favorite reference song you use for master EQ-ing?

-J-

May 7, 2007
I think Exodus's Tempo of the Damned has like the perfect EQ range - I'm using that as my reference to analyze the EQ of and replicate for my master currently. Is there a particular album or song you find yourself analyzing and replicating the EQ of during your mastering process, or do you tend to not shoot for someone else's EQ?

I don't typically try to match EQ's but yet just a reference point. I will typically take a CoB, ASP, or Arch Enemy EQ graph for reference. They are all literally all the same.

I guess there's sort of an "industry standard" when you look at the big picture. I usually fall short of the bass side of things and end up jacking it up during mastering.

For my most recent project (my band's upcoming CD), I used mostly Andy mixes, haha. Devildriver's Last Kind Words, Chimaira's Resurrection, and Arch Enemy's Rise of the Tyrant. I used the AE disc more as the "alternate viewpoint" more than a reference to model, as I like some things about it, but mostly to analyze the things I didn't like about it in comparison to mixes I know I did like. Their are some frequencies that sound kinda harsh to me on ROTT, so I wanted to see if I could pick them out, and then compare those to mixes I did like and see how they differed in the bigger picture.

I think Exodus's Tempo of the Damned has like the perfect EQ range - I'm using that as my reference to analyze the EQ of and replicate for my master currently. Is there a particular album or song you find yourself analyzing and replicating the EQ of during your mastering process, or do you tend to not shoot for someone else's EQ?

Great album, Andy did an amazing job with that one. I especially love Jack's bass tone...wonder what his chain was ? I have not attempted to master yet....