fans of cynic

nogs00

still blue
May 9, 2001
nomad
Visit site
goddamn, cynic still blows me away to this day.
and i picked them up about seven years ago,
holy shit. anyway, it would be nice to
get a thread going on about them
since they kick so
much ass.

split around 1995...
some know, some don't
about the new band they have
formed called Aeon Spoke. i would liek
to hear some comments about it.. what style
and if they are any good. i've seached with no avail

same story with THe Way Out, and Portal. shit loads of
projects i know. haven't had the chance to hear
any of these?? i don't know what they play.
does some one have any review
on them either?

greatly appreciated!!

Gordian Knot-self titled:epic prog rock instrumentals with Sean Reinert and Sean Malone (both of Cynic), Ron Jarzombek (watchtower), Trey Gunn (Trey Gunn Band, King Crimson), Glen Snelwar (a newcomer, but great as well) plus appearances by John Myung (Dream Theater)

Aghora-self titled: Sean Reinert+Malone again, in this hard prog rock/metal project. Features Dinishta Rivera on vox...really cool, though not nearly as cool as Gordian KNot

Sean Malone also has a solo album out (hard to find)

i was lucky enough to see 2 guys from Cynic play on the line up for the Death- Human tour and then see Cynic with Cannible Corpse, they had a female doing the death vocals and keyboards.
One of the greatest bands. But don't forget Pestilence! I seen them when Tony Choy played bass for them, he was amazing.

Sean Malone actually gave me a bass lesson or two before. In 96 I went to the Summer Guitar WOrkshop in Conn. and he was a teacher there...

Aghora is just as good as Gordian Knot to me if it wasnt for Santiago...he is an amazing guitar player very skilled and technical but he kept playing nothing but cheese heavy metal style solos with exotic scales granted but heavy metal solos that where too exesive too obsessed with speed and wah...is not even close to the greatness of cynic solos and he could do that i will never understand his solos sound so out of place in aghora for the most time...but well i think aghora is Dead anyway

I saw Cynic play at the Marquee in London years ago. They were supporting someone and I can't for the life of me remember who.. Maybe Dark Angel?

They were great, but the vocalist sounded very effeminate when he spoke between the songs.. Nothing against that type of thing, but it was quite a bizarre contrast from his vocals.

Lee B

Dspite its lineup, I tend to regard Gordian Knot as being a completely different entity, although the Cynic trademarks are still there: insane technicality, moments of extreme intensity contrasted with ones of ethereal beauty, and exotic influence, here especially present in the rhythm tracks.

Originally posted by Lee_B
They were great, but the vocalist sounded very effeminate when he spoke between the songs.. Nothing against that type of thing, but it was quite a bizarre contrast from his vocals.

According to someone in the know I trust to not feed me BS... one of the guitar players, not sure which one, is gay so there might be a reason for the effeminate voice... heh...

... and Roadrunner dropped them like days after finding that out, but it's not known if they were going to be dropped anyway as I heard their sales didn't light the world on fire...

Who did the growl vocals on the Euro tour? In the US it was some woman playing keyboards doing the growls and the robot vocals were done by one of the guitar players, for some reason I'm really not able to tell you what Masvidal and what Gobel did for shit... damn...

I think it is the drummer who is gay. But the reason they got dropped is roadrunner rec. suck a big fat one. I just got word that Gorguts record lable tried to get the rights to the old records but Road Runner wanted $20,000 to $30.000 for them! C'mon! They are never going to re-release them! Punk, Nu Metal sale out Roadrunner can go bankrupt! Screw them. They had some great releases like, Atrocity, Pestilence, Atheist, Malevolent Creation, and Exhorder. And most likely nobody will ever get the chance of hearing some of the best death metal ever released.

Originally posted by Tribal
Punk, Nu Metal sale out Roadrunner can go bankrupt! Screw them. They had some great releases like, Atrocity, Pestilence, Atheist, Malevolent Creation, and Exhorder. And most likely nobody will ever get the chance of hearing some of the best death metal ever released.

Call Roadrunner a sellout, but without that attitude, they never would have had their death metal roster. RR has ALWAYS, ALWAYS followed only the more popular metal trends, dumping near their entire rosters before moving ahead with the new stuff...

Originally posted by Tribal
i was lucky enough to see 2 guys from Cynic play on the line up for the Death- Human tour and then see Cynic with Cannible Corpse, they had a female doing the death vocals and keyboards.
One of the greatest bands. But don't forget Pestilence! I seen them when Tony Choy played bass for them, he was amazing.

Oh yes. I saw Cynic with cannibal corpse aswell,only I saw them at San Francisco/Berkely square(1994).

That show was spectacular!there performance was excellent.I did not think they were going to pull it off,but they did rather well.And yes there was a female vocalist too playing keyboards.

Well anyway.Great band! Just wish they would form once again with all the original band members and produce one more album.

aeon spoke?! i never heard about that!! do they actually have a cd out or are they just working on one? i love cynic's other side projects, gordian knot is like an entire cd of the atmospheric jazz stuff done on focus. alot of t hat is actually material that had been planned for a second cynic album, but as we all know, that never happened.

anyone hear of atheist getting back together? i've heard rumors all over the place...