Favorite Metal Epics

Enslaved - 793 (Slaget om Lindisfarne)

Actually I'm a bit surprised to be the first one to say that.

I'll add a few that haven't been mentioned (I think):

Agalloch - In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion
Just a beautiful song all around, that builds and builds, and then just breaks in your face - all the while the band manage to refrain from going crazy and since they hold back, it gives the feeling of an almost 'delicate' track.

In The Woods - 299.796 KM/S
Took me some time, but I love this song. The unique singing style (along with the female singing) is great, and I love how the song takes it down a notch during the middle and then comes back up again.

Green Carnation - Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness
This song has it all - great riffs, great singing, everything. If it wasn't for that chick singing a couple of minutes too long, it would have been perfect. Also, the solo for this song is one of my favorites - not techincal at all, with a lot of feel.

Subterranean Masquerade - Temporary Psychotic State (a recollection of where it all began)
I couldn't decide which track of theirs to choose, and in the end I went with the EP track. It took me a while to completely grasp this song, and once I did, it was just... wow. Paul Kuhr really gives his finest performance with great lyrics.

Symphony X - Rediscovery II (The New Mythology)
Mainly for nostalgic reasons - one of my earliest metal experiences. I still think it's a great song, despite the fact that it's wankery or whatever, it just has it all - awesome singing, great heavy riffs, nice idea too.

since when any nile song is epic? wtf get a taste asap

Congratulations, you're extremely stupid.

1). "Epic" doesn't have anything to do with quality; note the literary genre of epic fantasy.

2). You crave the raunchy buttsex.

Agalloch - The Hawthorne Passage/In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion
Zero Hour - Demise & Vestige.
Edge Of Sanity - Crimson 1 & 2.
Ulver - Troldskogen Faren Vild
Virgin Black - The Everlasting
Redemption - Window To Space
Summoning - Land of the Dead
Opeth - Blackwater Park, The Drapery Falls

etc etc.

Green Carnation - Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness
This song has it all - great riffs, great singing, everything. If it wasn't for that chick singing a couple of minutes too long, it would have been perfect. Also, the solo for this song is one of my favorites - not techincal at all, with a lot of feel.
:kickass: Edge Of Sanity's Crimson and Crimson II definitely qualify, and I would also have to say Opeth's The Night And The Silent Water.

Tenhi have some real fucking epic tracks too.

Vastakaiun or Vilja off of Väre are two extremely epic tracks.. Despite not being epic in length.

This thread was about "Metal Epics". Tenhi ain't met0l lol.
But yeah, still really, really great, (my favourite mellow band), and they deserve to be mentioned in this thread. All of their albums are epic as hell.

Some other songs I'd suggest.
From Kauan - Etäisyyksien taa, Soutu
From Väre - Varis eloinen, Jäljen, Suortuva
From Maaäet - Tuulenkaato, Varpuspäivä
From Airut-Aamujen - Kuvajainen, Seitsensarvi

Opeth-Black Rose Immortal, Ghost of Perdition, The Drapery Falls, Blackwater Park, ect
Symphony X-The Divine Wings of Tragedy, The Odyssey
Nile-User-Maat-Re, To Dream of Ur, Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten
Dream Theater-Octavarium, In the Presence of Enemies pt 1,2, The Glass Prison, A Change of Seasons
Rhapsody of Fire-The Mystic Prophecy of the Demon Knight
Behemoth-The Reign ov Shemsu-Hor

Manowar : Hail and Kill
Iron Maiden : Phantom of the Opera
Metallica : Master of puppets, Disposible Heroes, And Justice for All, Creeping Death
A bunch of Immortal songs (don't know the names)
Deep Purple : Child in Time
Black Sabbath : War Pigs
Ozzy Osbourne : Mr Crowley, No mOre Tears
Sepultura : Desperate Cry
Scorpions : We'll Burn theS ky ( Uli Jon Roth Pawns you )
Bon Jovi : Dry County
Toto : Home of The Brave
Muse : Knights of Cydonia
Slayer : Seasons in the Abyss
Keep of Kalessin : songs on their latest album Armada
Coheed and Cambria : Welcome Home
Devin Townsend : A lot of songs on Terria are bigger than the earth itself
Rush : 2112, Xanadu, Natural Science, La Villa Strangiato, Jacob's LAdder, Cygnus etc etc ...

and a lot of what has already been said on Opeth, DT, Nile, Iron Maiden ( Rime of The Ancient Mariner FTW !).

Don't dismiss :

The Ramones : I wanna Sniff Some Glue

Makes you want to ride the Vahalla with the knights of the round table.