question to James Murphy

fistula

Producer/Mixing Engineer
Jul 18, 2006
can you post any piece of your song mastered and unmastered (not all the song just the piece)

im interested exactly in your mixes - coz your the man):headbang:

This is needed to check can i do mastering or not... should i send my mixes to a super big mastering studio or what i can is enough...

thanks for any reply

(and yes i know that the answer will be yes you should send it to mastering studio)):loco:)

I doubt the sound would change that much if he was mixing and mastering it himself. I would think that he would fix any issues in the mix instead of waiting until mastering.

hex isn't far off the mark... that and i'm swamped with work right now. i don't really think hearing such samples from me would help you too terribly much with the music you are wanting to master.

it wouldn't help me to master or mix anything - it just could show me the difference (between professionally mastered and professionally mixed song)...

I think the main thing as said before is to get a good sound going in when you record and then the rest is cake. I can't confirm this as I am still working on getting a good recording in the first place lol

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but isn't mastering just normalizing all the tracks to match in volume and punch ? It's not this magical moment when someone takes a crappy sounding recording like mine and turns them into super polished works of studio magic.

Andy does do some mastering on some of his projects, IIRC.

And, IMO, a good engineer gets a great mix and the master doesn't do as much to polish the sounds as the great mix itself.

However, I think a great mastering job can help a mix that isn't the best sound MUCH better, if you have to work it that way.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but isn't mastering just normalizing all the tracks to match in volume and punch ? It's not this magical moment when someone takes a crappy sounding recording like mine and turns them into super polished works of studio magic.

There is a lot more to mastering than just matching volume and adding punch, and normalizing has nothing to do with it in any way. Get Bob Katz book, Mastering Audio, and try and give that a read, you'll very quickly find that it is a lot more involved than you think. (and most likely most of the content is way above your head, I know some of it was for me)

Jordan

There is a lot more to mastering than just matching volume and adding punch, and normalizing has nothing to do with it in any way. Get Bob Katz book, Mastering Audio, and try and give that a read, you'll very quickly find that it is a lot more involved than you think. (and most likely most of the content is way above your head, I know some of it was for me)

Jordan

Great book.... Some of the numbers he gets into is nutz.

I've been in a studio before that had a mastering station, you should see some of the crazy expensive gear those guys run everything through.