favorite/recently read books

DragonLady1 said:
@loona just tell us, it may be interesting :)

don't think they ever got translated, but I will look if so :) or maybe try :erk:
nice talking guys, I go and dry my hair at last and watch tv. There will be a film called 'Doors' and it has no information if it's about the band or not. Hope yes, I would be interested...

I'm reading the Iliad at the moment. It's fantastic, like one long and fairly dramatic round of bloodshed, with a few rousing oratories thrown in.

My favourite authors at the moment are William Burroughs, of whom I've read Naked Lunch, Junky and The Place Of Dead Roads, and Chuck Palahniuk, of whom I've read Fight Club and Lullaby.

i read Outsider too i think when i was 15ish was a good book, really dry and thought provoking that is if im thinking of the same one....
was it about a guy and his thoughts to situation he encountered? and he had a best friend and he met a girl and someone got shot on a beach?

blackeyed said:
i read Outsider too i think when i was 15ish was a good book, really dry and thought provoking that is if im thinking of the same one....
was it about a guy and his thoughts to situation he encountered? and he had a best friend and he met a girl and someone got shot on a beach?
yeah thats the one, inspiration of Cure's Killing an Arab, i believe

first day at uni today for the new semester and the "good" news came fast. these are the "few" books i have to read till the end of may:

the classics:

machiavelli - the prince
voltaire - candide
goethe - faust (part I)
flaubert - madame bovary
dostoyevsky - notes from underground
wilde - the picture of dorian gray

and the recent stuff:

john fowles - the collector
jean rhys - wide sargasso sea
graham greene - the human factor
kate atkinson - behind the scens at the museum
graham swift - last orders

add to that quite a lot of old/medieval english poetry (chaucer, shakespeare, milton, marvell, donne and many more) and you can realise my situation.

i think that song goodbye cruel world by floyd sums it up nicely.

:erk:

sol83 said:
first day at uni today for the new semester and the "good" news came fast. these are the "few" books i have to read till the end of may:

the classics:

machiavelli - the prince
voltaire - candide
goethe - faust (part I)
flaubert - madame bovary

and the recent stuff:

add to that quite a lot of old/medieval english poetry (chaucer, shakespeare, milton, marvell, donne and many more) and you can realise my situation.

hahaha have fun!

sol83 said:

the classics:

machiavelli - the prince
voltaire - candide
goethe - faust (part I)
flaubert - madame bovary

and the recent stuff:

ah the french ones, had to read them too... Flaubert and Voltaire are nice tho... And Faust is a must too, I liked it ;)

i wont even read 1/3 of it (as usual :D ) but still, its fuckin massive like. i dont mind much tho, the lectures are fun, i dig them, all the discussion and that.

DragonLady1 said:
ah the french ones, had to read them too... Flaubert and Voltaire are nice tho... And Faust is a must too, I liked it ;)
Faust might actually be the only good thing Goethe ever wrote. We had to read "Die Leiden des jungen Werther" at school - it was a horror! About 200 pages full of self-pity and cheese... :erk: :yell:

The Hobbit- J.R.R. Tolkien
Thus Spoke Zarathustra- Friedrich Nietzsche
Twilight of the Idols- Friedrich Nietzsche
The Idiot- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Notes From Underground- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Being and Nothingness- Jean Paul Sartre

best said:
it was an OK story but i dont really get the point, i cant see why it is an excellent novel

it did have a point: to show once again what sick creatures we are...the way we make fun of the different, the way we outcast them etc.

remember the scene where he is taunted by the girl and all his friends...the time he says "i felt naked"

and it also very vividly depicts the intellectual growth of a person...from retardedness to being a genius...the problems he gets into and how complex life gets as one grows.

sol83 said:

the classics:

machiavelli - the prince
voltaire - candide
goethe - faust (part I)
flaubert - madame bovary

and the recent stuff:

Oh... Machiavelli? This guy was just sick. I prefer the "Antimachiavelli" instead :). And Voltaire... Hmmm... :ill:

At the moment I am reading a lot of Russian and Polish Science Fiction.

Strugatzki - Picknick am Wegesrand, Das Experiment (Die Stadt der Verdammten) = City of The Damned? I don´t know names of the english versions... I don´t think that they were translated into English.

Stanislaw Lem - Solaris etc...

DragonLady1 said:
I liked Lessings "Nathan der Weise" tho, and also Brecht had some good stuff... but there were so many cheesy and boring things inbetween... we even didnt read Hesse at school, tho its one of the best imo :erk:
Hesse is brilliant. We read "Der Steppenwolf" in school, meanwhile almost all his works have found their way into my bookshelf - and into my mind... He's weird, but so is Kafka, and I like his work a lot too. :D
Lessing's "Nathan der Weise" was one of the best pieces of literature that we had to read in school. Goethe, Freud and E.T.A. Hoffmann would be the some of the most traumatizing memories of my German lessons. :erk: