favourite bassists

NeverMarty said:
Doug Keyser!

Didn't see him being mentioned here yet, but I may have tried to read the list too quickly. To me, and with all due respect to other greats like SDG, the late Roger Patterson, Ronny Broder and many others, Doug is rather clearly no.1. I'm turning a rather blueish purple by now, holding me breath for Mathematics to be recorded and released, but I'll continue to do so until it's out or I'm dead. WatchTower :worship:

I did mentioned him, great player........as for Watchtower and Mathematic, (don't get me wroung i love the band and have some shows of them on dvds) but they should have pull the plug after control and resistance. Around 16 years for the next album (and still counting) is just not good.

Ah, good, I was getting depressed already. I can't agree on them pulling the plug, though, obviously. The circumstances after the C&R tour were unfortunate: Ron had to get hand surgery, which took years for doctors to correct and him to get back into top shape (which he did, and more), and the others went off to do other things in the meantime, musically and privately. But if the creative fire still burns the way it did, as shown by Ron in his Ink work, and it sounds like it'll be another groundbreaking album (given the snippest that escaped the recording process so far), I say let them go sick to the max, and if it takes another year or two, so be it. The current state of affairs in metal could definitely use an infusion like ED or C&R again, even if it's many years overdue and you can't expect Doug or Rick to give up good jobs for the band anymore.

TheNocturnals said:
Hey, ALRIGHT! That was me. I love them. Beyond words.

If I was more than 2 years old in '89, you bet I would been down like a clown. But I was still a toddler, oh well.

I'm still trying to learn Royce's licks- there's a great bass tab of Masked Jackal on www.designvortex.com/coroner , which is a GREAT fan page and forum. I also transposed a guitar tab I found for "Die By My Hand" which is actually a pretty easy song, at least when compared to just about anything on Punishment for Decadence.

Well, Coroner was great, one of my all time favorite bands actually, but I think there were a lot of underated bands (specifically in the Thrash genre) back in the day. Most of the ones that got popular are overated by some degree or another. The problem Coroner had was that they were always pegged as "the roadies from Celtic Frost". So people were always constantly comparing them to Frost, even though they sounded very little like Frost. When R.I.P. came out, I think the LP jacket had a sticker saying something like "The roadies from Frost have a band!" I knew Switzerland was small but...
There is one saving grace and that is all of their albums except for Grin are in print the last time I checked. This all reminds me of a band we had back in the heday...was a Thrash band but since other members of the band were just badass musicians most of the songs were 5/7, 6/8 or we even had this one in threes that ruled. After a while audiences were tired of us being wierd and the triangle didn't help either. Similar to Coroner? At least they have a recorded legacy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forgot Charles Mingus, Bunny Brunel, and Geezer on the favorite list (hey, I'm trying to diversify by adding some early 70s hard rock icons, already got the progressive list covered.) Might as well add Lemmy too, he ain't flashy, but my god can that man drink whisky to a point where people half his age would croak. In the end favs are all subjective.

coolsnow7 said:
And as for Jaco, he had every right to introduce himself as the best ever.

Yes, he did. I'm not knocking him for it. Although it may have been his ego that got him "murdered" (some people dispute it). He was actually my sole inspiration to play bass which was good because I now live in a closet and hardly ever play the drums -which I'm significantly better at. But yeah, I remember the first cassette I got I was blown away by how inventive the bass playing was. It wasn't gratuitus showmanship of some modern bassists, "Let's see how many notes I can shove into this section", it just ruled for what it was. At one point I even had a similar fender J bass defretted. But then again, don't all heros have some ego?

Disincarnate said:
jonas hellborg that guy is frikkin good.....has anyone here heard him?

I really dig his music, specially the indian stuff with Shawn Lane (RIP).

Nobody here has mentioned Riccardo Pagliari, from OHM.
Another sick fretless madman.

Cheer,
Hakkikt

I have a tendecy to not answer my door, so I never let him in. But, I think he has his own key...

Hello everyone

A very good bassplayer told me that Steve is playing inprecision, some times slow, some times too fast.

What do you think about that?

I'm a big fan of Steve and I'm dont thinks this is true

Brett89 said:
Hello everyone

A very good bassplayer told me that Steve is playing inprecision, some times slow, some times too fast.

Thats just rubbish. Anyone with ears can hear that he's spot-on precise in his playing, even when he uses his footfingers...

Brett89 said:
Hello everyone

I'm a big fan of Steve and I'm dont thinks this is true

First question is why is that considered a bad quality? That can actually make the overall music sound better and if not overused can give it an inverted feeling. The earlier Steve stuff sounds a little like that, but I wouldn't consider it a bad quality.

Miguel Suerte said:
First question is why is that considered a bad quality? That can actually make the overall music sound better and if not overused can give it an inverted feeling. The earlier Steve stuff sounds a little like that, but I wouldn't consider it a bad quality.

yup. how is that a bad thing

Alex Webster
Eric Langlois
Martin Mendez
John Myung
Les Claypool
Victor w00ten

They pretty much all rock.