Fancy a Mastering challenge?

Descent

Apr 30, 2006
Middlesex, England
Just finishing off mix of my bands album and was wondering if some of u fine folk fancy having a go at mastering a track?
We have a masterer in mind to do the album but if we like one of the masters u guys do then we will get u to master the album instead (if u are up for it).

I had a go at a real quick mickey mouse master myself which u can find here:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=2507C07A52F68859
(just a little eq, L1 limiter and L2 maximizer)

The unmastered track is here:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=F6A5947D2F1A2B5D

I uploaded it as a wav file (16bit), i hope that's ok?

I've heard some really cool mixes, masters etc that u guys have done before so i'm looking forward to seeing what u can do with this track.

Cheers
Ross (Descent)

That's the cda file which is only 44k. Please upload the wave.

I would like to take a shot at it.

the mastered versions actually sound very good! I like Splatt88s morer coz it got more 'punch'...
what is used for recording and mastering?

Thanks Splat...Enjoyed yours as well...We're pretty close to the same...Sounds like you used a cut around 250 maybe..??..Good call if you did, cleaned up the low end a little....I shoulda done that....

To answer your question....I didn't really use a limiter...

Chain was:
Waves LinEQ
Waves C1 SC
Waves LinMB
SIR Convolution
PSP Vintage Warmer

btw...Anybody know of a good band widener plugin..??..Similar to the one in Ozone...I can't seem to find one...

LiveWire said:
Thanks Splat...Enjoyed yours as well...We're pretty close to the same...Sounds like you used a cut around 250 maybe..??..Good call if you did, cleaned up the low end a little....I shoulda done that....

To answer your question....I didn't really use a limiter...

Chain was:
Waves LinEQ
Waves C1 SC
Waves LinMB
SIR Convolution
PSP Vintage Warmer

btw...Anybody know of a good band widener plugin..??..Similar to the one in Ozone...I can't seem to find one...
What impulse did you use??

thanks for the kind words guys, glad u dig the song.
The album is actually my first ever tracking/mixing as i just got my pro tools rig (a little over a year ago) so we could track the album ourselves.
Didnt actually intend to mix it myself but once i got into pro tools, all the plug ins etc had a play around and picked up tonnes of hints from this forum my rough mixes actually started sounding quite good so i kept going and am quite happy with it now. (and getting very into mixing etc:kickass: )
The guitars were ltd m1000 - ts-9 - peavey xxx (hard left and right)/ 5150 (panned in a bit and queiter) - marshall 1960av (vintage g12's) - 1x sm57
(i know u lot like to know that stuff):cool:
My playing is on the left, our other guitarist tim's on the right fact fans.

I've downloaded your masters but havent had a listen yet, if splatt's mixes are anything to go by (very good) i'm looking forward to hearing his master.

As regards uploading the tracks for u to have a play with mix wise, how would i go about such a thing? lot of big files!
There was no di guitar recorded so u wouldnt have to worry about that felipe;)