Fav Old School Bands..

Reigning Glory said:
dudes..

lets not forget Metal Church.....the self-titled is an old school masterpiece....
I loved the writing & vibe on that release.. One of the cornerstones in my metal developemnt, but, the guitar solos were largely anti-melodic and out of key (for instance, listen to "Highway Star" and try not to cringe..). I still listen to the disc, as well as compilations onto which I've put its songs..

Reigning Glory said:
and yeah, Sanctuary also deserve recognition, cuts like Die For My Sins is a classic tune!
*DAMN!* but I'd love to hear these songs, unchanged in arrangement, be re-recorded by Nevermore with the production they had on the "Love Bites" Priest cover.. *VERY* good album with OK production, but deserved better!

Reigning Glory said:
Other favs: Metallica (old), Slayer, Celtic Frost, Forbidden..
Never was much of a fan of Celtic Frost (and I wouldn't have thought Forbidden were old enough to be old school, but that just proves how old I am..)

My additions: Hexx, (Flight of the) Griffin, Chastain, classic Anthrax, Omen, Jag Panzer, BladeRunner, Chateaux, 220 Volt, Wild Dogs, Vicious Rumors.. Eh. Somebody stop me..

Soul_Schizm said:
..I'd like to add another, more obscure choice:

Sword--Metalized.
Oh yyyyyyeah! SWEET DREAMS ain't bad, either.. "Trouble Is.." is a favorite of mine, but for overall album enjoyment, I take METALIZED. Rick Hughes (or was it Dan?) has to be *THE* most underrated throat in metal. But, depending upon what you mean by "didn't see the light of day," I do have the official CD release of this one.. (as well as the GWR import vinyl.. How much would it fetch on eBay?) Or did you just mean noone ever heard it? "Dare to Spit (on my brain)!"

Paxoman said:
Can't believe only one person has mentioned those great N.W.O.B.H.Metallers - SAXON! Still going strong (check out 'Unleash the beast')....
*SHAME ON ME!* Hardly a skippable track on ..BEAST, METALHEAD *or* KILLING GROUND! I saw them on the UNLEASH THE BEAST and METALHEAD tours, and I must concur, these fossils thump in a major way onstage.

ashes of autumn said:
no one mentioned Warning? great french band and way ahead of their time with Warning II in '82.
Sortilege
Brocas Helm
Warlord
Helloween (Kai Hansen Era)
Witchfynde
Overdrive
Nightmare
Picture
Bodine
Satan
Can't believe I forgot these as well, but as for Satan, what about Blitzkrieg, Pariah & Blind Fury?? (all the same core of dudes, pretty much.. Pariah's '97 release is awesome!)

Bodylouseuk said:
ok bands on these lists Ive never heard of......

BrocAs helm
silver mountain
...........any information on these,cheers
Brocas Helm were a three piece (for the first record) that played straight-forward, US metal supreme with a lot of energy and a great "dark ages" vibe. (their debut was one of my first few vinyl purchases of unkown underground metal, and I was never disappointed in it)

Silver Mountain was basically Yngwie's backing band with a different guitarist. Both Anderssons & another dude, plus a guy named Jonas (?) on guitar who was actually a pretty good shredder.

I can't remember if I posted in this one or not:ill: , anyway (1970-1993):

Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Thin Lizzy
Nazareth
Alice Cooper
Judas Priest
Motorhead
Pink Floyd

Iron Maiden (up to 1988)
Saxon
Angel Witch
Satan
Pariah
Bliztkrieg
Jaguar
Avenger
Demon
Tokyo Blade
Tank
Praying Mantis
Witchfinder General
Witchfynde

Hawk
Culprit
Black Knight
Helloween
Yngwie Malmsteen
Manilla Road

Armored Saint
Metal Church
Metallica (up to 1988)
Megadeth
Coroner
Death Angel
Anthrax
Anacrusis
Meliah Rage

Candlemass
Memento Mori
Cathedral

Axe
Tobruk

V8
Hermetica
Baron Rojo
Rata Blanca
Horcas

Sortilege
H-Bomb

Probably I left some out...

Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Trouble
Warlord
Manilla Road
Metal Church
Riot
Armored Saint
Mercyful Fate
King Diamond
Fates Warning (John Arch-era)
Crimson Glory
Queensryche
Celtic Frost
Voivod
Megadeth
Metallica
Slayer
Sepultura
Testament
Anthrax
Forbidden
Heathen

etc...

fav oldschool bands:

Accept
Dio
Van Halen
AC/DC
Scorpions
Fates Warning
Rush
Angel Dust
Queensryche
Metal Church
Metallica
Powermad
Wrathchild America
Slayer
Testament
White Lion
Cinderella
The Heretic
Misha Calvin
Sabbath
Yngwie
Rainbow
Wasp
Pantera
Crue
Anthrax
Armored Saint
Megadeth
Tesla
Heretic
Onslaught

I could name some lesser known bands that I have in my collection, but these are the bands that still get a spin once in a while and a few of them fairly often.

Bryant

The only two I see that has been left out so far is

Leatherwolf - their triple axe attack kicked some serious ass,

and

Y&T (well, up through the Mean Streak release, before they wimped out)

Actually it's maybe easier to name an old-school band I DON'T like. Here's my faves anyway:
Judas Priest
Savatage
Saxon
Tygers Of Pan Tang
Krokus
Giant
WASP
Demon
Y&T
UFO
Honeymoon Suite
Skid Row
Black Sabbath
Nazareth
Rage (UK version)
Wolfsbane
I find a 70,s/80's band has to be really cack not to have at least one song I like . British bands trying to sound like LA glam tend to fall into this category