FAO; Mastering Engineers

-Noodles-

3 Initals Mixer
Dec 20, 2007
If you're interested in helping me out with a bit of research (for Uni) then could you send me a PM or reply to this topic?

Basically, I'm trying to gather information across varying styles to get what the most widely used pieces of equipment are [as well as techniques and their preferred methods of things like transferring files].

For instance, do most mastering engineers use outboard - or are they fully ITB? What do they prefer to receive - mix bus compression, or without?

[Just to be clear, I'm not asking you to do my work for me - I am asking for your professional opinions on your craft. I will then take all the gathered data and compile it.]

Thanks to those who reply, or are interested.

Basically, I'm trying to gather information across varying styles to get what the most widely used pieces of equipment are

Popular EQs

Cranesong Ibis
Manley Massive Passive
GML 8200
Sontec 250

Popular compressors
API 2500
Alan Smart C2 or any SSL 384 knock off
Cranesong STC8
Manley Vari-Mu
Manley Elop

[as well as techniques and their preferred methods of things like transferring files].

For transferring files you can use a program like Rumpus which pretty much turns your computer into a server. I have 750GB of webspace so I create a unique FTP login for each band with a password protected directory that they can upload to.

Or

Snail mail discs with the audio files burned as data

I accept (prefer) files to be uploaded to me, and I upload "finished" files for approval. BUT I always mail out a DDP disc and Redbook CD because that is what you should be paying for....an error free "pre-master" ready for pressing that has been adjusted by an experienced ear.

For instance, do most mastering engineers use outboard - or are they fully ITB?

More and more "name" MEs are starting to go ITB for recall alone. Most agree that analog can get you to "that sound" quicker, but it can be a pain to recall and get 100% back to where you were initially.

What do they prefer to receive - mix bus compression, or without?

An ME should receive a mix sounding exactly how the artist and producer envisioned the songs to sound (or close as possible to it). Whether or not you compressed the mix buss to get there doesn't matter. The ME isn't there to make your songs sound like how you want them to sound. That is done in the recording and mixing stages. The ME will tweak your songs to make them work together as a cohesive product. Your songs should already sound as close to finished as you can possibly get them before sending them to the ME.

[Just to be clear, I'm not asking you to do my work for me - I am asking for your professional opinions on your craft. I will then take all the gathered data and compile it.]

Thanks to those who reply, or are interested.

Bob Katz book "Mastering Audio" is a gold mine of information that isn't just for an ME. Anyone who works with audio should know that book cover to cover. It'll change how you work....guaranteed.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm doing a mastering course as part of my honours year at uni - and Bob's book is never far from my hand!

I've also been looking up Bob Ludwig interviews to see his opinions on mastering.

I'll read your reply more thoroughly after I post this.

Thank you again!

I'm not after people to master any material - but more answer some questions so I can create a general picture of mastering engineers and their techniques.

Is that something you can help with?