• 14 shades of gray

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chapter V

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • the Illusion of progress

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
Hey Tony,

Probably the reason some are attacking you is because Staind is not exactly the kind of band that most Opeth fans would like. It comes across as a joke to many.

If you like Staind, that's cool. I'm not a fan myself, but I like plenty of music that others on here call shit (can I say shit to a 15 year old? You are younger than my daughter!!!). Musical taste is personal to you.

Welcome to the forum. If you are interested in other metal that is similar in quality and (sort of) style, I would highly recommend checking out Agalloch and Enslaved. They are good places to start.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6X1M-dL-zo&NR=1[/ame]

Sorta death vox on this. Ain't the worst i've heard.

If you have only heard their songs from the radio, you would probably say that, but if you heard songs like open your eyes, pressure, change, cant believe, and most of their stuff from dysfunction, you would know what I was talking about.

You're right, I've only heard the radio stuff, but I just listened to those ones you mentioned and I still don't hear anything that resembles death vocals. Its more of a faux-emo scream, but toned down. Typical nu-metal music that in no way relates to Opeth.

Like I said in my post, and what Sambojoho restated, check out Agalloch for a band similar to Opeth that uses real death vocals. Honestly, I think you would like some real emo music too, give The Moon is a Dead World by Gospel a try.

You're young, you still have a whole world of music to explore, it's a great thing that you've discovered Opeth, now you just have to open your ears to more music, we're all here to help.

Agalloch isn't really heavy like ever and their vocals are black rather than death but yea, what he said.

I used to like dysfunction a lot when I was in high school, it was a kind of cross between alice in chains and nu metal. It's still very listenable, imho. Definitely not one of my favorite albums or anything, but it definitely is light years better than stuff by limp bizkit and whatnot.

Break the Cycle made me lose most of my enthusiasm for them, it had a couple cool songs (Can't Believe was definitely my fave, the first song had a couple great riffs, I can't really even remember the rest of it now) but was mostly just bland. The follow-up (## shades of grey) I only listened to once and seemed to be more of the same, I was long since grown out of them by the time it came out.

Their singer gets old if you listen to him too much is my main beef with them, I guess. It's kinda like the chick from Evanescence, I thought she was a good singer the first few times I heard her but after hearing My Immortal on the radio 300 times it was just like STOP WHINING and now every time I hear her I want to punch babies.

Their guitarist is kinda cool. His tone is sorta shit but I like the baritone riffage, he has some rather distinctive guitar work here and there and it's definitely more interesting than the powerchord pastiche of most similar bands.

Don%27t%20feed%20the%20troll.jpg

That is all.

The dude isnt 15 and not knowing what he's talking about. He blatantly gave opeth shit.
Its pretty obvious from his "explanation" post where the cunt says hes 15 and strategically places a couple of spelling mistakes after.
Troll is obvious.

the only problem i have is that i dont hear that much of a resemblance between staind and opeth. i have a few staind albums which i enjoyed 7-8 years ago... but i never realised -until this thread- that the two bands could be considered side by side.

so, my opinion is that tony might easily be a troll.

and if he isnt... well, it's worse... how can i say this?... he is.... DEAF! :lol:

Cave_troll.jpg

see, trolls don't have ears...

so in a Trollish Parallel universe Staind would sound even as death as Morbid Angel, or something...

For the last time I am not a troll. I have come to this forum to talk about music and that is what I plan to do. And what do you mean by "he blatantly gave Opeth shit"? I like Opeth and have not said anything bad about them.

(No spelling mistakes this time, sapob >< And what is so weird about being 15?)

You're almost certainly among the miniscule percentage of Opeth fans who also like Staind. People will look for any reason to give others shit, and unfortunately you walked right into this one. I'd also agree with others that comparing Staind to Opeth is borderline insulting as an Opeth fan.

For the last time I am not a troll. I have come to this forum to talk about music and that is what I plan to do. And what do you mean by "he blatantly gave Opeth shit"? I like Opeth and have not said anything bad about them.

(No spelling mistakes this time, sapob >< And what is so weird about being 15?)

Hey man, If I had known you were only 15, I would'nt have said anything. I got 2 kids age 31 and 29. Look at it this way, as young as you are, you have plenty of years ahead of you to enjoy music. And as time goes on, hopefully you'll realize how completely untalented Staind are. Peace.