had it tattooed on me for almost as long as I've known you. So, I expect royalties! :lol::lol: What's 15% of jack-shit? :lol::lol:

SS

LOL. Yeah, well, since you're still part of this project too, the royalties can be all yours.:loco: I think it still may be a better project for APT, but I'm just sayin', let's let the music determine the outcome. I'm excited too.

WTF are you talking about????????????????? Record some good tunes have some fun and make a disc , it's not that hard.

If it was that fuckin' easy, every ass-hat would be doing it. Even you.

This is a way for us to stay excited and stretch out our creativity. We have a lot to say, musically.

If someone can't keep it straight, they just need to sit down, finish their Coor's Light, watch their bug zapper and listen to Y&T's greatest hits. That would just be easier.

Clearly, we're only doing this for our own entertainment, so we can do whatever strikes our collective fancy.

SS

Y&T was a perfect band for your example Sorrell, because, although there are normal people out there that like them, many Y&T fans are the ones who just can't let go and still think we're in the 80's. I know a ton of them. I still occasionally listen to Black Tiger, Mean Streak, Earthshaker, and In Rock we Trust....but I don't check online every day to see if they are playing locally so I can stand in line and snag me some tix. I know a good dozen people that would do that. They also have bug zappers and drink Coors Light.:ill: :puke: :lol:

I'm worse than them all, I go all the way back to their Yesterday and Today days... Give Me Some "Animal Woman", "Earthshaker" or "Alcohol" anyday, I used to listen to that a lot when I was in High School!

And I don't mind Coors Light if I'm gonna be drinkin all day :lol:

No bug Zapper though... But THEY"RE COOL!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

The point I was trying to make was that with ALL the different musicians that have played on the first two C.D.s And the fact that most of us probably could not tell the difference between a
" Esucarys" or a " A Prelude to Tragedy" record. Why not take different material you guys write, add musicians you feel fit in best and release a good product of great tunes which we can enjoy under what ever name it is you decide on for the next C.D? I would like more cowbell on the next record though.I think sometimes way to much thought goes into recording and song writing , some of the best songs where writin in 5 minutes and recorded in the first take, playing riffs and recording a "jam" would produce some amazing stuff with you guys and the right people together playing.I gotta go shine my new hubcaps on my trailer , go to 7/11 buy some "curs" and get a one of dem Zapper thing ma boppers, they don't use a lot of elecrtricity do they?

I was really tryin to figure out the relationship between Y&T and bug zappers and I realized it's pretty simple: Yesterday there were bugs....tomorrow there are no bugs. Pretty intelligent of me, huh?

And the fact that most of us probably could not tell the difference between a " Esucarys" or a " A Prelude to Tragedy" record.

That's just tragic. Those people would see no difference between "Hemispheres" and "Power Windows" either. Oh yeah, there's no difference between Operation Mindcrime 1 and 2 either, right?

There was 7 hard years of difference between Esucarys and A Prelude To Tragedy. We can tell the difference. Period.

Why not take different material you guys write, add musicians you feel fit in best and release a good product of great tunes which we can enjoy under what ever name it is you decide on for the next C.D?

WOW! Great idea! We had never thought of that before! We're so used to releasing SHIT that no one will ever enjoy, that we had never even considered releasing a record of GOOD material. GENIUS!!!

I think sometimes way to much thought goes into recording and song writing , some of the best songs where writin in 5 minutes and recorded in the first take, playing riffs and recording a "jam" would produce some amazing stuff with you guys and the right people together playing.

Here's the thing. We're not a fucking jam band. Never will be. We take pride in meticulously crafting our music. We make music that impresses and entertains us. Apparently some folks can actually listen to shit like Pellican and The Grateful Dead. I'm not one of those. I require more of my music.

I'm sorry, but rapidly produced shit, is still SHIT!

I get what you're saying. I just think you're preaching to the wrong group of musicians. That's not who we are. We have the right to do whatever the hell we want to do, and call it whatever the hell we want to call it. We're payin' the tab.

We can't dumb-down our music for the 3-chord jam-band crowd. Besides, patchouli and pot smoke make me ill. If someone can't keep up with our dumb-asses, they need serious help.

Some people are satisfied just listening to the same music they did in High School and never experiencing anything new. Ya know; reliving the "glory days". That's why I mentioned Y&T. I would have said and AC/DC, but I just love them too much to dog 'em.

P.S. I'm being as nice as I can be.

SS