Favorite Album Per Genre

SonOfNun

Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
Krigloch made a thread like this in GMD but is being a poop about making it here so here we go. Choose one for each genre and add your own:

Doom:
Heavy:
Power:
Thrash:
Death:
Black:
Folk:

Feel free to divide genres (Melodic Death Metal, Progressive Death Metal, etc.)

can't really answer this as it would systematically exclude un-pigeonhole-able albums and creating subcategories is a Pandora' box I don't even want to touch with a 10-ft pole. Like, where would Omnio fit?
Functional tags: pain in the ass since 1968 (afaic).

Reactions: Krilons Resa
can't really answer this as it would systematically exclude un-pigeonhole-able albums and creating subcategories is a Pandora' box I don't even want to touch with a 10-ft pole. Like, where would Omnio fit?
yeah, same

"the red in the sky is ours" is my all time fav death metal album hands down, i'll say as much

after that it gets real tricky-like

Rust in Peace for Thrash. That one is easy.
Melodic DM: Skydancer
Black Metal: Following the Voice of Blood
Power: Into Glory Ride

oh hell, i dont know. its 5am and ive been up all night

Doom: Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
Heavy: Pagan Altar - Volume 1
Power: In Flames - The Jester Race
Thrash: Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
Death: Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick
Black: Ulver - Bergtatt
Folk: Jethro Tull - Aqualung

I may / may not be using the genres correctly.

Hardcore: dayinthelife - s/t
Industrial bm : Fire Walk with Us!
Death doom: Arcane Sun
Kyrgyzstan-ian metal: Darkestrah - Epos

I agree. A better discussion, I think, would be could you distil your collection down to 50 albums? 100? ...and that's all you would be able to enjoy for the rest of your life.

I often think about this, although not as drastically whittled down, and I'm not sure of the amount of albums I would need to be satisfied but it'd be a lot since it would span many genres. However, the thought experiment of 100 or so albums would be torturous fun.

To be honest, i could do 100. It would take me a while but it could be done. A lot more would need to be taken into account than just "man this rocks", but I could do it held at gunpoint

Reactions: Krilons Resa
Doom: Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Heavy: Iron Maiden - 7st Son of a 7th Son
Power: See: Folk
Thrash: Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Death: Tribulation - The Formulas of Death
Black: Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Folk: Dunno what passes as folk but sure as hell no happycrap jollyfolk bullshit

Y'all need to stop philosophizing and just put a name in the damn blank.

Genre: Secular, Christian

Doom Metal: Black Sabbath - Master of Reality (1971), (non-Black Sabbath) Saint Vitus - Born Too Late (1986)
Heavy Metal: Jorn - Out to Every Nation (2004), Saint - Too Late For Living (1988)
Power Metal: Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys, Pt. 1 (1987), Narnia - Long Live the King (1998)
Thrash Metal: Megadeth - Rust in Peace (1990), Tourniquet - Stop the Bleeding (1990)
Death/Thrash Metal: Opprobrium - Serpent Temptation (1988), Mortification - Mortification (1991)
Death Metal: Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked (2005), Crimson Thorn - Unearthed (1994)
Death/Doom Metal: Novembers Doom - The Pale Haunt Departure (2005), Paramaecium - Within the Ancient Forest (1996)
Melodic Death Metal: Edge of Sanity - Crimson (1996), Schaliach - Sonrise (1996)
Progressive Death Metal: Opeth - Deliverance (2002), Extol - Burial (1998)
(Un)black Metal: Immortal - At the Heart of Winter (1997), Kekal - Embrace the Dead (1999)
Folk Metal: Empyrium - Weiland (2002), Illuminandi - In Via (2010)
Viking Metal: Bathory - Hammerheart (1990), Slechtvalk - A Forlorn Throne (2010)