Favorite Woods of Ypres Lyrics

phantomfreak

WoY Supporter
Nov 22, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
I was inspired to make this thread from the Ode to Woods thread.

Woods have some incredible and memorable lyrics so what are your favorites. I actually made this list a few months ago for another forum that I am on, this is my:

Top 11 Woods of Ypres Lyrics
NOTE: For this list I stuck to only one line per song.

11) "Life is just pain and piss, it's nothing that I will miss. I'm always doing something to hurt myself just trying to feel alive" (Wet Leather)

10) "While you strive to protect what you already have, for nothing will ever be as good as it was" (Awaiting The Inevitable)

9) "For when you have music you're never alone" (Song Of Redemption)

8) "It was the darkness that kept us together, It was the light that led you away" (The Sun Was In My Eyes: Part Doom)

7) "Looking back, now I realize that the best and worst times in my life could coincide" (The Ghosts Of Summer's Past)

6) "What better way to distract yourself from sadness than to further complicate your crisis to the point where it threatens your own survival" (Into Exile: Can You Get Here In 10 Days?")

5) "Do not deny yourself the pleasures of life, resistance of nature is a painful way to go. Even the savage beast needs love to thrive, follow your instincts and let them run wild." (Natural Technologies)

4) "But what good are memories with no one to stand beside you? What good are memories if those you made them with despise you?" (Years Of Silence (And The Private Joke))

3) "For if you're not dreaming anymore, you're already dead" (Your Ontario Town Is A Burial Ground)

2) "I hope it's cold, everyday, where you are" (A Meeting Place And Time)

1) "The sun taunts you in everything you do. Like a substance that works for everyone else, but has no effect on you" (The Allure Of The Earth)

I am looking forward to seeing if any lyrics from W5 will knock any of these from the list.

2) "I hope it's cold, everyday, where you are" (A Meeting Place And Time)

I think that, while that line isn't bad, by itself it's not particularly special. But when you hear it sung, with that much conviction over the musical explosion in the background - THAT'S what makes that line so emotional and one of my favorites. It's just one of those moments where everything just fits perfectly and couldn't have been done better.

"I hope it's cold, everyday, where you are" (A Meeting Place And Time)

i agree, it's the context that makes this line so powerful, everytime. also, for me, shedding the deadwood is full of potent language and imagery.

-"i knew that my arms could hold out forever, it was my mind that'd grow tired"
-"some wood can be used to help build a life, this wood will be used for building a fire"
-"why carry this deadwood with me, when where i'm going there will be living trees?"
-"i may arrive empty handed..but at least i will arrive"

"These woods are full of hope, these woods are where I walk alone..." (Dragged Across a Forest Floor)

Not the lyrics themselves, but the context, musically as well.

Those are fantastic. I've always really loved that Years Of Silence one. Here's some of my favourites off the top of my head that weren't mentioned in the first one.

"Satisfaction is a peak on the verge of decline, it will be over in the blink of an eye" (The Will To Give)

"Why carry this deadwood with me, when were I am going there will be living trees" (Shedding The Deadwood)

"But old friends still live their lives where I would have died of shame" (Your Ontario Town)

"I still don't care to own anything, I still don't have anything to defend, but less is more than ever before, in transition again" (Our Union)

"I was buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery, alone and unceremoniously" (Mount Pleasant Cemetery)