Favorite Drum Performances

Flynn on Unquestionable Presence is probably the best metal drum performance I've heard. He is always doing something that makes you want to focus on the drums rather than anything else. The drum sound rules too. It's not plastic or clicky at all, which mars some of the more recent great performances.

Well...taking LoG's records which he's made...

Ashes > Gospel > Sacrament > Palaces

Ashes is the least technical, but I feel that it compliments the music so much more. Blood of The Scribe and Now You've Got Something To Die For...wow.
I love what he does on Walk With Me In Hell also. The double bass work is amazing.
I also love how he blasts on one song that I can recall, thats A Warning off Gospel ,apart from that I don't think he ever has blasted.

For me, I like the albums in this order:

Gospel > Ashes > Sacrament > Burn the Priest > Palaces.

Walk with me in hell is the reason I wish I'd have played drums instead of sax when I was in high school.

"A Warning" is the only song that Chris Adler plays blast beats on. He was once quoted in the "Burn the Priest"-era LoG as saying, "I'll never play blast beats in one of this band's songs."

The 3-5 second drum fill in "Ruin" = epic win.

Flynn on Unquestionable Presence is probably the best metal drum performance I've heard. He is always doing something that makes you want to focus on the drums rather than anything else. The drum sound rules too. It's not plastic or clicky at all, which mars some of the more recent great performances.

I most definitely agree.

Ones that I like that I can think of without glancing at my cd collection:

Faust on Emperor's ITNE
Hellhammer on Mayhem's DMDS (probably the only performance of his that I really like)
Trym on Enslaved's Frost

I most definitely agree.

Ones that I like that I can think of without glancing at my cd collection:

Faust on Emperor's ITNE
Hellhammer on Mayhem's DMDS (probably the only performance of his that I really like)
Trym on Enslaved's Frost

ah yes I forgot DMDS... good call

This was my first thought. I love that CD, as well as Symbolic.

Also, another vote for the 3 that The Ozzman mentioned, Paul Bostaph, Lombardo on The Gathering and Martin Lopez on Blackwater Park.

Paul Bostaph is by far my favorite drummer next to Neil Peart and Martin Lopez

I noticed once Paul joined Slayer they sucked. Lombardo destroys him.

No, his drumming on GHUA is pretty solid but I haven't heard anything else he was on in Slayer. He kicked ass when he was in Exodus. I still need to hear how he is in Forbidden. I need to get on that.

for me

Martin Lopex on Opeth-damnation, all of his drumming is outstanding regardless. I think he shows some influences on this album that he never showed on others and was more expirimental and about his roots.

Dan Swanö on Bloodbath-resurrection through carnage, his drumming is very rythmnic and industrial and is trance like which I why I like his drumming so much. I think people prefere Axe because he's faster, but he blasts to much and just does not have the flow and rythmn Dan does and kind of gets annoying or makes Nightmares Made Flesh less of an album.

Benny Larsson on Ege of Sanity-the spectral sorrows and purgatory afterglow.

Johnny Kelly on Type O Negative-october rust.

Sean Kinney. all AiC

Frost on newer Satyricon albums.

I noticed once Paul joined Slayer they sucked. Lombardo destroys him.

It's not his fault they sucked when he joined. Bostaph is actually a killer drummer. By the time he joined Jeff let Kerry do more writing & that was what destroyed them. When Jeff wrote an album a couple of albums later he ultimately went for a style change = no good.

For me, I like the albums in this order:

Gospel > Ashes > Sacrament > Burn the Priest > Palaces.

Walk with me in hell is the reason I wish I'd have played drums instead of sax when I was in high school.

"A Warning" is the only song that Chris Adler plays blast beats on. He was once quoted in the "Burn the Priest"-era LoG as saying, "I'll never play blast beats in one of this band's songs."

The 3-5 second drum fill in "Ruin" = epic win.

I can play that fill:kickass:

Oh I was talking in terms of the drums on the albums.
If we're talking fave albums, then.
Ashes > Gospel > Palaces > Sacrament.
Palaces has better individual tracks but a lot of album fillers.
Sacrament sucks after about 5 or 6 songs.

The only really sucky Slayer album is DIM I think.
Liked GHUA and Divine Intervention is sweet as.

Three pages and no mention of Mastodon? Brann Dailor's drumming is godly (and the only reason I listen to this otherwise ordinary band). 'Capillarian Crest' has got some of the most freakishly good drumming I've ever heard.

'Ticks & Leeches' by Tool
'Slaves Shall Serve' by Behemoth
'Arcana Hereticae' by Behemoth, especially the fill solo thing near the beginning.
Anything else by Behemoth

- Sean Reinert and Gian Rubio on Aghora's 'Formless'
- Simon O'Laoghaire on Primordial's 'Spirit The Earth Aflame'
- Inferno live with Behemoth at the Summerbreeze 2005

- Sean Reinert and Gian Rubio on Aghora's 'Formless'

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

I like his drumming much better on that album than on Cynic for some reason. I even like it better than his work on Death's "Human" & the new C-187 album. For some odd reason I feel his presence more, I don't know what it is.

Anything by Behemoth is 100% pure asskicking drumming, I also like Frost`s drumming with 1349.