favourite bassists

The frantic

Dec 7, 2002
In The Village....
www.franticbleep.com
Other than Steve, who are your favourite bassists?

Here's my list:

cliff2.jpg

Cliff Burton

lesclaypool03.jpg

Les Claypool (primus)

john_scratching_his_head.jpg

John Taylor (Duran Duran)

m-tonylevin1.jpg

Good ol Tony

bassman.jpg

Andy Rourke (The Smiths)

433m80mroberttrujillo.jpg

Monkey Man!

leader397.jpg

Verdine White (Earth Wind & Fire)

rudyqr_image.jpg

Rudy Sarzo (Quiet Riot, Ozzy, Whitesnake etc)

Not a very Metal oriented list, but diverse.

:headbang:

Well, lets see:

Billy Sheehan (Mr. Big, DLR, Steve Vai)
Cliff Burton (Metallica)
John Alderete (Racer X, The Mars Volta)
Robertino Pagliari (Ohm: )
Les Claypool (Primus)
David Ellefson (Megadeth)
Jason Newsted (Metallica)
Duff McKagan (Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver)
Eerie Von (Danzig)
Sean Delson (Fozzy, Stuck Mojo)
Linus of Hollywood (Paul Gilbert)

I guess I can stop there. I kind of stuck a few borderline favorites in there.

The other steve- of MAIDEN.

Ron Royce of the immensly underrated Coroner

Martin Mendez of Opeth

Charles Mingus

Brian Ritchie of the Violent Femmes (they're not emo, dammit..and his picktone is cool)

John Entwhistle

Roger Patterson of Atheist

After the Hippie in perticular order

sean malone
jaco pastorius
bunny brunnel
alex webster
tony choy
roger patterson
alex webster
steve bailey
gary willis
eric langlois

thats all i can think of right now

Favorite bassists besides Steve? There really aren't too many in the metal section I like but:

Electric Bass:

-Jaco Pastorius (Definitely the most arrogant ever; you know he used to introduce himself to other bassists this way, "Hi I'm Jaco P, the best best bass player ever"; how do you take that seriously?)
-Tony Benjamins (of the mighty Forced Entry). Tony also wrote most of the songs I think, so double props.
-John Emery (Anacrusis was interesting...)
-Chris Squire
-Flea

Upright Bassists:

...Too many and they're either dead or not recorded

The above was all from a Drummer's prospective (even though I've also played bass for years and still do from time to time). It's all about the rhythm section.

Steve DiGiorgio
Steve Harris
Sean Malone
Jason Newsted
David Ellefson
Alex Webster
Eric Langlois
Jaco Pastorius
Martin Mendez
Roger Patterson
John Myung
Billy Sheehan
Victor Wooten
Marcus Miller

i really dig:

cliff burton
sean malone
geezer butler
martin mendez

since i'm no drummer, i'm more into bassists that really stand out against the guitars.

Props to whoever said Coroner was "immensly underrated". You should've seen the '89 U.S. tour and how many people showed up for each show, West Coast at least. Pathetic...but good music not being appreciated has more often been the rule not the exception.

Miguel Suerte said:
Props to whoever said Coroner was "immensly underrated". You should've seen the '89 U.S. tour and how many people showed up for each show, West Coast at least. Pathetic...but good music not being appreciated has more often been the rule not the exception.

Hey, ALRIGHT! That was me. I love them. Beyond words.

If I was more than 2 years old in '89, you bet I would been down like a clown. But I was still a toddler, oh well.

I'm still trying to learn Royce's licks- there's a great bass tab of Masked Jackal on www.designvortex.com/coroner , which is a GREAT fan page and forum. I also transposed a guitar tab I found for "Die By My Hand" which is actually a pretty easy song, at least when compared to just about anything on Punishment for Decadence.

In my list i forgot Sean Malone... and also Flea!:oops:

Also, even if i just heard 1 album with this bass player, i was really impressed by Lars K. Norberg's work on the 1st spiral architect album! :headbang:

Does anyone know this band? I think they're great!!

Yeah, I forgot which album I have, I think it has the song "Spinning." I didn't like it very much at all - if you ask me pretty much mindless wankery. It seemed like they were trying to push the boundaries of music, sorta fusionish, but I thought it was a failure.

And as for Jaco, he had every right to introduce himself as the best ever.

I like a lot of what people already mentioned: Superhippy, Steve Harris, Sean Malone, Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, Ron Carter, Roger Patterson, Cliff Burton, Jaco, and Thomas Miller from Symphony X.

Doug Keyser!

Didn't see him being mentioned here yet, but I may have tried to read the list too quickly. To me, and with all due respect to other greats like SDG, the late Roger Patterson, Ronny Broder and many others, Doug is rather clearly no.1. I'm turning a rather blueish purple by now, holding me breath for Mathematics to be recorded and released, but I'll continue to do so until it's out or I'm dead. WatchTower :worship: