Favorite Enchant Song?

Rarely do I hear drumwork that commands my attention like this.

I'm totally with you on that note. ABOTW was the first album to really draw my attention towards drumming, especially towards the possibilities of the cymbals... I fondly remember freakin' out upon hearing "Acquaintance" for the first time because I had never heard the drums being played like that.

Yeah, I agree as well. When I hear Paul's drumming on Blueprint, it really grabs me. I mean, I don't really have an acute ear for drumming, but there is something special about his drumming. It's a shame he left, though I don't have any problems with Sean.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have done it.

I have broken the shrink wrap on "Blueprint of the World," and I've played it repeatedly over the past coyple of weeks on my commutes.

OH MY GOD.

I now see what al the fuss was about!

There is not a song not worth listening to on this disk - although there are indeed songs I admit to now jumping to when I know my drive is too short to get to naturally! They are The Thirst, Catharsis, Oasis (of course!), and I think my favorite on the album (and in the running for my all-time Enchant favorite for that matter), East of Eden. I'm such a sucker for the odd meter!

I'm absolutely IN AWE over Craddick's percussive artistry on this album. I've been enjoying but really deeply dissecting his work on it. What impresses me the most is not merely the skill he has, but the ingenius uniqueness to the flavor of the drumming he brings to every song. It's beautifully punctuated, and yet I don't get the sense that he's showing off or trying to steal any spotlights. I feel as though he's just in a zone and a groove, but that it's a zone and groove that complements the rest of the band without dispute.

Rarely do I hear drumwork that commands my attention like this.

This is not to detract from everyone else's contributions on the album, of course, but hey - ever since the I was 12 and picked up my first pair of drumsticks, my ear for music has never been the same.

--Keith
Hey Keith!

WHAT?!?!?! You hadn't heard this masterpiece before? I pretty much started with Blueprint and Wounded so I guess they will always be my favorites, but Blueprint is definitely my favorite. I thought that you would've been listening to this one for years!

I have seen this thread going for a bit and haven't participated because, as much as I love Enchant, it truly is difficult to pick ONE favorite song. I'm glad to see that there are so many others in the same boat with me. In fact, I just went through Blueprint real quick to pick out some favorites and they ALL kick ass!! I love hearing them all, singing along, etc... Wounded isn't much different for me. What I might be able to pick is out is my favorite Enchant song to sing along with: Pure! I love it!! I guess it is because it is so emotional, I know the words the best of almost any song in the world. I not usually lyrically strong - I remember choruses and key parts. Hell, I don't know a lot of the lyrics to my own band. :lol: But Pure got me, I had to learn and LOVE to sing it! I can't sing Rain............ Good God, how does he do it?!?!?!? And the key change is high for me, but the rest I feel pretty good about.

How Ted sings this material for an entire night and then decides to pull Pure out towards the end and still hits every note - unreal! Yet, he saves the vocal marathon, Oasis for the last song. I think Ted is THE most underrated singer out there! And he pretty much slays EVERYONE else in a live setting.

The fact that I'm still "discovering" Enchant songs takes some by surprise, but the main reason for that is that I held back in buying most of their CDs until March of this year -- I bought over $200 of stuff at their merch table. That was the plan all along - to put as much cash as possible into the band's hands directly.

Mind you that California show took about a year to materialize! Had I known it would have taken that long, I'd have bought them a long time ago.

Sorry - a bit off topic - but I felt I had to defend myself! ;-)

The fact that I'm still "discovering" Enchant songs takes some by surprise, but the main reason for that is that I held back in buying most of their CDs until March of this year -- I bought over $200 of stuff at their merch table. That was the plan all along - to put as much cash as possible into the band's hands directly.

Mind you that California show took about a year to materialize! Had I known it would have taken that long, I'd have bought them a long time ago.

Sorry - a bit off topic - but I felt I had to defend myself! ;-)
That's cool, man! Its all good! When I purchased Blueprint, it was at a time (1998) that I never thought I'd ever get a chance to see these guys perform live. Hell, up until earlier this year, I still had my doubts! Glad that has changed! But as a musician, I definitely appreciate you wanting to put as much cash in their pockets as possible!

:lol: Yeah, it did take time, but so does fine wine -- another thing you NorCal people know about. ;) Thank God for David Hatchell following through with his vision and providing great bands like Enchant opportunities to play! God knows I've lobbied the PP forum enough for Enchant. I hope Dave brings them back to head line BAR Fest II!

On a side-note, ever since I posted on this thread on Friday, I went to an Enchant kick! I queued up the entire discography here at work and I'm working my way through it. Halfway through Break now. I can easily say, I've been enjoying every single track! The most difficult part listening to them while coding in my cube? Not singing along at the top of my lungs!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Hey Rick,

I know this is totally off topic, but just curious... what programming languages do you code in?
:lol: Usually, C++ still some C occasionally (when looking at older projects around here). Pretty much all object based now. Also not unusual to be looking through assembly language during debug sessions. I have also used other languages over the years, but not so much these days. I do embedded systems programming using an RTOS that is HQed in Alameda, CA called VxWorks. My first trip to CA was for a training course using it back in 2000. I was lucky to have my first exposure to CA to be NorCal. I'd love to finish out my career and retire there if I can afford it. THat way I can see Enchant whenever they play! How's that for bringing it back on-topic? :kickass:

What about you?

:lol: Usually, C++ still some C occasionally (when looking at older projects around here). Pretty much all object based now. Also not unusual to be looking through assembly language during debug sessions. I have also used other languages over the years, but not so much these days. I do embedded systems programming using an RTOS that is HQed in Alameda, CA called VxWorks. My first trip to CA was for a training course using it back in 2000. I was lucky to have my first exposure to CA to be NorCal. I'd love to finish out my career and retire there if I can afford it. THat way I can see Enchant whenever they play! How's that for bringing it back on-topic? :kickass:

What about you?

I've taken one class on C++ and honestly that language kicks my ass! ;-) I respect those that have a good understanding of it because it's such a powerful language. I mainly work with languages like AppleScript, JavaScript and VBA - perfect for workflow automation for the Graphics Department I support. I'm currently learning Python which I'm really impressed with so far!

I really find it interesting to find other musicians who are also professional programmers. Sounds like you do some pretty sophisticated stuff!! Thanks for sharing and wish I could also get a job out there in NorCal - would be perfect to catch all the Enchant shows!! :)

I've taken one class on C++ and honestly that language kicks my ass! ;-) I respect those that have a good understanding of it because it's such a powerful language. I mainly work with languages like AppleScript, JavaScript and VBA - perfect for workflow automation for the Graphics Department I support. I'm currently learning Python which I'm really impressed with so far!

I really find it interesting to find other musicians who are also professional programmers. Sounds like you do some pretty sophisticated stuff!! Thanks for sharing and wish I could also get a job out there in NorCal - would be perfect to catch all the Enchant shows!! :)
That's cool. Thanks! I'd actually like to learn Java and .net stuff. Of course, I'd really much rather just do music, but that's not realistic at this time.

No doubt! And its more widespread than you'd imagine. My old prog metal cover band was comprised of three co-workers here! The one that wasn't from BD, was a network engineer elsewhere. And in Odin's Court, Matt is also a embedded software engineer and John is a network engineer. I also just did an acoustic show with 4 other software people here last week. It was real easy to put together that "band." Well, I could almost transfer there now. I work for a company called BD, formerly known as Becton Dickinson. My location just north of Baltimore has the largest software department in the corporation. The second largest one is at our San Jose facility! So the possibility of relocation always exists. :) If I didn't have kids or if I wasn't divorced, I would probably consider that more now. But I don't want to take the kids away from their mother or open up the possibility of losing them to her. My youngest will be 18 in 9 years - then it may become a reality.

Favorite track? Ugh, it'd be hard enough to pick favorite songs from each album.

Oasis, probably.

But if you asked me on a different day, I could easily go with Enchanted (love that psycho drumming), Seeds of Hate, See no Evil, and I could probably go on for another dozen songs.

Its funny lots of different songs come along. Not a big surprise really. Enchant has hardly ever produced a poor song (if never) and then its hard to choose between all those great ones.
Still I think: 1. Pure
2. Nighttime Sky
3. Comatose
4. Seeds of hate
5. New Moon and Broken Wave

I remember a similar thread some time ago, and it hasn't become any easier since then. :erk:

My favourites (in chronological order, can't really say which one's the best):

1. The Thirst
2. Acquaintance
3. Nighttime Sky
4. My Enemy
5. The Lizard
6. Under Fire

:worship: