Favorite Guitar Tracks OMG!!!

10. Icarus' Dream Suite, Op.4 - Yngwie Malmsteen.

Hey, good call...that Yngwie symphony album is killer.

I can't even attempt a list like this. Too many to whittle down. I can only do three no-brainers:

1. Scarred - Dream Theater
2. Vladmir Pockets...... - Buckethead
3. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Pat Metheny & Charlie Haden

I don't think I saw this mentioned... and while I'm too lazy to make a full list from 10 to 1... Steve Vai's - Lotus Feet... deserves to be at the top of any guitar list...

moreover... anyone who thinks Steve Vai has no feel needs to listen to that song.

Edit: As well as

Tender Surrender
The Animal
For the Love of God
Whispering A Prayer

I personally like Joe Satriani much better than Steve Vai. Steve Vai's stuff is too moody for me.... Joe's stuff is just downright guitar playing and that's why I like it better.

Trust me, I've heard nearly all of both of these guy's albums.

- Tubbs Mcfat

hey tubbs.. thats cool man... and I used to feel the same way as you...

satch's stuff is defenitly more accesible and straight up guitar... If anyone could knock Vai off my top guitarist list its Satriani... However, After listening to Satch's stuff and buying all his albums/dvd's I must say that creatively he's not up there with Steve Vai (for me)... Satch's stuff seems to not hold my interest as much as Vai's...Every time I hear Vai's stuff I find something different to appreciate... With Satriani its kind of like, "okay, i get it".

I think nothing shows my point more clearly than the newest G3 dvd. We get to see "arguably" the 3 greatest guitarists alive right now playing side by side. And in the Jams, you can clearly see Petrucci and Satch repeating licks and they both have clear "go-to" phrases... They stay very much in the realms of, "I know this will sound killer, so I'm gonna milk it for all its worth"...Now I have no problem with that - obviously - since I just said they are arguably the greatest guitarists alive. However, EVERY SINGLE lick Vai plays is fresh, creative and adventurous...to the point that even Petruch and Satch are being blown away by what he's playing.

In my opinion... to judge the greatest guitar songs or guitarists the main criteria should be originality/creativity... of course melodic content as well as chops factor in but the main question you should be asking is "does this piece of music PUSH the limits of music?"...

A million people on this planet sound like Stevie Ray Vaughan, Gary Moore, Eric Clapton, or even Van Halen and Joe Satriani. So what makes me say "OMG this is the craziest shit ever" is when it sounds like none of the people mentioned above. Although I do love all those guys...

Andy Timmons smokes Vai's ass all day long. In fact, everyone on Vai's record label is a better guitarist than him. Vai is overrated. He has a few good songs, but he thinks he is God's gift to the guitar and I can't stand seeing everyone say that he's the most technical guitarist ever. If technical gets you off, listen to Holdsworth or Shawn Lane, or any number of other guitarists that would eat Vai alive.

When Vai is on, he's brilliant, but he's too hit-and-miss for my tastes. Timmons on the other hand just plays perfectly on every song.

my beef with Vai is that he steals a lot of riffs...... from himself. His most recent album however shows that he can still write original stuff. Very talented man, and i respect him most for pushing the boundaries of guitar work.

i don't focus on the guitar tracks while listening.. nevertheless, rust in peace (album) by megadeth would prolly be my favourite, in terms of cool riffs and solos (marty rules). shit thread fatty

anything from Fredrik Thordendal/Meshuggah. Fred's solos are amazing, especially his side-project stuff. and his tone and articulation with the breath controller make him even cooler.

Also, i really like the guitar solo in the middle of "Bleak." I don't listen to Opeth for guitar coolness, but the melodic, kinda sparse solo during the acoustic interlude is so tight.

The Evil Toucan said:
Andy Timmons smokes Vai's ass all day long. In fact, everyone on Vai's record label is a better guitarist than him. Vai is overrated. He has a few good songs, but he thinks he is God's gift to the guitar and I can't stand seeing everyone say that he's the most technical guitarist ever. If technical gets you off, listen to Holdsworth or Shawn Lane, or any number of other guitarists that would eat Vai alive.

When Vai is on, he's brilliant, but he's too hit-and-miss for my tastes. Timmons on the other hand just plays perfectly on every song.

Timmons is the ultimate "feel" guitarist. I've just never heard a better lead player as far as that is concerned.

some of mine (no particular order)

Electric Gypsy - Andy Timmons, Andy Timmons, Ear X-Tacy 1
Aerial Boundaries - Michael Hedges, Michael Hedges, Aerial Boundaries
End Of The Beginning - Michael Lee Firkins, Jason Becker, Perspective
Grey Flying Pianos - Shawn Lane, Shawn Lane, Powers Of Ten
I'm Alright (plus the guitar intro) - Neil Zaza, Bobby Rock & Neil Zaza, Snap, Crackle, Pop LIVE!
Lost - Ron Thal, Bumblefoot, 9.11
Where Were You? - Jeff Beck, Jeff Beck, Guitar Shop
Sol Niger Within - Fredrik Thordendal, Fredrik Thordendal, Sol Niger Within
Airborne - George Bellas, George Bellas, Mind Over Matter

I'll omit all the shred wankery and keep this exclusive to proper "songs."

In no particular order...

"La Villa Strangiato" - Rush, Alex Lifeson
"Rapture" - Morbid Angel, Trey Azagthoth (the man churns out the most intense, chaotic, evil solos ever heard)
"To Thou Who Dwellest in the Night" - Arcturus, Carl August Tidemann
"Enthralled in Essence" - Atheist, Rand Burkey/Kelly Shaefer
"Fountainhead" - Spiral Architect, Steinar Gundersen/Kaj Gornitzka
"Hangar 18" - Megadeth, Dave Mustaine/Marty Friedman
"The Tongue of Fire" - Emperor, (the mighty) Ihsahn & Samoth
"Caught Somewhere in Time" - Iron Maiden, Dave Murray/Adrian Smith
"A Blaze in the Northern Sky" - Darkthrone, Nocturno Culto
"Masturbating the War God" - Nile, Karl Sanders/Dallas Toler-Wade

Yeah, im not giving ten, ill just give the artits(haha artits)
Yngwie Malmsteen
Steve Vai
John Petrucci
Peter Lindgren
Mikael Akerfeldt