FAVORITE ALBUMS OF THE DECADE SO FAR

it's not even me getting old and just liking the shit i grew up on because i still discover new old bands from 1970-1999 that i like very much. metal music is just bad now. sorry.

Last week I re-discovered Odium's The Sad Realm of the Stars - an outsider at best at the time - and couldn't believe how ridiculously superior it is to what's passing as atmospheric black metal these days in every respect (songwriting, ambiance, heavyiness). Same goes for old Sacramentum, Necrophobic, etc. NO ONE does shit like that anyomore.

There are cool albums being released every month still, but seldom do they feel as "whole" and heartfelt as back then. Something is lacking yes, and I still can't pinpoint exactly what's to blame for it. PC Multitrack recording? Loudness race galore? Terrible evolution in general taste? Neige? My brain?

i pretty much agree. other than established bands that i thoroughly enjoy, i ignore all releases no matter the hype. like ellestin said, rediscovering is wonderful. i've been doing that nonstop lately, and finding orchid, min tid skal komme, journeys end, turn loose the swans, and heart of the ages again is glorious.

give me any negura over dordeduh

sorry we ruined your thread dick. but all that new shit you listen to sucks. go resdiscover duran duran and simply red

I've been saying new metal sucks for quite some time. It's one of the main reasons I was forced to discover other shit, and I'm glad I did. I got shouted down a few years back for saying metal was no longer exciting. Suddenly Erik speaks it and it's TRUTH. :loco: Gimme WILDHONEY and TALES FROM THE THOUSAND LAKES and RUST IN PEACE and A BLAZE IN THE NORTHERN SKY. How can anything modern hope to remotely compete? It's really no surprise we're all living in the fuckin' past.

Ellestin: Listening to that Odium album now. Not really sure what separates it from other albums of that ilk/time-period, but I will keep listening.

sorry we ruined your thread dick. but all that new shit you listen to sucks. go resdiscover duran duran and simply red

:lol: :lol: :lol: 5 stars

i thought you left metal because acting like you actually like that crap helps you get laid by arthouse coffee cafe chicks. or because liking metal scares the sluts away

ken quit because he got married and had a kid, and suddenly "grew out of metal"

i still blast the chasm while taking the kids to school

EDIT: in all seriousness, i'd be happy with 50 cds of my choosing to keep and just listen to them like we all did with the first 4 metallicas. i still know every song, solo, drum pattern from those albums. admit it, you all do to

i just miss that. if that means im old, im fucking old

Reactions: Krilons Resa
i thought you left metal because acting like you actually like that crap helps you get laid by arthouse coffee cafe chicks. or because liking metal scares the sluts away

ken quit because he got married and had a kid, and suddenly "grew out of metal"

i still blast the chasm while taking the kids to school

:lol: You are en fuego today.

Watch out, though. You might be late for church!

there is literally no way you can claim metal is of even remotely comparable quality in the timespan 2004-2014 as it was in 1985-1995

Unruly as hell:
Agalloch - Faustian Echoes
Vaura - Selenelion
Dordeduh - Dar de Duh
Paysage d'Hiver - Das Tor
Ulver - Messe I.X-VI.X
Rwake - Rest
Electric Wizard - Legalise Drugs and Murder
Nasheim - Solens vemod
October Falls - The Plague of a Coming Age
Ludicra - The Tenant

Pretty dang cool:
Enslaved - RIITIIR
Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn
Seeds of Iblis - Anti Quran Rituals
Swans - We Rose from Your Bed with the Sun in Our Head
Acid Witch - Stoned
Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction
Vastum - Carnal Law
Nero di Marte - s/t
Primus - Green Naugahyde
Sunn O))) / Ulver - Terrestials
Katatonia - Dead End Kings (I didn't like the acoustified version though)
Old Man Gloom - NO

ok. i dont hear the brilliance on old mornings dawn. the intro is awesome though

on the other hand, nightshade forests is still awesome and dol guldur is better than i remember. minas morgul still reigns supreme

ok. i dont hear the brilliance on old mornings dawn.
for me it's literally the only new album i've heard since about 2004 that has even come close to capturing The Feeling

you know what i mean

Yeah yeah, metal (and music) was better in past decades, but some amazing shit has come out in the past 4 years. List below doesn't include this year (still checking out albums).

High On Fire "Snakes for the Divine"
Inquisition "Ominous Doctrines.." (Not typing out that shit)
Twilight "Monument to Time's End"
Altar of Plagues "Mammal"
Trap Them "Darker Handcraft"
Ulcerate "Destroyers of All"
Vektor "Outer Isolation"
Cauldron "Burning Fortune"
Ash Borer "Ash Borer"
Mutilation Rites "Empyrean"
Black Breath "Sentenced to Life"
Martyrdod "Paranoia"
Ash Borer "Cold of Ages"
High On Fire "De Vermis Mysteriis"
Cauldron "Tomorrow's Lost"
Napalm Death "Utilitarian"
Goatwhore "Blood for the Master"
Panopticon "Kentucky"
Nails "Abandon All Life"
Gorguts "Colored Sands"
Inquisition "Obscure Verses..."
Carcass "Surgical Steel"
Altar of Plagues "Teethed Glory and Injury"
Cult of Fire *Illegible Title*
Fyrnask "Eldir Nott"
October Falls "Plague of a Coming Age"

for me it's literally the only new album i've heard since about 2004 that has even come close to capturing The Feeling

you know what i mean
Do you think "the feeling" that Summoning captures on their latest album is truly something special or is it just nostalgic? I tend to think whatever music we listen to in our formative years becomes imbued with a quality that music can rarely top again.

I tend to think whatever music we listen to in our formative years becomes imbued with a quality that music can rarely top again.
Agreed. The era that I remain most interested in, still discovering "new" bands from, is the early '90s. I bought my first CD in 1991, discovered death metal in 1992, and started playing bass in 1993. Those are all related. I also started jerking off around that time, no coincidence there.

But, there is still great shit being made. I don't know how "new" that Heavy Metal as a whole is anymore, but really, if you think of it that way, it was stale by 1979 when Ozzy got booted from Sabbath, or 1991 with the Black Album was released, or in the late '90s when Korn stopped/started doing meth, or whatever Old Fart Moment you wish to choose from. I'm sure I have one myself, I think it was in 1999 when Linkin Park was on the airwaves for the umpteenth time that morning and I kicked my stereo until it turned off, vowing to never listen to commercial radio ever again (and I didn't).

Something unique today is the absolute mountain of crap being released I suppose. I don't even bother paying much attention to most new bands, because like numbers before them, there are just too many of them. Not that it matters. Not that anything does. However, I could only buy albums from 1993 the rest of my days and be perfectly happy. Same could said for any year from 1965 until 2014 if I looked for the right signs.

Nah, not if they know how to use the internet. The problem is that most people DON'T WANT to discover new/different things. It's all certainly out there.

Nah, not if they know how to use the internet. The problem is that most people DON'T WANT to discover new/different things. It's all certainly out there.

I agree with this, but I also know that context plays a bug role for many in appreciating music. I remember being blown the fuck away by Carcass "Heartwork" when it came out because it was altering the landscape of death metal in process. Given all the music that has since borrowed from that approach, and without that initial context, only a few people will hear it and appreciate what it offered, sadly.

Autechre - Exai
A Pregnant Light - Domination Harmony
Spectral Lore - III
Dorenenriech - Flammentriebe
Cara Neir - Stagnant Perceptions
Circle of Ourorborus - Armon Keitalla
Lake of Blood - Omnipotens Tyrannus
Bosse-de-nage - III
Kayo Dot - Hubardo
Vaura - Selenelion
Little Dragon - Ritual Union
Bleeding Heart Narrative - Tongue tangled hair