Favorite song on Pursuit of the Sun, Allure of the Earth?

Favorite song on Pursuit of the Sun, Allure of the Earth?

• Intro: The Looming of Dust in the Dark (& the Illumination)

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • The Will to Give

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • The Sun was in My Eyes: Part One

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • The Sun was in My Eyes: Part Doom

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Allure of the Earth

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Shedding the Deadwood

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Dragged Across a Forest Floor

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Summer's Envy

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • The Ghost of Summer's Past

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Outro: The End of August

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters
Wow, I posted my response in November 2006, thats scary. Mine was Dragged Across the Forest Floor, and it still is. The imagery is amazing, yet brutal, and its perfect for the summer. Cause in the winter you can listen to black metal all about the harshness of the snow and trees and freezing to death, but other than this album, and specifically that song, can you hear someone sing about the brutality of summer, and getting your ass kicked in a forest :p (Metaphorically, of course)

This was such a hard choice to make because the entire album from start to finish is amazing. However I think I've listened to The Ghosts of Summer's Past the most so that gets my vote.

Dragged Across A Forest Floor, which is strange. It was always a tracked I skipped over because I didn't like it and it was too long; I wanted to get to the last three songs, which I loved(and still do). But then I saw a thread in here with the lyrics, and went back and listened to the song. It shot up the scale to my absolute favorite track on the album.

That's sort of an asterisked position though, and I'll explain why. Every other song has its complement, Intro and The Will to Give; The Sun Was In My Eyes parts one and two, Allure and Shedding, and the last three songs. Dragged is left alone, but that makes it the only track on the album that I can listen to without hearing the whole album around it. The other songs, I feel, aren't as powerful when taken independently (which isn't a bash on the album, its my number 1 album, although Woods III is threatening to knock it off the top spot). Thats why I like Dragged, because it feels more like a song than a piece of an album (which isn't to say it doesn't fit, it fits perfectly, but because its so long it acts as its own complement)

I hope any of that made sense, I'm very tired and listening to a Trance sampler I got from a friend.

That's sort of an asterisked position though, and I'll explain why. Every other song has its complement, Intro and The Will to Give; The Sun Was In My Eyes parts one and two, Allure and Shedding, and the last three songs. Dragged is left alone, but that makes it the only track on the album that I can listen to without hearing the whole album around it. The other songs, I feel, aren't as powerful when taken independently (which isn't a bash on the album, its my number 1 album, although Woods III is threatening to knock it off the top spot). Thats why I like Dragged, because it feels more like a song than a piece of an album (which isn't to say it doesn't fit, it fits perfectly, but because its so long it acts as its own complement)

Wow! This is very interesting to me! Great observation! I'll agree that the songs on "Woods 2" (Pursuit...) are really connected together, even just as pairs, mostly, but "Woods 3's" songs, though still 'concept', can be heard individually on their own without so much "huh?". Though W3 tells a story, the impact of each song is less dependent on the 'set up' from the previous song and the 'complimentary delivery' from the song after it.

It was really hard to choose one song. This is one of my favorite albums ever, so pretty much all of the songs have been my "favorite one" at one time or another. Even "Dragged..." which I didn't really like on my first couple listens, grew on me and won me over. However, there is one constant, one song that I will play if I only have time to listen to just one song: The Will to Give.

Wow! This is very interesting to me! Great observation! I'll agree that the songs on "Woods 2" (Pursuit...) are really connected together, even just as pairs, mostly, but "Woods 3's" songs, though still 'concept', can be heard individually on their own without so much "huh?". Though W3 tells a story, the impact of each song is less dependent on the 'set up' from the previous song and the 'complimentary delivery' from the song after it.

Thats actually really interesting. I may have perhaps subconsciously done this too, because I actually do listen to Dragged a lot just by itself (and Shedding when I want to play it) but while I love the other songs, usually if I want to listen to one I'll just go "ah, whatever" and throw on the whole album. But yeah, the way the lyrics are definitely gives it a more "whole" feeling than Woods III, which isn't necessarily better, its just more of a fluid story. Cool stuff.

It' s very hard to decide which song i prefer ! I really like listening Pursuit of the sun... in it's entirety.
However, i have to say that the song : "Outro - the end of august" have something special... Not to sure how to explain it !
Probably because of the atmosphere the song create + Sarah Green vocals ( is it her ? ).
In brief, a fantastic song on an amazing album :)