favorite guitar solos?

Blackened-Metallica
Baroque and Roll- Yngwie
High Speed Dirt-Megadeth
Die Dead Enough-Megadeth
Freezing Moon-Mayhem

And no, "Speed Lives" isn't sped up, he's just fast. The original song is called "No Boundaries." "Speed Lives" and "Speed Kills" are just his instructional videos. Oh, and quite similar to Yngwie Malmsteen, he's quite a shitty guitarist who happens to have great technique.

Anything by Laiho, particularly Hatebreeder and the second solo in Sixpounder
Pantera-Cemetary Gates
Soilwork- Machine gun Majesty
Meshuggah- Sane, Elastic
And many more...

I'm going to do full albums because that's easier.

Mercyful Fate-In The Shadows,Time,Mellisa
King Diamond-Conspiracy,Abigail,Abigial 2.
Annihilator-Alice In Hell
Nevermore-The Godless Endeavor
Solitude Aeturnus-Into The Depths of Sorror
Immolation-ALL
Testament-The Legacy,The New Order,The Ritual,Low
Jag Panzer-Thane To The Throne,Mechanized Warfare,Casting the Stones
Cathedral-Forest of Equilibrium,The Ethereal Mirrow
Blind Guardian-Follow The Blind
Iron Maiden-Powerslave
Iced Earth-Night of The Stormrider
Black Sabbath-first 5
Sepultura-Beneath The Remains,Arise.
Forbidden-Forbidden Evil
Brutality-Screams of Anguish,When The Sky Turns Black.
Opeth-My Arms Your Hearse,Still Life,Blackwater Park

This is too hard for me to decide.

Just for an answer off the top of my head, how about.... is the Super Terrorizer solo by Zakk Wylde. It's not really the best I can think of but it'ss 2: AM and I can't think straight.

Yeah......much better with St. Anger since they took out the solos, totally, not that I listen to Metallica in any form...

Barking Pumpkin said:
And no, "Speed Lives" isn't sped up, he's just fast. The original song is called "No Boundaries." "Speed Lives" and "Speed Kills" are just his instructional videos. Oh, and quite similar to Yngwie Malmsteen, he's quite a shitty guitarist who happens to have great technique.

Ok thats fucking ridiculous to say, You say he has great technique, He's been around for a long time, he has speed, but also has some great melodies, His music gets repetitve sometimes but nevertheless is pretty cool, Yngwie is definetly better than you and 90% of all other guitar players. So how in anyway is he a shitty guitarist. Its pretty retarded to call one of the best metal guitar players ever a shitty guitarist.

BlackMetalTyrant said:
Ok thats fucking ridiculous to say, You say he has great technique, He's been around for a long time, he has speed, but also has some great melodies, His music gets repetitve sometimes but nevertheless is pretty cool, Yngwie is definetly better than you and 90% of all other guitar players. So how in anyway is he a shitty guitarist. Its pretty retarded to call one of the best metal guitar players ever a shitty guitarist.

First of all, if you want to talk about speed and "technique," it didn't start with Yngwie Malmsteen and it certainly doesn't end with him, and on technique alone I could name you a bunch of people who could kick his ass if that's what you're interested in.

There's more to guitar playing than speed. I consider excellent technique to be an important aspect to playing guitar. However, it is not the only aspect. Being a good writer, knowing theory, being able to use a variety of different scales to convey different things, and generally having some humility with your playing. The jazz genre in general is more complex than anything Yngwie Malmsteen has written, less importantly because there are some blazing players, but jazz uses complex chord changes, lots of variety, and also a key is seventh chords, which I imagine Yngwie knows nothing about.

There is nothing "neoclassical" about Yngwie's playing, unless your definition of neoclassical is "fast harmonic minor scales," and in that case, you would be sadly mistaken. He simply popularized "shred" playing in a very simple complex and became a pop icon for a bit. But if you look at him in the context of what was going on before him, during his peak, and now, you'll see that he's a very small deal indeed.

Oh, and the point that Yngwie Malmsteen may be better than me is completely irrelevant. I'll openly admit he can shred faster and more cleanly than I can, but I most definitely wouldn't want to switch places with Yngwie. While Yngwie is close-minded in terms of music and isn't going to learn anything else, I'm open-minded, listen to a much wider variety of music than he does, and am still learning about music, and hope to always be still learning. In this point, I would like to think I have the advantage over Yngwie, whose ego blinds him to new things.

misfit said:
heaps, but in particular

Megadeth - Tornado of Souls
Ten points for you!

Also, Judas Priest's "Beyond the Realms of Death" is the most mindblowingly brilliant solo ever in terms of atmosphere and emotion, like a whole other song within the song. Simple in terms of virtuosity and technique, but holy shit is that composition AMAZING or what?

BarkingPumpkin, you definetly do not have anything over Yngwie Malmsteen. He has mad a very succesful career just playing guitar. I dont think he needs to open himself up to anything new because he has found what works for him and stuck with it. He has a big ego, but I dont neccesarily see that as a bad thing. When you are as good as Yngwie Malmsteen you can talk as much shit as you want. Plus what do you mean " a key is seventh chords ", maybe you dont know anything about it. Ive downloaded a few tracks a Yngwie playing fusion type stuff, and I have a video of him playing an ES 335 and playing some really clean blues, so I think he can definetly play some other types of music, he chooses not to though.