Favourite Authors

Sabin Frost

Doom makes me happy
Apr 21, 2007
South Australia, Australia
Referring to fictional novels here, not poets, political and non-fictional writers.

As much as people hate him for Scientology (rightfully so) I like L. Ron Hubbard, Battlefield Earth is a masterpiece (the movie as opposed is a load of shit).

I like a lot of science fiction, Issac Assamov would be up there as one of my all time favourite authors, Shirow Masamune is another favourite science fiction writer of mine.

From a fantasy pov, I hold Eddings and Rowling in high regard, I dont mind a lot of Raymond E. Fiest or the assorted authors that write for Games Workshop's black library and wizards forgotten realms based novels. My favourite author however is Robert Jordan, the Wheel of Time has got to be my favourite series of books, one of the greatest series ever written imo, utterly epic and as detailed and complex as Tolkein.

Thomas Ligotti
HP Lovecraft
Bret Easton Ellis
Charles Bukowski
Simon Logan
D Harlan Wilson
Chuck Palahniuk
Neal Stephenson
Neil Gaiman

I'm probably forgetting some...

All these science fiction and fantasy authors and not one mention of Frank Herbert? Dune was amazing but Dune Messiah was fucking mind blowing. Those novels are momuments of science fiction, everybody ought to read those two :] Other authors

J.K. Rowling
Jim Butcher
Timothy Zahn
Lois McMaster Bujold
Dan Simmons, especially Hyperion :]
Orson Scott Card, The Worthing Saga is my favorite, I love that book.
Gene Wolf....if I'm feeling really ambitious. For the Gaimen fans, he's a big fan or her works. And Tori Amos haha...

For fantasy I really enjoy Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. I grew up reading their Dragonlance books and they have a special place in my heart.

HP Lovecraft
Tolkien
Terry Brooks
Frank Herbert
Alexander Dumas
Susan Cooper
Madeline L'Engle
whoever wrote the Black Cauldron and Taran Wanderer, cant remember the name
probably a bunch of other people I cant remember right now

My favourite author however is Robert Jordan, the Wheel of Time has got to be my favourite series of books, one of the greatest series ever written imo, utterly epic and as detailed and complex as Tolkein.
I am reading book 5 atm, and it satisfies my fantasy craving very well. Unfortunately, his female characters often seem to be poorly written and overly focused on sex, but considering the audience, this may have been purposeful.

All these science fiction and fantasy authors and not one mention of Frank Herbert? Dune was amazing but Dune Messiah was fucking mind blowing. Those novels are momuments of science fiction, everybody ought to read those two :] Other authors
YES! My favorite author and book series ever! Each one is a joy. Even his son's prequels/sequels while not as good, a enjoyable scifi.

Virgil
Dante
Homer

Dan Brown
James Rollins
Clive Cussler
Steve Berry

When I was in middle school I read every single book written by John Bellairs, who wrote gothic/horror mystery novels for young adults.

I'm a big fan of Jeffery Deaver, who writes a lot of crime novels. He's the only writed who's books I will read simply because he wrote them. They aren't always great, but I've really enjoyes most of what I've read by him. Otherwise, I don't pay too much attention to the authors.

Also, I emailed him once and he wrote back, so that pretty much made him way cool for life in my book.

I forgot to mention J.D. Salinger, I love The Catcher in the Rye.

YES! My favorite author and book series ever! Each one is a joy. Even his son's prequels/sequels while not as good, a enjoyable scifi.

I've read the first five books so many times haha...I wasn't too big a fan of his son's books - like you said though, not as good but still enjoyable :]

I am reading book 5 atm, and it satisfies my fantasy craving very well. Unfortunately, his female characters often seem to be poorly written and overly focused on sex, but considering the audience, this may have been purposeful.

I wouldn't say that so much, the society they live in is very female dominated. I find some of the characters to be very well written though they do grow in time. You find a lot of difference between the women of different walks of life, the Aiel for example are very much like Amazons, the Aes Sedai are the most powerful people in the world with the biggest political and military influence. I find all the characters fit the context well, the female character that stands out the most later into the series is Egwene, she is very well written.

HP Lovecraft

I kicked myself for forgetting him, definetely. I am also partial to Anne Rice, though how that is related I am not sure.

Bah, too many... A list would include the following, though, and many more:

Dickens
Hemingway
Poe
Lovecraft
Tolstoy
Dostoevsky
George R. R. Martin
Robert E. Howard
maybe Steven Pressfield, but he is a newcomer